Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Source Engineering Fan

Has any one installed the Source Engineering fan on their M/H? I want to install one just for the noise reduction. How ever they don"t recommend it for my 2000 Harney on the magnum chassis with the 3126B cat. They say it may cause overheating. I don't think so but, they maybe right. Anyone have any experience on this subject?
Thanks
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Originally, they were made/designed for the Roadmaster chassis (Monaco). Monaco stacks their charge air cooler on top of the radiator, while most others stack one in front of the other. The Monaco system cools better with less dirt issues.

I installed the fan on my Monaco Diplomat (400 ISL) and immediately noticed a seat of the pants power increase. On the 400 ISL, you don't gain 25 HP, you return 25 HP back to the engine. If I had to do it again, I would install the fan again. It was a pretty easy install on mine.

One CON is that you lose a smidge of exhaust brake power since the fan is more efficient.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Source Engineering fan

Thanks to all who replied to my post, I have contacted Source Engineering about the application to my coach.
Busyguy
Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have wanted to install a source engineering fan on my 08 Endeavor for over a year.... It's on my list. The shop that I spoke to, (Brazels) said they could not tell me how much the install would be until they looked at the coach. Said they can be extremely difficult on some rigs...

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I have wanted to install a source engineering fan on my 08 Endeavor for over a year.... It's on my list. The shop that I spoke to, (Brazels) said they could not tell me how much the install would be until they looked at the coach. Said they can be extremely difficult on some rigs...

Here's an old thread that you might find helpful: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sour...s-86104-3.html In particular, you might find interesting post #40 by user YC1

I had a local shop install the Source Engineering Fan on my '09 Diplomat. It looked to me like it could be more difficult than I wanted to attempt myself and I was concerned that, once started, it really had to be completed. I didn't want to end up towing the Diplomat to a shop to have them finish for me.

I didn't watch the installation. The shop did complain that it was a difficult installation. Gaining access from above still leaves it awkward to reach; same problem from below.

The thread above suggests that some have had little difficulty doing the installation themselves. My sense is that it very much depends on your particular model coach.

I've been happy that I had it done, primarily for the noise reduction. Hooking up the toad with the engine idling was very NOISY. I didn't notice any "seat of the pants" increase in power, as some have described. Perhaps my seat has too much padding. With so many variables affecting fuel economy, I'm reluctant to attribute any fuel economy improvement to the fan installation.

How does the saying go? Your mileage may vary!

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Source Engineering Fan

Just to let those that are interested know, I received my Ultra Fan from Source Engineering last Friday and couldn't wait to get it installed. Started on it about 7 pm and by 9 I was done. Easy to get to the bolts on the hub if you have long arms. I do. The hardest part was getting the old fan out of the hatch in the floor of the bedroom. Ended up cutting a small piece of aluminum tube out of the way and the fan came right out. Install was real easy. The noise reduction is amazing and it looks to be well built and runs smooth.
Will take it out tomorrow and see if it performs as stated. Source Engineering will not guarantee it as they can't say if it will or will not cause my coach to run hot. I guess I am the first one to install one of these on a magnum chassis coach. I am keeping the old fan and can always go back to the original set up.
Busyguy
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
'busyguy"......I said I could feel seat of the pants improvement.....let me clarify. I'm very particular and sensitive to what my coach can do. Part of that comes from a lot of hours behind the wheel of my Diplomat, out west, running mountains on a routine basis. On acceleration, I could tell the coach was a little quicker. The biggest improvement was accelerating at speed, like when I was passing. My 60mph - 70mph acceleration was quicker. It wasn't lightning fast, but there was a good improvement.

Like I said, the only con was a slight loss of exhaust brake power. That old fan causes sooo much drag, it was helping with exhaust braking.

Good luck with the fan......I think you'll like the improvements, both noise and acceleration. The sond in the cab of the coach was also substantially reduced.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

Source Engineering Fan

Thanks DSD
Will get the coach out today and see how it goes. Really like the sound reduction. Really wasn't that hard to do so won't be that hard to change it back if it causes problems.
Busyguy
Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine took longer to get the tools out than it did to install, but I was lucky and had an engine hatch directly over the fan.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Great info to know!
I had not heard of this fan, and will have to check into this feature!

Everything else sSource has done or supplied for us has been fan-tastic! (pun intended!!!)
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Source EngineeringFan

Well, Just got back from a 40 mile trip in the coach with the new fan. I was really impressed with it. Very quite and as DSD said it seems the coach shifted smoother and was more powerful. Can't say it was for sure but, it felt like it. Water temp was 195 during the trip and the Allison ran at 205 where it usually does.
So I am a really happy camper and if anyone needs more info I will be happy to help.
Thanks for all the input and comments.
Busyguy

By the way the total cost was $600.00 including shipping.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds great!
So I went to the Source Web site, is it just the fan blade that is replaced?
It sounded from reading the post here it was more of a kit of some sort.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

source engineering fan

It is only the fan. Old one off and new one on. Not a hard job. Hardest was getting to the bolts on the hub and getting the fan out. Just takes some figuring out but, not a hard job.
Busyguy
Old 06-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post

I can tell you exactly how to change it since I have an 08 Endeavor. It is an easy job other than having to take the closet doors off for better access. I have pictures too.

I would do this mod in an instant again. As Don mentions the seat of the pants improvement is amazing. The noise level drop on mine was a measured 5 db. Yes you lose some down hill engine braking due to the loss of fan drag but sure worth the extra .5mpg and acceleration.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fan-...isl-94232.html

There are lots of threads on this. Go to the top of the page and put in Source Fan in the little google area and lots of links will come up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fan