Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
SC has a few surprises for sure. Our son just transferred from Wash ST. with Boeing and was shocked by having to pay Personal Property Tax on all his cars and other toys.
But on the flipside you only pay $300 sales tax on any vehicle. $300 on a yacht, airplane, Cadillac, $500k RV. SC's gas tax is about the lowest in the country. The PP tax can be quite hefty.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #30

We fought a four year long war to keep you Yankees out of here. We lost and ever since the Yankees just come in droves. I've been trying to shut the door and send all the Yankees back to their northern home, but I haven't had success. You could help by just staying away.

Remember, you don't have to travel in South Carolina at all. Just go around and stop the garbage.

Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #31

I love South Carolina If I didn't already live here I would move here
We have Smiling Faces and Beautiful places and we also have Steve Spurrier
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This has absolutely no place here, let's get back on topic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #33

What happens if you do not tow for the road test.

SC has a lot to offer (former Tega Cay resident) and is on the list for when we leave Florida.

However, we do not tow and will never tow.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #34

If you don't tow, and your MH GVWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. you need a Class E driver's license.

Wil
Old 11-14-2014, 04:04 AM   #35

GVWR is 29,500 and I'm towing a Grand Cherokee.
johnnyb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I love South Carolina If I didn't already live here I would move here
We have Smiling Faces and Beautiful places and we also have Steve Spurrier
Quite a few years my wife and I began golfing in Myrtle Beach. Over the years we learned that there's much more to SC than golf. We absolutely love it here! The people are all so very friendly and low key. We enjoy taking the Harley on back roads and value our proximity to Charleston. The food is wonderful and the weather is much nicer than up North. By voicing my frustration about SC's special RV driver's license, I meant no distaste for SC or disrespect to its fine residents. Actually, I'm resolve to accept this law as a way to help me become a better and safer motorhome driver. These things are HUGE and can cause some serious damage or harm to innocent folks is not driven skillfully and with care.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb24 View Post
GVWR is 29,500 and I'm towing a Grand Cherokee.
From the SC DMV manual.

Class F:
Allows you to drive non-commercial, combination

vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
Examples of Class F vehicles include trucks and motor homes
with a towed trailer or vehicle. With a Class F driver’s license,

You will need the Class F license. Note the word "combined." That means the GVWR of the MH + the GVWR of the toad.

It will surprise you how many 32 to 35 ft. motor homes towing will exceed 26,000 GVWCR (Gross Vehicle Weight Combination Rating).

Stay safe and Good Luck!
Wil

Wil
Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
The Tiffin archives go back to 2005. That archive shows a 38 ft. Bus to have GVWR of 32,000 lbs., but as delivered, it weighs about 25,000 lbs. That coach will require the driver to have the special license.

I will be very surprised if your 1997 Bus has a GVWR that is 26,000 lbs. or less.

Wil

Here it is:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416336733.737844.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	79347

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
You can go to the testing site anytime they are closed and practice on the actual test site. They are closed all day Saturday and Sundy.

On the test site you will be required to:

1. Inspect the outside of the MH with the inspector.

2. Check all lights.

3. Show your wheel chucks and warning devices (three are requires).

4. Test the air brakes, using the inspector's commands, if you have them.

5. Without the toad, drive the serpentine course without touching any od the cones.

6. Without the toad connected, drive forward and stop at a white line. You must look straight ahead. You can't look out the side windows. You can't allow any part of the MH to be over the line, but must be close to it.

7. You must back 100' in a straight line without crossing the side boundaries. The lane is 15' wide.

8. Back up and make a 90 degree turn into a simulated loading dock. You can't let the rear of the MH touch the rear marker, but the rear wheels must be in a makred rectangle. It's about 2' long.

You can pull up to correct three times, but you can't let any part of the MH cross the far side boundary.

9. If you pass all of that, you'll hook up the toad and do the road test. It's about 45 minutes and about 15 miles long. You will do all of the maneuvers normally done on the road. In addition, you will demonstrate how to make an emergency stop.

The test will stop if you fail any part of it. The test won't continue after that failure. I don't know they reschedule such a test since I passed the first time.
This was a great help. My wife and I went over to the Conway testing course and practiced for a few hours. I'm scheduled to take my test on Dec 22nd and will practice on the course a few times before then. Unbelievably, I'm having the most difficult time driving up to the line and stopping close without going over. Having to continually look forward makes it tougher.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #40

Took my test last week at the Ladson DMV, in and out in a couple of hrs. Folks there were friendly and quick. Got my "F" license and ready to travel.
Lakescepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Here it is:Attachment 79347

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Sometimes those weight rating abbreviations get confusing.If you are towing, the controlling value is the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).If you are not towing, the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is controlling.

In this case, a Class E license will not be required to drive the rig without a toad (25,000 GVWR), but a Class F License will be required if pulling a toad (30,000 GCWR).

Stay safe with the proper license.
Good Luck!
Wil
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #42

I'm really shocked about this news. I have lived here in SC for 61 yrs and Have had rv's for 40 of those years, all towables. I have know many that have motorhomes that drive with a regular license never a problem. Go figure. My question out of curiosity is I have a Class A CDL (trucker) I wonder if this license would cover me in a motorhome regardless of the size. I tow a 38 ft. fifth wheel now so I assume I'm ok with my license. Just curious.
Cary
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote