Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Had to be said, too true......

So maybe there's a market/need out there to train new and some experienced RV drivers the way we train new truck drivers.

Why not? I think the concept could help many of us improve as safe drivers, and increase the comfort factor as we operate our coaches.

I'm sure as more states adopt the special license requirement for RV's, we will lose some RV'ers as not everyone will want to deal with whatever it takes to get the license.

DTW

I got my Non Commercial class B Md. license about 3 years ago. My main concern is if you are required to have the license in your state and you are at fault in an accident they are going to say you were not qualified to drive that vehicle! It wasn't a big deal to get the license!
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #30

South Carolina over 26000 lb. Driver’s License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
How exactly did studying the book and paying a fee make you better able to drive your rig? Perhaps you are better able to understand your systems but accidents are rarely the cause of systems....

Read the CDL manual and practice the moves. Then you will KNOW and feel better.
I easily and confidently negotiate my 42 and toad through buttonhook turns in city traffic. No scrubbed tires, no curb climbing. You?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Read the CDL manual and practice the moves. Then you will KNOW and feel better.
I easily and confidently negotiate my 42 and toad through buttonhook turns in city traffic. No scrubbed tires, no curb climbing. You?
Respectfully, you aren't driving well because you passed a test. You drive well because of natural abilities you use, combined with experience and a desire to do well.

A test doesn't give you any physical or mental skills that you didn't have before you paid the fee.

No training is given that's like a private pilot gets; having an instructor ride with you for hours. We didn't learn to back up by listening to somebody tell us what to do. We OJT, with or without a special license.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The SC DMV needs to 1) rewrite these regs before some lawyer gets hold of them, 2) send their staff to remedial English class.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #33

South Carolina over 26000 lb. Driver’s License

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Respectfully, you aren't driving well because you passed a test. You drive well because of natural abilities you use, combined with experience and a desire to do well.

A test doesn't give you any physical or mental skills that you didn't have before you paid the fee.

No training is given that's like a private pilot gets; having an instructor ride with you for hours. We didn't learn to back up by listening to somebody tell us what to do. We OJT, with or without a special license.

Natural ability is good. But it did not teach me how to understand and diagnose air brake issues, nor the buttonhook turn.
I read the CDL and learned beyond...
I have seen enough rigs with gouges of experience.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #34

Inspired by this thread, I took my SC Class F knowledge test on Monday (the first Monday of the month at lunch time is not a good time to go to the DMV). Some of the questions were strictly related to DCL (how to hook up a tractor trailer). All in all the knowledge test was pretty easy.

I have scheduled the skills test in two weeks. Fortunately the testing site is less than two miles from my house. For those of you who have been through the SC Class E or F skills test, what kind of pre-departure check do they do? I understand the brakes and other safety checks, but do you have to demonstrate familiarity with the engine and belts, as with the CDL? I would appreciate any information.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting to hear all of the strangely ambiguous drivers license classes definitions. I am sure most of the regulation was thrown together hastily in a effort to attempt driver qualification.

More than likely strings will tighten and legislation will force stringent restriction as time passes. I wonder how many elderly will be impacted once this occurs and the negative fallout that will impose upon the RV Industry.

I checked in my area, NB Canada and as like many it was vague. It appears I don't require anything and the only limitation is that I am unable to tow anything with air brakes weighing more that 10000lbs. I kept reading and found that I could attain a letter of endorsement for vehicles with air brakes. Made no sense and I called to inquire, "we will look into it and get back to you". I asked for an email stating I am not liable.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #36

Really the only thing that they did at precheck had to do with the air breaks. I just did what they told me to do. Pumped them down until button pop out. Checked to see how fast they leaked down, checked to see how fast the tanks filled back up. Now that was in Rock Hill, it may not be the same at other locations. Did put wheel chocks under rear wheels when I got there. If I can help let me know.
REV40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Never heard of this before. Guess I have been breaking the law. Googled it and I now see it. Sheesh!

Can't figure out what book you read to take the written test? Guess I need to get my permit, and work on a person to ride with me for the test.

Anybody know which book I study?

L.
The basic driver's handbook and the CDL book (both on-line at SCDOT) are what you need to study. There will be a couple questions that are peculiar to tractor trailers, but you can go ahead and burn them if you do well on the rest.

From what I gather, the local testing office has never seen a fully licensed driver show up with the person who is to take the Class E and Class F skills test. Seems to be a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. In my case, my MH. is rated at 27000 GMVW. I can argue that the GVW is less than 26000 and that I drove the MH and TOAD to the test site separately (I plan to get there before they open)
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:03 AM   #38

With all the confusion about what the DMV considers a qualifying license, If it were a choice I had to make, I would just get a regular class (B) CDL.

With that you are covered to operate any size MH, pulling trailer or not. It's the same license you need to drive a bus.

Air brake systems are covered, and the study material is closer to what you may not know, but need to know about carrying passengers.

The standards for this license have been establish, and are standard across the country.

Just my opinion.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #39

Driving test and parking lot maneuvers for SC

Key items that I recall on the parking lot are the stop at a line, and the back up into the alley. They give partial credit depending on how close to the line you come. Backing into the alley I was happy to hit directly between the lines, but they had a deduction for crossing a line on the other side of the parking lot. These are things you need to go to the DMV site and practice on a weekend when they are not there prior to showing up for the test.

For the driving portion, assuming you feel confident about your driving, things to watch for are the emergency stop. Make sure you set brakes and put on flashers. Keep to right lane unless you need to make a left turn. Don't follow too closely. If you are towing for a class F you will need to hook up the toad and check the lights. Depends on testing officer as to how much you need to do. He will let you know. Watch for overhead clearance sign. Mine observed me taking note of it and did not ask about it during test. When I asked later, he said that he was watching my observation. Many subtle things. Read the manual to pick up on these.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #40

Someone need to have their dash cam running, during the test for any state, so the rest of us can see what these tests are like
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Someone need to have their dash cam running, during the test for any state, so the rest of us can see what these tests are like

My drive test would have proved I stayed between the lines, could park, and didn't hit anything. No big deal
Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #42

For the sake of learning things, I logged onto the SCDMV site and took the Practice Test for the CDL license. passed, but got this question wrong:

A driver of a vehicle need not stop upon meeting a stopped school bus when traveling in the opposite direction on a multi-lane highway or multi-lane private road.

It doesn't mention divided roads, so I (incorrectly) said False.

I've always stopped for buses letting kids off. What did I need to know in order to answer True?

Tags
driver