Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #1

Sources for service in addition to RV and Ford Dealerships

As a full timer with a Class A gas coach and six years under my belt, I have been frustrated by having to wait weeks and even months to get even scheduled maintenance. What are your suggestions for alternative sources from emergency assistance to simple tasks like lube, oil and filter service?

Truck centers like Pilot and TA Travels centers have shops but I have no idea if they are set up to service a Class A Coach with a Ford V-10 engine.

I'd appreciate any advice about how to identify qualified, honest service providers.
rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2023, 01:34 PM   #2

Following….I had a hard time finding someone to do oil change. Ended up at Camping world for $230 bucks!!!
CyndiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #3
NXR

Call the local motorhome dealers and ask where they have their chassis service done.

We use a local shop that actually does a lot of motorhomes but the only clue from their web site is a picture of their bay doors and one has a motorhome. The only way we knew about them was because the City uses them for their truck repairs and we used to work for the City. They've done suspension upgrades for us and will be replacing our tires later this year. But their advertising and web site are directed to car owners because there are a whole lot more of those.

That might be another alternative. Check out the web sites for the local municipalities and call their City Service department and ask where they get their truck work done. They may or may not tell you, though.

Ray
Old 05-10-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For routine lubing, find a Speedco on your path of travel and have them due the lube work. For something like a generator service, find a local mobile guy and use him if the park allows. The mobile guys are also good for other RV repairs. Ask the park or other RVer's for recommendations. I find mobile guys typically have a pretty good reputation or they go out of business.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mobile automobile/truck techs can perform service on the v10, and they also have info on facilities in their area that will work on class A coaches. I needed to get a wheel alignment and searched for hours for those that could handle a 40' class A, a quick call to a local mobile tech and he suggested 3 service centers that would work on our rig.

Truthfully, I perform routine oil changes on our rig's engine, Alison tranny, and rear differential, not a mechanic but I am handy with tools. It eliminates the hassle with taking rig in, waiting... sometime for days, and returning to pick up and store coach afterwards. Our neighbors on the other hand prefer to take their rigs in for service.
SandiaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:03 PM   #6

Ford Dealer

I live in a small town (pop about 14,000) We have a GM and Ford dealer. My Ford dealer is more than happy to do oil changes, batteries they even fixed my daytime running lights under warranty. I have a 35 foot Class A. They don't have a lift but I believe they they would service anything they could get to.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:48 PM   #7

You might be surprised at how many privately-owned automotive maintenance and repair shops that have enough room in their garage or their lot, would be willing to do routine maintenance on a motorhome ...especially a gas engine coach.

Also, since it appears you're in Texas, have you ever considered this service that is mobile? I've heard people talk about it but not sure how good they are. Their posted prices seem "relatively" reasonable:

RV Mobile Lube

RV Mobile Lube - Services & Prices

I'm not sure exactly their service area as the map only appears to show the big metro areas of Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. If interested, maybe give them a call to find out?: (866) 785-8237
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:30 PM   #8

I just found this site today and it seems like it may be useful to find mobile techs. I have not used it, but made a note of the link in case I ever need the service of a mobile tech. http://rvtaa.org.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #9

If staying in a RV park, ask if there is a mobile tech that does oil changes. We have been at many that have advertisements in the parks flier that list mobile and S&B RV services. Even wash and wax at good rates. We used one several times. They don't always carry the oil filter especially for diesel, so purchase one and they will install it for you. I know you do not have a diesel, but it would not cost much to carry one.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, ford, service