RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #15

Spare

Best insurance for not having a flat is a spare. I carry everything I need to change he tire.( Air compressor, jack and impact wrench) Will call road service and if they can get out in a reasonable time, I will let them change it, if not, I can change it. I have the spare tire carrier mounted on the hitch between the MH and toad. It has the extendable bar, so getting the spare of the carrier is pretty easy.
PhillipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

To carry or not to carry . . . . a spare tire

When we purchased our new to us coach, there was a 4 month old un-mounted spare tire in one of the compartments. I didnít like the 22.5Ē tire taking up the entire cargo compartment, so we purchased the Roadmaster spare tire carrier. It is designed so you can lower the tire (and raise the damaged one) back into the travel position with one hand, although I typically use two. You can lower to either side as well.

I purchased a used rim from our local tire dealer for $20.00, had him mount and balance it, and repainted the rim so it looks like new as well.

I like the idea of a mounted spare as my ERS will exchange tires free or really ďpre-paidĒ since you purchased the ERS, but will charge for mounting your un-mounted tire.

I am probably more likely to end up offering to let some other coach driver use my spare than needing it myself, but if nothing else, it is peace of mind.

I also have a torque multiplier for removing and reinstalling the lug nuts, and jacks for jacking up the coach, but would more likely just call ERS if I have cell phone reception.

In addition, it is possible that the rim may be damaged in the event of a catastrophic event as well, so mounting your spare tire on a damaged rim isnít in the cards, at least for me.

To carry a spare or not, no wrong answer to this, I just decided to carry. Iíve got better things to do than sit on the side of a road on a Saturday night, until Monday morning, waiting for Billybob to sell me an off brand, incorrect sized new or used tire for more than I paid for my carrier AND the tire! Or let someone with the wrong equipment tow my rig and damage the generator slide out because they didnít know what they were doing . . . . Your mileage may vary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	174243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 4.jpg
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	174244  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 2.jpg
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	174245  
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #17

This "horse" has been beaten on the forum for years--to no real conclusion. Personally, I cant see carrying a spare tire. Yup--I could probably change a tire on the side of the road but I am not going to do that--at least not any more. At best-- you will save some money if you "ever" need to swap out for a tire you want vs what the road service brought you. Worst case--you end up with an unsafe, near worthless aged- out tire taking up room in your basement or hanging on the back of your rig.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #18

If you do have a spare, as I do, make sure you replace it when it ages out. When we got our used MH I replaced the spare with the same make and size as the existing tires. The spare looked brand new but as soon as the air was let out it almost fell apart. 20 years old come to find out!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 Dolphin and if your MH frane is like mine the tire will fit on the shelf in the storage compartment between the frame and the floor.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #20

Although I would never tackle changing a 22.5" tire, carrying an unmounted spare in the back of the toad (Trailblazer) sounds like a good idea. Saving money is less important to me than saving time waiting for the ERA to find and procure a tire. Thanks, guys. Fantastic Four(um).
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #21

After having had TC's for the last 40 or so years that always had a spare available, we bought our first MH a few years ago. I guess we got lucky because it had a spare mounted to the rear of the RV. Knowing I couldn't lift the 100lb+ tire either down or up I fabricated a way to utilize a portable nylon strap boat winch from HF to do that. After having it in place I then ran through a drill at home to see if I could change a tire if I had to. Doing that caused me to add a few tools to my inventory, but I'm confident that I can do the job. I'm 78.

I would recommend a trial run to see if changing a tire is possible if that is the way you plan to go.

We do a lot of boondocking where phone service is spotty so I would rather be prepared.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome