Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Spartan Gas Chassis - it is still alive!!!

I heard this from the Spartan Rep at the Tampa Show that the large gas engine on a Spartan Gas Chassis should come to market in 3rd or 4th quarter 2014. Yes, later this year!!!

That this project is not dead!!! Cool.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Extol or the Revel? Did the rep mention any specifics?
See: Spartan Chassis

I hope the rep is right. The 8.8L equipped Extol is really needed IMHO to provide an upgrade to the monopoly that Ford has.
2014 Ford Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome | See All The Stripped Chassis F-53 Class A Motorhome Highlights | Ford.com

Getting the engine an EPA cert was the issue in the past. But even after it comes to market, then the RV builders will have to risk ordering and offering the Spartan option.

Thanks for the news.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

The rep told me that the Class 'C' chassis was ahead of the class 'A' chassis. He implied the Class 'C' chassis was already being offered.

It is the 8.8 litre class 'A' chassis that is still alive.

To me, a 5th wheel owner, this is a big deal because in 3 to 5 years I just might switch to Class 'A' gas if there is a better option than Ford.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I heard this from the Spartan Rep at the Tampa Show that the large gas engine on a Spartan Gas Chassis should come to market in 3rd or 4th quarter 2014. Yes, later this year!!!

That this project is not dead!!! Cool.
I sure hope your source is correct, but when I asked the guy occupying the Spartan chassis display at the TSS about the likelihood of the Extol chassis being used, he opined just the opposite. At first he acted like he had never heard of Extol, but after I refreshed his memory, he said "that was a pre-mature announcement that should never have been made". I wish I had written down his name......and I sincerely hope he was as mis-informed as he appeared to be.

Any idea which coach builder will be the first to market?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #5

I hope that is not true. The consumers really need another chassis option other than Ford.

The Rep at Tampa knew exactly what I was talking about. Said the smaller class 'C' chassis was already in the market. Does anyone know about it? Who is going to use it?

I sure hope the larger class 'A' chassis makes it to market too.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I hope that is not true. The consumers really need another chassis option other than Ford.

The Rep at Tampa knew exactly what I was talking about. Said the smaller class 'C' chassis was already in the market. Does anyone know about it? Who is going to use it?

I sure hope the larger class 'A' chassis makes it to market too.
IF the class C chassis is the "REVEL", I've not seen any builder advertising it. Likewise, I've not seen any on-road application of the 8.8L motor advertised. I would think that would be "big news" if somebody was using it.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just looking a the PSI website, while I have not seen any "breaking news" about an EPA approval, they are listing the 8.8 as a On-Highway engine option(?)

See: On-Highway Engines | Power Solutions International, Inc. – Cleantech Engine Manufacturing

I would think the EPA cert would need to come before listing as such...but I am no expert in these matters.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

Spartan Extol Chassis

I'd like to see one of these under a Newmar Ventana.
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete2 View Post
I'd like to see one of these under a Newmar Ventana.
Newmar would likely use this front engine chassis under their canyon star product, IMO.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

Spartan Extol Chassis

That's OK by me too! If they can use a floor plan like the Vetanna with camp side dining and bedroom slides and midship TV that's viewable from couch, front seats and dining booth I'm all for it. I'd like to move up to 30-34 ft Class A gasser on something other than the F 53 that needs all the modifications to make it drivable and 4400 rpm to get the torque needed to get it over the mountains. JMHO

I would also like to see an Extol with duel fuel gasoline/CNG and no Propane.

Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
That's OK by me too! If they can use a floor plan like the Vetanna with camp side dining and bedroom slides and midship TV that's viewable from couch, front seats and dining booth I'm all for it. I'd like to move up to 30-34 ft Class A gasser on something other than the F 53 that needs all the modifications to make it drivable and 4400 rpm to get the torque needed to get it over the mountains. JMHO

Pete

Hi Pete - While I admit I have not, I was wondering if you have driven a newer higher end gasser on the F53 chassis? I also admit that in my entry level Bounder on a 99 F53 chassis, I did have to make quite a few suspension mod's to enjoy the handling/ride of the coach.

The manufacturers of RV's that spec the 26K F53 Chassis, usually have them equipped with the Ford good suspension parts. Including the rear panhard and adequate sway bars front and rear. They're reported as much improved on the handling front, from the earlier F53 V10 chassis's.

I'd still add the Safety-T-Plus for emergency handling during a blowout.

But, I wonder if you did a test drive on a higher end gasser with proper F53 chassis - if you would find it all that lacking? The 5spd auto gets good reports, just about eliminating the advantage Workhorse had with the 8.1/Allison combo.

Speculation on my part, but if I were shopping for a new gasser - I would check out the improvements.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
That's OK by me too!...............

Pete
I recently read where Spartan has hired a guy specifically to develop their "specialty vehicles" RV business. Here is a partial paste of the article published by RVB:

QUOTE>Spartan Chassis Inc., a business unit of Spartan Motors Inc., announced the addition of Timothy Hamm as vice president, sales and business development, specialty vehicles. According to a press release, the hiring of Hamm demonstrates Spartan Chassis’s continued commitment to the recreational vehicle industry.....<END QUOTE

Maybe if enough RVers let Mr. Hamm know of their desire for an alternative to Ford's F53 he will be able to convince a few coach builders to offer it. Unfortunately, the article did not include his contact info.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I recently read where Spartan has hired a guy specifically to develop their "specialty vehicles" RV business. Here is a partial paste of the article published by RVB:

QUOTE>Spartan Chassis Inc., a business unit of Spartan Motors Inc., announced the addition of Timothy Hamm as vice president, sales and business development, specialty vehicles. According to a press release, the hiring of Hamm demonstrates Spartan Chassis’s continued commitment to the recreational vehicle industry.....<END QUOTE

Maybe if enough RVers let Mr. Hamm know of their desire for an alternative to Ford's F53 he will be able to convince a few coach builders to offer it. Unfortunately, the article did not include his contact info.
Here is Timothy Hamm's Page on "LinkedIn" (I think).
Tim Hamm | LinkedIn

I am not a member of LinkedIn - so I can't read the full Profile.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Here is Timothy Hamm's Page on "LinkedIn" (I think).
Tim Hamm | LinkedIn

I am not a member of LinkedIn - so I can't read the full Profile.

Safe travels
My wife won't allow me to have any more "links", either

Tags
chassis, spartan, gas