Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Some outlets not working

I've got three outlets that no longer have power. The breakers seem solidly in the on position. No GFIs appear to be tripped. I've reset both. I had this issue for three months back in the summer but it seemed to resolve itself and they've been working fine until today.
ricktig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktig View Post
I've got three outlets that no longer have power. The breakers seem solidly in the on position. No GFIs appear to be tripped. I've reset both. I had this issue for three months back in the summer but it seemed to resolve itself and they've been working fine until today.
Where are these outlets located?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:

Sometimes they seem on and are not try turning off then back on the breaker. Sounds like a gfi or breaker since 3 outlets are out.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

Odd mix of outlets...front thermostat and heat pump, front TV, rear TV, rear desk outlet, satellite prep outlet, passenger seat outlet.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Odd mix of outlets...front thermostat and heat pump, front TV, rear TV, rear desk outlet, satellite prep outlet, passenger seat outlet.
Being TV outlets I would start at the inverter. See if it has a GFI outlet on it that needs reset. Be sure there is 12 volts to the inverter.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

As a retired electrician and owner of an older motor home I'll toss my $.02 worth in. I purchased a 1998 Winnebago DP and inspecting everything that I knew to inspect after the purchase I noticed that my Converter was making some noise. the House batteries were sulfated so I replaced them. The they would not charge. Checked the converter and there was no output, so I replaced the converter. Should have checked the supply to the converter first as there was no power to the circuit supplying it. Opened the electrical panel and found a couple of wires showed signs of excessive heating. Disconnected all power to that panel and upon closer inspection I found every connection in that panel to be loose. I did just as i had done for about 30 years. I removed the ends of the wires that had been overheating, tightened every connection in the panel, including replacing a couple of breakers that i did not like the looks of and, Voila, everything now works as it should. Even the microwave and coffee pot seem to be working better.

I also opened each outlet and tightened every screw I could find. Now I have a 20 year old coach with a new converter and an older converter that still works and I am keeping it "just in case".
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Being TV outlets I would start at the inverter. See if it has a GFI outlet on it that needs reset. Be sure there is 12 volts to the inverter.
--------------------

I'm of the KISS Group - think this should be where you will find the Problem.

12 v is needed for the thermostate so that takes out the Heat Pump, the other outlets should all be on the Inverter As they generally will work when you boondock or are underway - Check batteries for charge and connections and the reset button on the Inverter.

Let us know what you find.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

I called Winnebago and they helped me locate the inverter in a basement compartment. It had a blown fuse. A simple reset restored power to the outlets. Thanks for your help! I now have a better understanding of what an inverter does as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I called Winnebago and they helped me locate the inverter in a basement compartment. It had a blown fuse. A simple reset restored power to the outlets. Thanks for your help! I now have a better understanding of what an inverter does as well.
The issue with the thermostat was a blown fuse. A simple replacement restored power.