Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Spare wheel or just tire on a class A?

Hello all.

Just bought a 2000 HR Endeavor on a Freight-liner chassis and never had a rig this big before now. Has 10 lug wheels. Manual says 460ft# torque on the lug if I read that correctly . The rig only came with a spare tire (no wheel). Is this typical on a rig this big? Do people just call a truck service company when they get a flat on something this big or do some guys carry a wheel and change their own?
bigbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #2

Never heard of anyone carrying a spare. I thought they were on a Roadmaster chassis?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Never heard of anyone carrying a spare. I thought they were on a Roadmaster chassis?
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think they switched to roadmaster in 2001. Mine is a freightliner with cat and 6sp allison.

So the truck service is expected to provide a tire?
Old 07-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #4

I've kept one of my old tires for a quick spare. I only replaced it due to age. This way I can replace the tire with what I want vs. whatever they can get on short order.
outlaw5067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrutus View Post

So the truck service is expected to provide a tire?

Bringing your own tire insures the truck service can’t bend you over with price and that they can find the right size. If you have a place to store it, bring it.

I don’t carry a spare. Not on my wife’s priority list lol.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #6

We do not carry either. Tire too big and full setup too heavy.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
No spare either. A mounted spare wheel/tire is pointless, since rear duals are not interchangeable inside to outside, nor are the front wheels interchangeable with either of the rears, which is why most who do pack one just carry a dismounted tire.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I tossed in a spare tire. Since I can put "stuff" in the center of the tire it doesn't take up too much space. You mentioned the 460 ft pounds of torque and here is what I do as periodically I need to remove a wheel for maintenance at home.

I have a socket for the lug nuts on a 1" drive and use a 4 foot long pipe to give me leverage. I put a piece of tape over the pipe where I need to stand to give it 450 foot pounds and that allows me to properly torque them.

After a trip to the tire installer I check the torque and I have found it to often be way off. I also have a cheap but effective chinese torque multiplier when the torque is too high for my pipe. Everything works good but slow.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
No spare either. A mounted spare wheel/tire is pointless, since rear duals are not interchangeable inside to outside, nor are the front wheels interchangeable with either of the rears, which is why most who do pack one just carry a dismounted tire.

I believe you are mistaken. The 22.5” steel-rim spare off my Peterbuilt will fit any location on my DP. Same as a Dually pickup only needs one spare tire/wheel. Some tag axles may use different sizes and off-sets.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Not sure where you get your info on that....certainly all wheels are interchangeable such as inside to outside or back to front. (I've had it done)

This is why valve stems on the rear tires are reversed.

Anyway...just wanted to correct that. I carry spare rubber.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #11

I've never had a vehicle without a spare or one that I couldn't change myself for that matter. It looks like only a spare rubber will fit in my storage area, so I guess I'll go with that for now. Looks like I need to look up some numbers for truck service, lol.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

I carry a spare tire. In addition to being vulnerable to overcharging, most motorhomes do not use tire sizes that are popular on trucks so truck tire service places will usually have to order your tire and you will be stuck there until they get it.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #13

IMO, it DEPENDS:

Do you drive to remote places or places (like Mexico) where your size tire is unusual?

Are you able to change a mounted tire yourself or will you need road service irrespective of whether you have no tire (road service provides at $$$), a spare unmounted tire or mounted tire?

Do you have room in your basement for either an unmounted or mounted spare?

We always carried an unmounted spare when traveling in Mexico or on roads with little or no service (like U.S. 50 across the west-- the loneliest road in America).
Old 07-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #14

We had a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion and, at least according to these forums, it had a not so common tire size. So if you list a tire it might be a bit more complicated to get a replacement right away. So I bought a spare and stored it (unmounted) in one of the bays. That way a roadside mechanic could swap the tire without delay.

Even if you had a full size mounted spare, breaking the lugs, lifting the tire and retightening the mugs (400 foot pounds?) would be daunting. I think just having good roadside service is the right way to go.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tire