Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #15

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!
So here's what I am thinking...
My local Ford dealer can order the correct wheel for $171.
A Toyo 245/75R22.5 M154 will cost me $371
I am looking at this tire carrier for $700 ... https://roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.php
This tire carrier would allow the spare to hang there and still pull a toad.

My dilemma is that I have nowhere in my coach to place a spare tire mounted or not. If I pull my F-150, I can simply throw it in the back but I don't always pull the toad.
Changing the tire is not an issue for me. I have done it with past coaches and I am actually pretty proficient at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TireCarrier.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	349328  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I just bought a new spare tire and wheel last month for mine. I purchased my rim from Ford Parts America. Brand new OEM wheel for $167 shipped.
Thanks for that idea. My local Ford dealer says they can get me the correct 22.5" wheel for $171.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Can you lift over 200# and remove and replace lug nuts torqued to 450#?
Yes, not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
That wheel will not fit ! The lug pattern is correct the center bore is correct ! BUT when you try and put it on the back side hits the caliper and it will not go on all the way ! It's made in china and the inside of the wheel is to small !!! Ask me how I know ??
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
A steel 22.5 wheel and tire is extremely heavy, your RV is extremely heavy to jack-up you will need a large jack, the lug nuts require almost 500 ft/lbs of torque.
Not an issue for me.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
US1

77Travco.... thats the same price my Ford dealership quoted me. The Ford online price is $115??? plus shipping, so it was a wash. Online just was able to ship quicker and I had a trio planned.
My RV has a lot of room underneath behind the fuel tank to store a spare. I am going to make either a pivoting frame with a crank up end, or use a typical pickup cable crank up style tire carrier and also add a locking plate to secure the wheel.
As far as weight issue....
I am not lifting a 150# wheel. I am rolling one. Or scooting it to get the holes to line up. My regular click torque wrench with an extension addresses the lug nut torque. Its actually less effort to torque mine to 475 ft lbs than my previous RV at 175 ft lbs.
I have had my wheels off no problem. My $35 30T bottle jack will lift the RV with no effort. I carry the torque wrench/extension and jack with me in a storage compartment. I see no reason why it would take me more than 30 min to change out a flat. That sounds more appeasing than waiting hrs on the side of a road for a tire service to show up with a mismatched tire and charge a small fortune, and then have to replace the tire with a correct tire later, since I do have the room to carry a spare tire wheel. Those with no space to store, I understand your situation is different.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #18

Well, I went back down the street to my local Ford dealer and ordered the wheel but...
After giving the parts guy my VIN it turns out that he had quoted me for an incorrect size 19.5" wheel.
The correct 22.5" wheel cost me $224. Ford part 8U9Z-1015-B will be here in 5 business days or so.
I am still not sure how I will carry the spare. Either on the hitch or underneath behind the gas tank. One step at a time I guess.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
My RV has a lot of room underneath behind the fuel tank to store a spare. I am going to make either a pivoting frame with a crank up end, or use a typical pickup cable crank up style tire carrier and also add a locking plate to secure the wheel.
I like that idea, I also have room behind my gas tank. I wonder how far down the tire would hang? Gotta do some measuring.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I tried the pickup style lift and it wouldn't lift my wheel and tire. May have been able to get one that would. Decided to go with the ATV winch (1200#) from Harbor freight with remote, works great.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I will probably place it on a receiver mounted tire carrier like this one... https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...RM-195225.html

I'd look for a welder. You could probably get a cheap HF winch, have it made and have money for gas.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #22
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I like that idea, I also have room behind my gas tank. I wonder how far down the tire would hang? Gotta do some measuring.
I can only assume ours are similar. My wheel will tuck up high enough that it will be higher than the contact point, a line drawn from the rear wheels to the hitch skid plates.

BTW, My RV has a storage compartment accessed from the rear. My spare tire slid in it with less than a 1/2 inch to spare. Not high enough for a mounted tire. Went to FL last week, so at least I had a tire for an emergency.

fcbbob15,
I have kicked around the Harbor Freight winch idea. Thanks for the heads up of the truck lift. That was something I was afraid of. If I go with a rack that pivots down at the rear, then I believe it will be fine as it won't be lifting the full tire /wheel weight. Then secured with safety bolts/pins/whatever.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #23

I use one of the Roadmaster carriers.

First off, I would make sure you know what weight rating your hitch is. I thought mine was 5k but it ended up being 4k. Here is what happened when the weight of the ST carrier and the weight of the Jeep was applied to the hitch.

Yup it was fun trying to get help with this. The outer most bolts broke and then the weight of everything tilted the hitch downward. Luckily a homeless guy came over and asked if we needed help. So glad he was there! We removed everything ('cept hitch) and stuffed it in the back of the Jeep. Gave the homeless guy a nice tip. I then found the only trailer/hitch place in the little town I broke down in and they jacked back up the receiver and replaced the bolts. I had to go to the local ACE and make a new breakaway cable (the original was ground in half) and then I installed that and the tow bar and off we went on our short trip.
Lessons learned: 1) make sure you know what rating the hitch is AND HOW IT IS MOUNTED. 2) the carrier is 75 lbs + the mounted tire weight of my 22.5 tire is 150 lbs. So there is 225lbs of tongue weight. The lifting rod that extends out, helps you lift the weight of the mounted tire/wheel. It's heavy but only for a second or 2. 3) The tow bar is not a whole lot of weight especially when it is attached to the Jeep but the jeep weighs 5k and that is a load on the coach and hitch.

What I did when we got back home was take the coach to a trailer/hitch place and have them try to re-enforce the 4k hitch. It still was not level so I had them build a 10k hitch and had them make it so it was very securely mounted to the 10k frame.
4k hitch - notice that it's only bolted to the bottom of the frame - 4 bolts.

The new 10k hitch (shown upside down) - bolted to the bottom of the frame plus several time up the side of the frame - it's not going anywhere.

Here is a pic of first mounting (incomplete at this point) of the carrier and spare.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
For what its worth I shop for parts for my Ford trucks at Auto Nation Ford parts online,
White Bear Lake Mn

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...heel-8u9z1015b
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #25

If you go with the undermounted tire and the ATV hoist, I would not trust the brake in the hoist. When making the mounting add provisions for a couple of D rings to attach a good ratchet strap to go across the bottom of the tire.

Charles
Old 11-20-2021, 02:00 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes don't trust the winch brake. I added two long bolts that line up with the wheel holes and use locking nuts. Always be safe.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:57 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I picked up my spare wheel here: https://floridashorestruckcenter.com...duct.php?d=454

At the time, it was $101 + $45 shipping. Looks like it went up a few dollars since then.
Model A50487
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
First off, I would make sure you know what weight rating your hitch is.
Holy moly
Thanks for posting those pics. Made me take a step back to make sure that I am doing this project safely.