Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #1

Spartan vs Freightliner vs cost

Hey everyone, just looking for opinions, this could be long on opinions...ha ha.
Anyway we are looking to possibly move into a newer coach. We presently have a 2012 Newmar Ventana that is in excellent shape. New tires last year, batteries and total reupholstery of the inside.
We are looking at 2 coaches. Both Ventanas, they are
2021 on Spartan chassis for $360k and 2020 Ventana on Freightliner for $329k. Both 4369 and identical.
Is the Spartan and a year near worth the difference?
Terradriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
jrs

I've been very pleased with my FL and would get another if purchasing again. That $31K difference represents years of diesel costs.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chassis for chassis there isn't one better than the other but the newer coach is normally valued higher. It the old " which is better" Ford or Chevy? It all depends on which you prefer.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Chassis for chassis there isn't one better than the other but the newer coach is normally valued higher. It the old " which is better" Ford or Chevy? It all depends on which you prefer.
Yep
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last year when we compared the two, Spartan had quite a few more high tech features than Freightliner. But depends on what you value. In the end we chose FL.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One advantage of Freightliner is far more service locations.

Spartan had a real DEF head issue for a while. I believe that is resolved.

Overall, I agree they are similar.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #7

When our MH sold new, the Spartan chassis was an additional $5,000 over the Freightliner Chassis. I haven't a clue why.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Our Ventana is on a Spartan chassis. It just came that way. I’ve been happy with the treatment from Spartan so far. If you service your own coach, some of the service items are a bit easier to get to, but I think it generally comes down to personal preference rather than specs.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #9

As said before, Spartan makes it very convenient for the DIYer to access filters, air dryer, etc

However, Freightliner has dealerships everywhere and the probability of you getting stranded waiting for parts is dramatically lower. Punch a hole in the radiator going to Alaska? You will have a new one fast. I’ve been there with a custom Roadmaster Monaco chassis with a custom radiator and it was not a fun experience tracking that sucker down. On a new coach, warranty work is easier. DIY is still able to be done, just not as easy.

If I was buying a new coach, I would accept either, but if I had the choice I would take the Freightliner given the above facts. Also given the above facts and my personal experience with “custom Rv manufacturers” chassis (ex Monaco roadmaster , Tiffin power glide) and parts availability in far flung locals , I would absolutely not consider them
moparmaga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terradriller View Post
Hey everyone, just looking for opinions, this could be long on opinions...ha ha.

Anyway we are looking to possibly move into a newer coach. We presently have a 2012 Newmar Ventana that is in excellent shape. New tires last year, batteries and total reupholstery of the inside.

We are looking at 2 coaches. Both Ventanas, they are

2021 on Spartan chassis for $360k and 2020 Ventana on Freightliner for $329k. Both 4369 and identical.

Is the Spartan and a year near worth the difference?

Test drive on a rough road, back when I was looking there was no comparison Spartan was a lot smoother.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:46 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
98% of the time the choice is made by picking the rv manufacture you want and you take the chassis you get. A few of the Newmar coaches swing both ways.

Because the two Ventura floor plans the same. What about furniture, interior color, exterior color?

What was added to the 21 over the 20? Maybe some features that mean something to you.

I would let the coach I like most be my choice.

I drove a new American Eagle on a Freigthliner and it drove / rode very similar to my Cornerstone on a Spartan. Different chassis than the Ventana but similar enough that I would not let that be part of my decision on my next coach.

I do know when I had an issue in Panama City Florida the nearest Spartan shop was in Tallahassee. The Frieghtliner shops are common because of the truck business.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We explicitly looked for a Freightliner chassis due to the ease of service and the huge number of shops that can handle one. It might not be an issue if you stay in populated areas, but we like isolated places when we are out. At home in the Midwest I have 2 Oasis certified shops within 90 miles, and if I stretch that to 150 miles I get a lot more. I have friends with a Spartan chassis, and they value the features more, so it does depend on what you are looking for.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner's best chassis is every bit as good and well-featured as Spartan's, but Freightliner offers more low-end chassis configurations and RV makers looking for a way to offer a bargain model sometimes elect to go with a cheaper chassis so they pick one of FTL's lesser configurations. So don't just compare chassis brand - look a bit deeper at chassis configuration, e.g. wheelbase, GVWR, side vs rear radiator, etc.

Back in 2004-2005 American Coach offered their top model coaches with either Spartan or Freightliner chassis. Buyers bough Spartan by a 3:1 margin and AC soon did away with the FTL option. Years later, though, thru the owners group it became obvious that the quality of the two were the essentially the same. Each had a couple of weaknesses but not the same ones. For example, Spartans had wire corrosion issues while Freightliners had air suspension leaks. Overall, both performed well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You should get the factory specs for each, there were a few years where Newmar spec’d the Spartan with 1k more capacity on the front axle as part of the upcharge.

Also Spartan had the built in air line connection for an Air Force One line a few years before Freightliner (but I can’t remember which years so pull the specs on each).

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan