Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Southwind Battery Disconnect Switches

The battery disconnect switches in my 2005 Southwind (F53) have stopped working so I am unable to disconnect for long term storage. It started with the chassis switch working intermittently then not at all, now neither that or the aux switch will work. Any ideas on what to look for to resolve the issue? Thanks in advanced!
GoBigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

You might try looking at the solenoid which engages to turn the power on and off. I have two of them in the battery control box. One controls power to the chassis and the other to the coach.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No technical advice to lend but I wonder how much current draw there is on the batteries even when the disconnect switches are off?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigGuy View Post
The battery disconnect switches in my 2005 Southwind (F53) have stopped working so I am unable to disconnect for long term storage. It started with the chassis switch working intermittently then not at all, now neither that or the aux switch will work. Any ideas on what to look for to resolve the issue? Thanks in advanced!
Best to begin with the sw. itself. Pull it out and disconnect the wiring, then touch the wires together and then apart for some relay response. Also check for 12vdc on the hot wire coming in with a voltmeter.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

My relays have 5 volt fuses mounted on them on the control side. They were not making good connection and I had to clean them with sandpaper. Connections on the control side are low power and prone to problems.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Frank View Post
My relays have 5 volt fuses mounted on them on the control side. They were not making good connection and I had to clean them with sandpaper. Connections on the control side are low power and prone to problems.
More like 5amps and on the 12vdc circuit board. The relay contacts will be 12vdc as well as the coil, but will have a larger wiring size and are capable of more current flow.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's a pretty simple system. The actual switch you push is a low current 12v switch that sends power to a good sized relay (solenoid) that actually does the main power switching. Most problems are with the switch or wiring rather than the solenoid relay, but either is possible.

The battery disconnect and Aux Start solenoid relays are separate. The Aux Start relay is also the one that connects the chassis system to the house battery system for charging while the engine is running (from the engine alternator). Check the house battery voltage with the engine running and shore power off, to see if you are getting 13.6v or more. If so, you know the Aux relay itself is working OK..
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's a pretty simple system. The actual switch you push is a low current 12v switch that sends power to a good sized relay (solenoid) that actually does the main power switching. Most problems are with the switch or wiring rather than the solenoid relay, but either is possible.

The battery disconnect and Aux Start solenoid relays are separate. The Aux Start relay is also the one that connects the chassis system to the house battery system for charging while the engine is running (from the engine alternator). Check the house battery voltage with the engine running and shore power off, to see if you are getting 13.6v or more. If so, you know the Aux relay itself is working OK..
The house battery is receiving a charge when the engine is running (no shore power) so would seem the solenoid is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Frank View Post
These fuses are located in the battery control box under the hood with the solenoids or inside the drivers area?

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #9

Okay I found the fuse in the battery control box and it was fried, tried installing new fuse and it immediately fried, manually disconnected all batteries and tried again, fried again.
Started coach and house batteries are still getting charge without relay fuse. Is solenoid bad? Is solenoid behind this fuse panel?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1483912383.285950.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	148629

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1483912210.889217.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	148628
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #10

I would say the disconnect relay is gone bad. It should open the circuit and it is not. Fuse is blowing and relay is staying closed and allowing connection to continue to charge and function normally. It should open the circuit.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #11

Is the relay on the board or do I need to pull that out to get to relay.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigGuy View Post
Is the relay on the board or do I need to pull that out to get to relay.
You see the black can in the upper left of your picture? That's one of the disconnects. The other should be back there somewhere as well as the one that jumps the house and chassis batteries together. Is there a schematic on the back of the cover for the box? If not a google search may get you one. I had one fail, wouldn't lock in the on state so no power to the dash. I'd be surprised if you had 2 failures. Neither switch disconnects the batteries?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjac69 View Post
No technical advice to lend but I wonder how much current draw there is on the batteries even when the disconnect switches are off?
In theory, none. These switches latch in either the open or closed state. The only time power is supplied to it is when you hit the switch. Now did the coach builder connect anything to the battery before the disconnect, that's possible. Our MH only has a disconnect for the coach batteries, not the chassis battery. Only thing connected to the coach batteries before the switch is the solar panel so it can maintain the batteries even when disconnected.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
You see the black can in the upper left of your picture? That's one of the disconnects. The other should be back there somewhere as well as the one that jumps the house and chassis batteries together. Is there a schematic on the back of the cover for the box? If not a google search may get you one. I had one fail, wouldn't lock in the on state so no power to the dash. I'd be surprised if you had 2 failures. Neither switch disconnects the batteries?
Yes, neither switch currently functions to disconnect batteries. The switch for the chassis battery stopped working some time ago (after only working occasionally for a while) the house battery switch just went all at once. I have just read a bit on the "salesman switch eliminate" option. If I am understanding that correctly I would just connect the heavy gauge wires from either side of the solenoid and then I could just manually disconnect both the house and chassis batteries for storage. Anyone have advice on that option, will everything still charge correctly if I do that? I would just use something like this for a manual disconnect then not have to worry about solenoids going bad again. http://a.co/97yQDVm

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, southwind, switch