Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Spare Tire. Do you carry one?

How many of you carry a spare? Personally I think it's a good idea and especially if I take a trip to Alaska.
I have 6 brand new tires on my coach and I kept one that was replaced, good shape and only a couple years old, but I need a rim for it, steel.
I was looking into my storage areas to see if it would fit in one of the bays and I believe it will in one of them after taking a measurement.
I read in here somewhere that someone had a spare, no rim. Other than you have a replacement tire, any advantage to carrying just the tire, no rim?. I have a couple bottle jacks, 12 ton, I will carry with me along with a breaker bar and a Swead, pipe, and the sockets, and torque wrench.
Yes, I have changed them before on a big rig, not fun, time consuming, but doable, also part of my SCWOP, Senior Citizen Work Out Program. How do you like that for an acronym folks!
Do you carry a spare tire?
Thanks.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

I carry an unmounted spare tire only. Would not consider changing myself and don't have the tools to do so. I carry the tire in case the local tire shop does not have one.

That's what AAA is for and I am a loyal and long time member.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 2001 Mirada, no. Never had any problems.

On my 1999 Southwind, Yes. It came with it. I suspect I'll never need it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a spare only, no rim. It may save the day sometime. My tire size is not too common, so having a tire may just get us back on the road sooner.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not leave home without my spare. I am 77 years old. Last year while on my way to Savannah, I had a blowout. I timed myself. I was back on the road in 31 minutes. I have read of others waiting hours for road service. If you go out west, there are places your cell phone will not work. Some people carry the spare in the trunk of the towed vehicle.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a mounted spare, along with lug wrench and breaker bar (450 ft/lb!!!!!). Don't really WANT to change a tire, but CAN if needed. I do have towing (AAA Premier RV), but I will never be dependent on what ever tire/cost an ERS may have available, nor waiting for hours.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #7

Yes we carry a spare tire. Needed one on our old TT, not yet on our coach. Will we need on? Probably not since we have it, but it's peace of mind. I wasn't interested in taking up an entire storage bay with a dismounted tire.

We picked up a used (looked brand new) rim from our local tire shop for $90 including balance beads and mounting, then got the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier which swivels down to ground level with the help of a 4' cheater bar. Then a tire cover to protect tire from UV. Date code of tire is within limits. I check spare tire pressure periodically. I have TPMS on all 6 road tires along with toad, but didn't see the necessity of putting TPMS on spare tire.

I figure I have a better chance of loaning the spare to someone else who has a flat than using it myself, but it's there if I need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 4.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	183494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	183495  

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

We picked up a used (looked brand new) rim from our local tire shop for $90 including balance beads and mounting, then got the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier which swivels down to ground level with the help of a 4' cheater bar.
I have been looking at this Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier. I'm wondering if the tire will be low enough for me to open the engine compartment door - even when the tire is lowered. I have the 295/80R 22.5 tire size, which I believe makes the tire about 42 inches in overall height.

Can you tell me how many inches off the ground is the top of the tire when the carrier is in the down (Lowered) position? Does the bottom of the tire get within a few inches of resting on the ground?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

Carry a mounted spare and all tools required to change it. Not the easiest job , but I can have it done long before help would arrive. After changing tires on a tractor trailer , the motorhome isn't all that hard.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not. I use 22.5 inch tires, 6 of one size and 2 of another on a 42 foot DP. Not interested in changing a tire and carrying 2 spare tires isn't really feasible.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #11

I'm looking at that carrier also. I'm wondering if it's tough enough to withstand the vibrations?
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I carry a spare. My class A has 22.5 inch tires and did not come with a spare. I made and installed a under chassis mount with an 12 volt electric wench. Purchased a steel wheel and new tire. I boon dock a lot and may not be able to get someone out to change a tire. I carry all the tools needed to change a tire if needed. The only time I have ever had an issue was when I did not have a spare.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I'm looking at that carrier also. I'm wondering if it's tough enough to withstand the vibrations?
I wonder if the tire carry will take the abuse on rough roads? Goal is a trip to Alaska! Do you have to lower it down to check engine oil? I've given up on spare tire on side of boat trailer! 3 different times it has broken of on Canadian trips and it doen't weigh a fraction of a 22.5"!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I also have one mid coach between the frame rails just rear of the AC Coils and fan it is hinged and is raised and lowered with a threaded bolt. I mounted a piece of plywood under the lift to keep the tire and wheel a little cleaner. Don't intend to change it myself but like others have said who knows and I have one for sure if needed.