Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Spare belts

Hi all,
I've been reading various threads on spares, breakdowns and people getting frustrated over spares etc. One of the main issues appears to be v-belts to power the a/c, alternates, water pump etc. So why not carry some link belt? Yes it is a tad expensive but is adjustable to whatever length you need. It lasts longer and if I remember correctly there are other benefits such as using less energy and will actually carry more horsepower.

Is there anyone using this? Or tried it? Or carry some as a spare?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Never heard of a Link Belt
Old 10-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
After a couple of years, I replaced the serpentine belt on my truck and put the removed belt that was still in good shape, sealed in a bag in the toolbox as a spare.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #4

after i bought my motorhome i had to do some engine work and while i was in there i replaced the serp belt and it's in the basement .
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
New belts here. Alt W pump crnk belt still OK . Its a spare
Latech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:04 PM   #6

I think this is what the OP was referring to: https://www.harborfreight.com/vibrat...702114e43cb937

Gates says they are for emergency use and Harbor Freight says they are stronger and less vibration prone than the original belt. Believe whomever you want. I think most modern coaches have serpentine belts although I think some may have a v-belt or two. Personally I'd just replace my 5-6 year old belt and keep the old one for a spare. For my engine I've been advised to carry a spare tensioner too by a couple of good mechanics, it's a Cummins ISB 6.7.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 AM   #7

There aren't a lot of v belts on most engines today, for $35 you could have spare v belts.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #8

After researching, I found the belt mentioned. I believe they are better suited for low speed application, or as an emergency use situation. I will stick to the serpentine belt.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Just spend the money and get spare belts and store them below. In addition to the stock serpentine belt, I carry a shorter belt that allows me to bypass the AC compressor. Learned that trick while broken down with a bad AC compressor in Casper, WY.

Other key is to carry a diagram of the belt routing (once it comes off you're scratching your head under there) and the tools to change it!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Just spend the money and get spare belts and store them below. In addition to the stock serpentine belt, I carry a shorter belt that allows me to bypass the AC compressor. Learned that trick while broken down with a bad AC compressor in Casper, WY.

Other key is to carry a diagram of the belt routing (once it comes off you're scratching your head under there) and the tools to change it!
Should one lose the diagram, or not have one, note that there are grooved and ungrooved pulleys. The grooved side of the belt faces the grooved pulleys and the ungrooved side faces the ungrooved pulleys. Were it otherwise, the belt would shred in short order!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I think this is what the OP was referring to: https://www.harborfreight.com/vibrat...702114e43cb937

Gates says they are for emergency use and Harbor Freight says they are stronger and less vibration prone than the original belt. Believe whomever you want. I think most modern coaches have serpentine belts although I think some may have a v-belt or two. Personally I'd just replace my 5-6 year old belt and keep the old one for a spare. For my engine I've been advised to carry a spare tensioner too by a couple of good mechanics, it's a Cummins ISB 6.7.
That is the type of belt I was referring to. As a by pass if the a/c compressor quits. Certainly will get you home. No they are not a serpentine belt and should not be used as such.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Should one lose the diagram, or not have one, note that there are grooved and ungrooved pulleys. The grooved side of the belt faces the grooved pulleys and the ungrooved side faces the ungrooved pulleys. Were it otherwise, the belt would shred in short order!
Take a picture. Most things are higher on the engine, that's all you need. The crank pulley is self explanatory.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote