Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Smile Southwind 2008 Fleetwood Questions

I purchased a used 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 32S. (about 34')
I have questions.

What's that "motor noise" I hear when I turn the key on (before starting the engine)? It seems to come from the area in front of the driver's seat behind the dashboard. It changes (or another sound is added) if I press on the brake pedal.

In the basement compartment to the left of the door (2nd door) there is a 120volt plug, rf antenna connection and RCA audio connections. There is also a length of cable with a plug on it. What's this plug for?

The LPG indicator on the wall display and the round dial indicator at the tank don't agree with each other. Which should I believe?

What is the correct tire pressure?

The headlights are always on when the motor is running. Is this normal? (Daytime running lights?)

The fog lights will not come on. Where is the fuse located? And is there a diagram listing the fuses in the fuse box located under the driver's side dash?

How far should I be able to pull out the water hose in the "sewer" compartment area? Mine seems very short.

How do you remove the front TV from the wall mount bracket? I want to put in a bigger TV.

I have several more questions, but will add them later.
nondropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondropframe View Post
I purchased a used 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 32S. (about 34')
I have questions.

What's that "motor noise" I hear when I turn the key on (before starting the engine)? It seems to come from the area in front of the driver's seat behind the dashboard. It changes (or another sound is added) if I press on the brake pedal.

If it's a diesel, it could be the vacuum pump. In a gasser, it might be the fuel pump. What chassis do you have?

In the basement compartment to the left of the door (2nd door) there is a 120volt plug, rf antenna connection and RCA audio connections. There is also a length of cable with a plug on it. What's this plug for?

What kind of cable and what type of plug? It sounds like the RF and RCA audio might be a set up for an outside TV.

The LPG indicator on the wall display and the round dial indicator at the tank don't agree with each other. Which should I believe?

Usually the gauge on the tank is more accurate. It's mechanical attached to a float in the tank. Get the LP tank filled and then read each gauge.

What is the correct tire pressure?

Correct pressure can only be determined by loading the RV as for a trip, take it to a scale and have it weighed. Then look up proper tire pressure according to tables found at the tire maker's website. The sticker next to the driver is usually the maximum PSI, not a real accurate way to inflate tires.

The headlights are always on when the motor is running. Is this normal? (Daytime running lights?)

Daylight running lights for safety and required in Canada.

The fog lights will not come on. Where is the fuse located? And is there a diagram listing the fuses in the fuse box located under the driver's side dash?

Check the website of Fleetwood for wiring diagrams. Here's a link to the owner's manual:

http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservi..._SOUTHWIND.pdf

How far should I be able to pull out the water hose in the "sewer" compartment area? Mine seems very short.

Again, check the manual. Perhaps previous owner used a short hose.

How do you remove the front TV from the wall mount bracket? I want to put in a bigger TV.

Look from the side and bottom of the TV, usually flat screen TV will lift off the mount after releasing latch or set screw to lock it on the bracket.

I have several more questions, but will add them later.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

The panel under the tv above the dash, has to be removed. It has 2 or 4 screws. You might have to pop a couple of decorative caps off. Then access the mount from behind the tv.
McLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Brake Booster, take your foot off the pedal.

Outside TV

Should be about 4 feet

Welcome to the forum, I was dumber than a bag of hammers when I joined, slightly better now.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #5

This noise happens before I put my foot on the pedal. If I put my foot on the pedal there is a different noise.

What's this plug for?
Outside TV

Where does this plug into the TV? I have a separate AC outlet and a separate antenna connection and a separate RCA video/audio port. This plug is black, rectangular, about 1/2" x 3/4" and has red, blue, black, and white wires. It is on the end of about a 3' cable.

If it's a diesel, it could be the vacuum pump. In a gasser, it might be the fuel pump. What chassis do you have?

It is a Ford Triton. Remember, there are two sets of noises. And they happen before I start the engine.

Check the website of Fleetwood for wiring diagrams. Here's a link to the owner's manual:

This is the useless manual that only has this to say about my question:
3. 12-volt Chassis Fuses - This electrical
panel is located under the driver's side
dash area.

I have not been able to find a diagram that shows what each fuse protects. Where can I find that?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondropframe View Post

This noise happens before I put my foot on the pedal. If I put my foot on the pedal there is a different noise.
I am going to mine in storage tomorrow, I'll turn the key on and make note of what happens. It may start the "racket" prior to touching the brake. I do know it don't quit until I take my foot of the pedal. Annoying isn't it
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started my coach this morning being careful to not touch the brake pedal. As you stated the "noise" starts immediately with key on, and it ceases with engine start. I attribute it to a brake booster, perhaps needed when engine vacuum is not available, JMHO.

My starting habit regardless of vehicle is foot on brake, so I was misleading myself with the thought removing my foot was relevant.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #8

My thought also was that it might be a brake booster but wouldn't it stop when enough vacuum was built up? As far as I know it goes on forever.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

- those two noises upon start up are normal and have been identified by earlier posters.

- connections in that storage compartment are for a TV if you want. If you have the Dirt Devil vacuum system the power cord also plugs into that AC outlet.

- I too have a CDN 32V which, by regulation, has daytime running lights

- My wall mounted tank status gauge errors on the generous side for the propane level.....marginally.

- With respect to fuse locations etc I would suggest you contact Fleetwood and they will happily email you schematics of everything they have. Have your Fleetwood ID ready which can be found on the plate by the drivers door.

- I installed a new larger LCD TV in the overhead cabinet this past winter and posted instructions on this forum from my experience.

It's a great motorhome....enjoy!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

The noise you are hearing is an emergency backup boost for your power brake system. Your booster runs off of the power steering pump and uses the hydraulic fluid to provide boost. When you turn the key on a flow switch triggers the backup motor to provide hydraulic boost, and turns on a buzzer. Very important that you hear that every time you start up. In case you lose your power steering belt, pump failure or the engine dies while the coach is moving, that is the only way you can stop. Steady pressure on the pedal will stop you. Gotta have that! Be safe and happy travels.
Larry n Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2007 Southwind 35A and it sounds like the Emergency Brake booster, I purchased my RV used two years ago. Last year I had it in the shop (Workhorse certified vendor) to address some issues with my jacks, as they did a total check up on the RV they told me that the booster pump was defective as it was running all the time. The replacement part was just over $3,000 (including labor) fortunately I had taken out an extended Warranty from Wholesale Warranties which covered the costs for the pump and the jacks. I was out about $400 for the deductible; pump now runs when needed but shuts off most of the time.
CurtsRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, southwind