Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Solution for dp door too high at site?

What to do when my coach (dp with front door) is leveled, but the last step to the ground is way too high? This happens occasionally when the site slopes down in front. I have tried a folding step stool like thing, and a two step stool (collapsible) to aid in exiting the coach, but if the ground is sloping, that is not working well. Has anyone found or made a step extension that hooks onto the existing steps, or to the coach body, to extend steps on down?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you add a step to what you have, you'll be putting too much force on the assembly, by extending it.

Take a look at this folding step. All four legs are adjustable, so you could adjust it for uneven ground.

https://www.recpro.com/recpro-alumin...igC%20Shopping
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #3

Going by what industrial aluminum step/s without adjustable legs, just thinner pipes go for, that's a great deal and solution. Now on my want list, darn it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have that step. But, at a couple of sites, it was not enough. My wife cannot handle 12" plus rise to get into coach.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #5

They seem to have more options
https://rv-co.com/port-a-step.html
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you add a step to what you have, you'll be putting too much force on the assembly, by extending it.

Take a look at this folding step. All four legs are adjustable, so you could adjust it for uneven ground.

https://www.recpro.com/recpro-alumin...igC%20Shopping
We have the same folding step and like it. As DS Don said each leg can be adjusted separately and they each lock in place so you don't have to worry about a leg collapsing. Also I think they come in different sizes.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #7

1) Are you dumping air before you level? I was high in the front once, blamed it on the site (it truly wasn't level..) but it would have been way better if I had not forgotten to dump air prior to setting jacks...

2) I carry some 2x10 slabs for helping level when boondocking. If I need an extra step on the stairs, I stack them there. If it's sloped, slip a short piece of 1x4 or 2x4 under one edge.
Put non-skid on 1 that will be the top.
You can glue thin rubber to the bottom of them to help them not slip around, or screw them together, or drill holes in them and drop in pegs... I have seen several solutions. If you are only here for a week, it's a simple solution with supplies you are carrying anyhow. And you can create the size you need in 2" increments.

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for great suggestions.

I particularly like the RV-CO porta-steps, but the stacked wood planks with pegs has merit and is cheaper. I will investigate both (weight, storage, cost). I admit, most times I don't need extra steps, or the folding adjustable platform is sufficient. So, don't want to spend too much on little used item.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #9

You might consider one of the adjustable RV steps as each leg can be adjusted for length and so it will sit level, on uneven ground. It is what we use.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door