Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Smile Spare Tire Question

Hello all. Newbie here with a dumb question about spare tire for my brand new Hurrecane Class A 30 footer. The dealer thought I was being foolish when I asked about this since it didn't come with one. I have had enough bad experiences with flats so I am not going anywhere without a spare. I called a Ford Dealership and they want almost $800 for tire and wheel. It is a 225/70 R19.5 tire.

Question: Is this too much $$ or am I just out of touch? Is there a RV online polace to buy one? Do juck yards sell used ones? Are there RV junkyards?

Also, it has a threaded female stud under the rear end like it may be designed to hold a spare that way. Does anyone know anything about this. Because the basement doesn't have a easy place to a tire.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. And I simply love this site!

Thanks

Jerry
jerrydubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Hello Jerry and Welcome to iRV2.

First I would 100% confirm that you will be able to carry a spare tire, maybe underneath the RV or under the bed? Remember the tire and rim combination will be very heavy.

Also maybe a tire without a rim could be a option. You will be calling a road service when it comes time to change your spare, this is not something that you will be able to do yourself on the side of the road.

I would call around for more prices on a rim and tire. Maybe you could find a used tire that would work well as a spare.

And lastly make sure to get RV road service. Don't count on AAA or another automotive road side assistance.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. I agree with your philosophy but can't help with the pricing. Others will be along shortly. Best of luck with the new RV.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

Not a dumb question at all - if you use the search feature you will find several threads discussing pros/cons and opinions on carrying a spare.

With a previous coach, I carried a unmounted spare tire. Fit in a cargo bay. I feel this way I can get my ERS to swap over the tire if needed. And avoids delays from not being able to readily find a tire or being charge a high price due to emergency need. I found this to be a good option, having to use it once. My ERS came and did the wheel swap and I was on the road again in short order. There will be a charge to swap the unmounted spare tire to the wheel (if a mounted wheel/tire, no extra charge) - but this is offset by not having the cost of buying a spare wheel.

On my current coach came with a mounted wheel/tire, carried under the rear between the frame rails.

My current coach is a Ford similar to yours, so you may well have a same/similar place to mount a spare, just not the mounting bracket and such.

A used wheel could probably be found via a junk yard for considerably less money than a Ford dealer. Or consider to go with a unmounted spare.

BTW, if you don't yet have a ERS (emergency road service) it is highly recommended to do so. Most popular are Good Sam and Coach-Net. These differ from AAA or other car oriented services in that they understand motorhome and RV needs, provide foe longer distance towing, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

I bought an electric impact wrench along with a 12 ton bottle jack and Impact socket set for the purpose of changing a tire. Why is changing a tire on an RV such a big deal?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

Lifting a part of the vehicle that weighs probably around 20,000 pounds is something left for a professional. The proper jack and blocking needed is not something you buy at Sears. Jack placement and blocking under the jack is crucial.

Next is the impact gun. They are air powered 3/4" or 1" drive capable of loosening and tightening wheel lugs that are around 400# to 500# of torque.

Article here
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #7

You dont say where you are located but if you are near or going past i44 and hy 71 in Mo / Ok Joplin area try colaw rv salvage they have take offs from scrapped rvs. I think it became an issue with lawsuits when old guys like me did not have the strength to use breaker bars and jacks to change a tire so they no longer put them in rigs. I have road service and keep rather new tires on my 42footer with tag.

We Have Your Part…*|*Colaw RV Parts and Salvage
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

I am 49 yr old in Des Moines Iowa and see no reason why I cant change a tire. I appreciate the advice on Good Sam service though and will look into it for sure. But I am sure I could get a tire changed before a service could help.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Ok. Best of luck to you and your new motorhome. Feel free to ask more questions as the days and weeks go by. Lots of great information here with very knowledgeable people who have experienced pretty much every aspect of RVing.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You could try a tire dealer that deals with truck tires and they may have a used wheel and tire that will suit your needs. Even if you have to buy new the price may be better than the Ford dealer.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
First let me say I have Coach Net and don't carry a spare but, back in the day I changed a few semi tires by hand. A 12 ton bottle jack would be plenty. I used to carry one plus a straight lug wrench with slide thru bar and 3 ft. breaker pipe and a couple of 4X6 blocks. A full sized tire and wheel is HEAVY. I don't know, maybe 100 lbs. Maybe more. Too break the lug nuts (and tighten them properly) I would have to put the slide bar AND cheater pipe on the lug wrench at the proper angle and stand out on the end of it and bounce. Not something I want to do on the side of the interstate at this time in my life if I don't have to. With cell phones, CBs etc. I would rather wait for Coach Net. Just sayin. Lots to carry around and not real likely to be needed. It CAN happen but in several years on the road ( about 100K miles a year)I only changed a few and tires are much better now then back then. But if it's something you feel like you need it can be done. I don't think an electric impact will touch it. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #12

I agree with pretty much everything said here so far. I myself would never go anywhere without a spare other than to a tire shop to get the blown out one fixed. After a couple of run ins with blow outs last year and watching the professions struggle even with the proper equipment do the job, it's not really something I would want to be doing. Especially in the dark and/or busy hiway. Even though I am reasonably young and consider myself very handy and my tires are only 16" and lug torque is only a 140lbs on my unit. I am sure I could do it but I am already paying for RV RSA ( mine is pretty inexpensive at $75 per year) why would I risk injury or damage my rig or worse yet get run into when I don't have to? I would consider this pretty cheap insurance and would probably have it even if it didn't cover tire changes.

Without the spare you are really at the mercy of the local tire supplier/service center for both price and availability. Believe me, if you have a flat on the side of the interstate on a Friday after dark you are going to pay whatever price it is and hope to heck they have something in stock

If you are planning on doing your own tire changes I would also recommend a very large sledge hammer. Those wheels don't generally come off easy. It would also be ideal if you could go to a big truck shop and watch the guys in action and learn a few of the tricks. Or maybe even practice at home. If your where able to rotate the duals on your own I would say your "all set"

Oh ya and some leather gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-384436276.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	36188  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

This is something I have questioned myself and have decided that I will not carry a spare unless o head put to Alaska or the back country of Canada. I would never carry mounted and there is no chance I would try to change my self. Roadside can change to tire and rim right at the site of the flat on just a few minutes.
If you carry a tire to match yours how would you rotate it in. If you just carry a 800 dollar tire in 7 years its junk. So would you switch out with the steer tires. It seems Like to much trouble
I use XZE2 285/80R22.5 and I think these are common but I may call around on my route for a long trip to see if they are stocked.
I also don't think that a rechargeable impact will break lose the lugs. I would try it out first and would be very interested if it works. Good luck. Everyone makes their own choices.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #14

Pay yourself first!

If you put away 5 bucks every day, odds are you will always be way ahead.

Go ahead. Do the math!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote