Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

Source for Receiver Hitch Assembly.

What’s a good source to find hitch assemblies that will fit my 02 American Tradition? I want to upgrade to a larger capacity hitch.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Need a source for hitch upgrade

Looking for good sources for receiver hitches to fit my Spartan chassis. Posted this on the Spartan chassis discussing also.
I have an ‘02 American Tradition 40’ DP.
I’ve seen better hitches on other DP’s on the same chassis as mine so I know they are available. And looking at the beef of the rear frame-section...no doubt it will support more tongue weight.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #3

First, ensure the RV is rated for whatever the planned weight and tongue weight there will be.

You can get a hitch made at U-Hauls and places that specialize in doing just that.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If the current hitch is a T... single cross member with receiver welded to just it, you can improve it by making it a H. “As a welder by trade” add another cross member 12” in front of the current and then weld a longer receiver tube on top or under the current one.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
If the current hitch is a T... single cross member with receiver welded to just it, you can improve it by making it a H. “As a welder by trade” add another cross member 12” in front of the current and then weld a longer receiver tube on top or under the current one.

Well being a lazy “welder by trade” lol I’d rather buy a hitch already built and then I am going to build a platform for my golf cart to ride on. I’m looking for a hitch with three receivers I’ve seen them but didn’t know where to find one and was trying to avoid having to build one.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
First, ensure the RV is rated for whatever the planned weight and tongue weight there will be.

You can get a hitch made at U-Hauls and places that specialize in doing just that.

Looking for a pre-built hitch I can install myself or I will just build it myself if I have to. I already have some other fabrication in mind was just trying to skip ahead.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

I am not familiar with the Spartan chassis but if it is like the Ford the main issue with installing a heavier hitch (assuming you want to tow more weight) is that most coach chassis are all the same length. The coach manufacture just tacks on and extension to the original chassis. Almost every extension is no where as strong as the factory chassis and many I have seen are a joke. Putting a bigger hitch on, if you are going to do it right and in a way that won’t destroy your coach, is going to take some serious chassis reinforcements. Please check this and carefully consider the weight you are pulling, tongue weight, where the stock chassis ends and so some upgrades.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

e-trailers. Good pricing, great install videos and lots of other stuff.

I would agree on the making sure that your frame will handle the extra loading.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Well being a lazy “welder by trade” lol I’d rather buy a hitch already built and then I am going to build a platform for my golf cart to ride on. I’m looking for a hitch with three receivers I’ve seen them but didn’t know where to find one and was trying to avoid having to build one.
Several motorcycle lifts and the swivel trailer use dual receivers.
But especially if you want more than the standard single, you will end up having to get that fabricated because there are low odds you will find a triple for your particular rig. Be happy to find a single for your Rig.

If you are a welder (a good one) then spend a few hours and get er done.

Even if you aren't a great welder, then cut and tack weld it together, and bring it to a good welder to stitch it together. I would make a jig to keep the three tubes in alignment, straight to each other and width distance located during welding.
Get the dimensions from the motorcycle / swivel trailer to copy their dimensions just so yours isn't the only one that is X inches in width.

You might want to start by tacking the tubes to a rectangular bar, and then weld the assy to the primary hitch support. Heck you might want to keep that rectangular bar as additional support...
Old 03-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

I agree with SteveJ. Call E-Trailer, if they don't have it, it probably isn't made. All kidding aside I have used them many time and they are knowledgeable and priced right.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #11

Thanks for the help guys!

To answer some of the above mentioned concerns... my DP’s frame is actually beefier at the rear of the coach and the upper main part of the frame travels the length of the coach all the way to the back. But I will contact Spartan for recommendations on max hitch capacity.
As far as my welding abilities... Certified structural welder, all position/unlimited thickness. 40 years with Caterpillar dealers repairing and modifying earth moving equipment. I have a pretty good handle on the fabrication, design and welding required.
I was just hoping to start with a standard design and expand on that, but am completely competent to design and fab something up from scratch.
I will check eTrailer and go to the Reese site and poke around some tonight.
When shopping for our DP I noticed more than one rig with a triple receiver hitch that was a factory built product not a one-off but I neglected to get a brand name from either of them.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I doubt you will find a hitch with 3 receivers on it. I’ve added 2 extra receivers to the 2 rigs below. After reading all the things you’re supposed to disconnect before welding on a DP I bolted them on the outside of the hitch side rails. Had to tig the alum radiator and only disconnected all the batteries without any problems so on the Navigator I welded the 2 extra receivers on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8C7CE8E-A804-4F08-AEAF-1933BEC81611.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	276998  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

Source for receiver hitch assembly.

Name:	IMG_2208.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	277001
This is all I have found so far. Apparently not available any more. I’ll fab something myself using 2.5” receivers.
Disconnecting all batteries is a must when welding on anything with a computer. CAT equipment has a single simple battery disconnect switch.

Name:	IMG_2207.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	277005
Old 03-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #14

That blueox kit would have saved some time. But if you are a fabricator / welder, nothing you can't do yourself. Just get the parts from Harbor Freight et al (receiver tubes) and make your own. If you have a plasma cutter, that helps cut the side plates. Or a right angle grinder...

Tags
upgrade