Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

I stand corrected. It is a class b and you can still tow under 10k# for over 40'.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #16

The attached link has a good summary by state for towing regs. Assuming the info is correct, BobGed, you should be getting your $20 back! I did look at the State code, and although a bit ambiguous, it seems to confirm that California does require supplemental braking systems on any toad over 1500 pounds.

State Towing Laws for RVs
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
The attached link has a good summary by state for towing regs. Assuming the info is correct, BobGed, you should be getting your $20 back! I did look at the State code, and although a bit ambiguous, it seems to confirm that California does require supplemental braking systems on any toad over 1500 pounds.

State Towing Laws for RVs
I wish.
Please refer to: California Law - VEHICLE CODE [VEH Sections 26301. - 26522.] See Section 26454 (b) (5) - As long as you can bring your coach and towed vehicle combination to a stop within 50' from 20 mph, the following applies: Section 26458 (c) (3).

And they don't even require a break away system, see (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf Pg 28)

Now if you have a motor home (or any other vehicle) towing a trailer then the 1500 lb trailer brake requirement does apply.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #18

I just love reading legalese! That section 26454 could be construed, depending on towed vehicle, to require stopping within 20 feet. It further states that it applies to any grade. Most grades in California don't exceed 7 percent, but there are grades up to 15 percent (Sonora Pass Hwy 108 - on which you'd be nuts to take a motorhome and toad). So whether you get a ticket or not probably comes down to what the CHP officer has been told is or isn't the requirement. I would guess that they'll go with the need for a supplemental system as the variables are too great. If you could remember the section of the code and produce a test report (I notice a restriction on how you test) that shows you can stop your motorhome and toaded within x feet and argue that you will never drive on a grade greater than that on which you tested the stopping distance, and the officer likes you, you may get off without a ticket. Just guessing here and I could be totally wrong.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #19

Class C if coach is 40' or less; Non-commercial Class B if over 40'.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #20

One other "tidbit" of information. In California, when towing, the maximum speed limit is NEVER more than 55 mph; on freeways, you must be in the right hand lane (except for passing, or if the freeway has more than 3 lanes going the same direction, then it's the two right lanes), and MH towing cannot use the carpool lanes, regardless of the number of passengers on board. I found this out a couple years ago when the CHP pulled me over in Ventura County going 70 MPH in the carpool lane. Officer very kindly explained the law and only cited me for going 70 mph in 65 mph zone, which allowed me to erase the infraction by attending Traffic School (still cost me $400+).
Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #21

So just to be clear, you were in your motorhome towing a toad or trailer in the HOV lane at 70?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #22

Yes
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy, a LOT of misinformation here.

First... you cannot have a motor home that is longer than 45'...period.

Two... you need a Class "B" non-commercial license for any motor home over 40'. Class "C" for any motor home 40' or less.

Three... the combination of motor home and trailer/toad cannot be longer than 65'.

I just got my class B last year and am very familiar with the law concerning the above.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Thanks, but I'm only concerned about a Class A.
Yes, u do need a license. Class A - If u r towing anything. Class B - Not towing anything. Especially in NC!!!!!!!!!
kitloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #25

Not to highjack the thread, but...

What is the penalty for this overall length infraction in California if you're over 65' in length?

Do they just give you a ticket and you're on your way?

Do the make you unhook and require an alternate vehile to tow whatever it is you're towing?

Cause I'm way over length and may picking up some work in CA soon.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctdixon View Post
Not to highjack the thread, but...

What is the penalty for this overall length infraction in California if you're over 65' in length?

Do they just give you a ticket and you're on your way?

Do the make you unhook and require an alternate vehile to tow whatever it is you're towing?

Cause I'm way over length and may picking up some work in CA soon.
I think the CHP will generally ignore you unless they pull you over for some other infraction, like speeding. Then just be cooperative, yes officer, no officer, and you'll probably be okay. I doubt the regular patrol officers are that well versed in, or looking for, RV length restrictions.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
I just love reading legalese! .
No guesswork involved. Law states in two places it does not apply to towed motor vehicles, specifies 50ft for "other combinations" category. Defines the grade used for the braking test.
Section 26456- Stopping distance requirement tests shall be conducted on a substantially level, dry, smooth, hard-surfaced road that is free from loose material and where the grade does not exceed plus or minus 1 percent.

Florida Statute 316.262 specifies a stopping distance from 20mph of 40 feet for "driveaway-towaway" combinations.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Do you need a special license to drive a Class A RV with a tow vehicle in California?
I was told by DMV, NC, personally, that for a 40 ft RV, has to have non-commercial license class B license, but with a tow u must have a non-commercial license class A. All states required simmered laws. When in doubt ask the dmv!!!! It doesn't matter what state u r from, u better have the right license to drive ur RV in any state. If ur state don't require it, but if u go thru any other state, u better have the corrected required licence or plan on having to pay through the nose in finds for not having the correct license. This all comes from DMV!!! Believe me or not, that us up to u, but trust me there is no free ride if u r stopped or in an accident (ur fault or the other's fault). Don't matter who is fault if for any reason u r sstopped. Don't forget we r talking about class "A" motor homes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
40ft is the maximum length motorhome that can be driven with a regular class c license and as said you can tow anything up to 10k pounds ( towed weight ) and under 65' total length. If the motorhome is over 40' then a class a noncommercial license is needed and then your towed weight can exceed 10k pounds but you still have to be under 65' total length.

This is for a California based driver and vehicle. Other states are different.
CA, may not charge u for in ur state, but don't believe this in other states!
kitloft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, tow