Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Southwind vs. Tiffin

Hi there, I am looking at an 04 Southwind 32vs and an 05 Tiffin Allegro bay 34. The Southwind has the V10 and the Tiffin has the 8.1 Workhorse. Please give some insight, quality, issues with Workhorse vs. V10 etc. The coaches are within a few thousand of each other, just want the best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance. John
borderjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
John, both chassis will get the job done. I would be more concerned with the floor plan and interior design. You will be spending much more time enjoying the "RV Lifestyle" than driving down the road.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What Fred said! Either chassis will be fine; pick the one that feels like it will be comfortable and functional for your needs. Good luck!

ETA--Forgot to say WELCOME to the forum!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I nearly purchased a Workhorse but found a lot of info about brake problems so I bought a Ford chassis.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Tiffin for me

I'd get the tiffin, but I could be biased. And the 8.1 has plenty of power.
SteveB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Southwind vs. Tiffin

IMHO, there is no comparison! The Tiffin over the Southwind! The Workhorse over the Ford V-10! The Workhorse chassis gives a better, more stable ride and has plenty of power! If it is the W-24, even better!

Tiffin's quality and customer service is second to none!

That being said, the comment about layout and features can definitely make a difference to the buyer.

Just my 2c

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

I have owned 6 class A coach's, 5 gas, 1 desiel, 2 new, 3 used, Tiffen is the best of all of them for quality construction and service.
My present Allegro has a ford v-10, has all the power I need.
Frank
frankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mostly we know what we have and the other is just an opinion (with the exception of Frank who has owned both). I agree with all the above, both will get the job done. Both are good chasssis, but also both have a few 'warts' to deal with. Read up and choose the one you are most comfortable with.
Check out the construction and floor plan of the house as well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
In 2007, we bought a brand new Southwind 34' gas. Within a year we traded it in on a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton (diesel). The dealer took our Southwind right away and for a weekend loaned us a used Allegro Bay since our new coach hadn't come in yet. We couldn't believe the difference! The Tiffin handled better, was more responsive and had substantially less engine noise than the Southwind.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, tiffin