Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrutus View Post
Hello all.

Just bought a 2000 HR Endeavor on a Freight-liner chassis and never had a rig this big before now. Has 10 lug wheels. Manual says 460ft# torque on the lug if I read that correctly . The rig only came with a spare tire (no wheel). Is this typical on a rig this big? Do people just call a truck service company when they get a flat on something this big or do some guys carry a wheel and change their own?
My Freightliner Chassis has a storage spot for the spare tire only, and I do keep one in there, no wheel. I keep it for the reasons mentioned above. Price as well as the chances of the tire company not having the same tire as mine. They can mount the tire on my wheel when they come out.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw5067 View Post
I've kept one of my old tires for a quick spare. I only replaced it due to age. This way I can replace the tire with what I want vs. whatever they can get on short order.
This is what I did too. I don't want to be stuck somewhere waiting for a replacement tire. It's always good to have options.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Carrying a spare is a choice only you can make. When I had my Class A gasser, it had a mounted spare underneath and I actually used it once when I had a tire get a tread separation. On my 2005 Monaco Diplomat, it used a very small 22.5 tire that was not a popular size. Because of the small size (diameter) it fit atop the center om storage tray. I was able to store rarely used items inside. In ten years, I never needed it, but had the piece of mind.

Fast forward, our new coach has huge 22.5 tires and won't fit in a bay. However, my coach has a tag axle and in an emergency, I can place an odd sixed tire in on the tag axle.

Things to consider......if you're still working and need to get from point A to point B, being stuck in a small town on a holiday weekend, will probably leave you stranded for a few days, hunting down ANY tire that will fit. If you're retired, not in a hurry and have a toad big enough to chase down a tire, it's not a big deal. As I said, I can pretty much put any old truck tire on mine to get on the road until I can get an exact replacement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
Not sure where you get your info on that....certainly all wheels are interchangeable such as inside to outside or back to front. (I've had it done)

This is why valve stems on the rear tires are reversed.

Anyway...just wanted to correct that. I carry spare rubber.
Front wheel offset on OUR coach is not interchangeable with the rears. Rears may be interchangeable inside to outside, but our insides wheels are steel, outsides aluminum. My information comes from having all wheels off and trying it myself. It could be because we have four wheel disc brakes, not sure. Your coach may vary though. My message to the OP would be to check first.
Or, just carry a dismounted tire. Not trying to pass bad info, but be aware not all rigs are the same.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #19

Just testing picture functionality
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210717_172256222.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	338153  
bigbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD104X View Post
I carry a spare tire. In addition to being vulnerable to overcharging, most motorhomes do not use tire sizes that are popular on trucks so truck tire service places will usually have to order your tire and you will be stuck there until they get it.
Yep... we had to wait 6 days to get a tire in stock for a routine tire change. If that happened on a vacation, your week is shot...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We only carry a spare tire, no wheel. I purchased a tire that matched the ones on the coach so if needed the repair company can just remove the flat tire from the rim and install the spare.
P.S. I learned this from reading this forum (;
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All wheels on mine are interchangeable but the rear wheel studs are not long enough for two aluminum wheels! So I carry mounted spare on steel wheel which will fit any where on my coach! Torque multiplier and battery impact!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180831_191428734.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	338271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180831_191436881.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	338272  

Old 08-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #23

Well here’s what I have done and will continue to do. I carry a mounted spare even if the front and rear are different. Then I pray that I have a flat on the one it fits. If that’s not the case, then I have a road service or tire shop dismount the spare tire and use it where needed.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #24

I carry an unmounted tire and the tools necessary to change it out. It is not hard to do if you have the proper tools and know how to do it.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
I carry an unmounted tire and the tools necessary to change it out. It is not hard to do if you have the proper tools and know how to do it.
I took 2 Toyo M154s to a local truck tire shop to install, they charged me $35 each and did a good job. A worker, probably in his 50s did the work and he made it look very easy. Dismounted the wheel and tire, let the air out, hit it 2 or 3 times with a tire sledge and then used 2 bars to pop that side off. Flipped it over and repeated it.

Installation was similar. I was surprised he didn't use the mounting equipment that was inside but he told me he preferred this way.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:09 AM   #26
Epp

Our 2001 DSDP uses the same tire on the front as well as the rears. So I do carry a mounted and balanced spare with me in the basement. One thing to keep in mind with a mounted spare is a lot of tires are directional. I have a 50-50 chance of having the tire ready to go when roadside assistance shows up, If not they can always dismount reverse and re-mount the tire. I did not want to get stuck with whatever is available at the tire shop, waiting for them to get the correct tire in.

Tags
class a, tire