Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #15

Time to get the volt meter out. Start at the battery and keep checking along the circuit until you find no voltage.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologman View Post
Thanks to all for this round of responses. I do have a set of disconnect switches over the door. When I operate them I can here the relay working but no power. "Twinboat" I'm going to try your suggestion and jump across the 2 large terminals on those relays in the engine compartment. I havent actually tried it with it on shore power. Don't have power with the engine running.

I agree with Twinboat, more than likely your battery disconnect relay. Depending on the exact model relay your coach uses you may be able to disassemble it, sand the contacts and reassemble the solenoid. Its a very simple procedure and only takes about 5 minutes once you remove the relay from the coach.

Over the years Ive had to sand the contacts on the Battery Disconnect Relays on both of my current motorhomes. Its a simple job and you can get many more years of service from the relay.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your Southwind is the same vintage as mine, you probably have a "RV Custom Products" Battery Control Center. If you can hear the solenoids connecting and disconnecting when you press the switch, there are two possibilities:

1) In the bottom left side of the BCC are two small circuit breakers, press the reset buttons on these to reset them.

2) There are two battery disconnect solenoids inside. These are magnet based, i.e. in the "USE" position, a strong magnet holds the contacts in. On mine, the contacts were intermittent and the center plunger would occasionally just drop out by itself.

I disassembled the solenoid and cleaned the center plunger and the sleeve it slides in to. I also compressed the outer spring a little so it put a little less pressure in the contacts when the solenoid was pulled in.

Note that the contact are part of the connector bolts. The contacts can get twisted a little when tightening up the connector nuts. Realign these so the large contact washer makes good contact.

http://www.1999southwind.com/replace...id-in-the-bcc/

Scroll down to the bottom of this link, there are a lot of photos on how I disassembled by BCC. WARNING - disconnect the coach and chassis batteries, and make sure shore power is disconnected before disassembling the BCC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC_3_800_A.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	277902  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #18

If you have the intellect battery disconnect The chew resettable breakers on the bottom of the Black box in front of the motor you need to check for power on both sides of those because the power flows through those from the engine and from your battery disconnect if you don't have power on either on those breakers then you start working backwards
Brad247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #19

Well, not much is going to happen today as its snowing and blowing out there.
cologman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #20

Same here in Vancouver Washington wind and snow and rain
Brad247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #21

Got it! Thanks to all who have given me input over the last few days. It was the coach disconnect relay and thanks to Waiter21 I knew how to fix it. Happy days here in Colorado.
cologman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update with the solution. Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power, southwind, wind