Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #15

I used Speedco in Louisana and had real good service. Only draw back was very busy and had to wait awhile
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hey All...
Been seeing a lot of people using Speedco and just happened to find one here in Denver.
Don't know much about them but they seem like they are a Quick Lube for big rigs?
If you have used them, could you share your experience with them.
Anything helps and much appreciated.
UAV
At various Speedco locations I have never payed over $300.00 for both an engine oil change...a generator oil change... changing oil and fuel filters... plus a chassis lube.

UNLIKE most other service shops.

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using Speedco since buying the MH in 2012. The yearly service, oil change, lube, and generator service, is less than $300 for my Cummins ISC350 engine. I understand that most truck shops charge over $500 for the same service!

Speedco lets you stay in the shop and watch them service the MH. They have some good techs, but a lot of trainees! I once caught them filling my generator coolant reservoir with engine oil! They also left the diesel fuel line to my generator loose after replacing the filter one time.

Bottom line is that it's a good deal IF you really keep an eye on them! I watch them closely and don't mind asking a lot of questions, such as "what oil are you putting in"!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using the Speedco in Fernley, NV, for the last four years. All were positive experiences except my second one when it was clear the service person didn't know what he was doing with the generator.

I spoke with the manager and got everything straightened out. He told me they have some techs that have experience with motor homes.

He suggested in the future to call ahead of time and find out the days and hours that an experienced motor home tech would be working. That is what I've done for the last two years, and everything has gone very smoothly.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Had my rig serviced in Dallas a few weeks ago. Felt like rig service was fine I had them service my Power Tech generator as well. That didn't go so well. I think they got the oil filter wrong. Anyway! As I was leaving I started the gen set, it ran just a minute and died. I got out and looked, and oil was all over the pavement.

They took it back in, worked on it a little while, put a different filter on. It started and ran fine. However, before I could leave, the manager insisted that their diesel mechanic inspected it.

Anyone can make a mistake, but I was impressed with the way they handled it and made it right. Yep, cost me a couple additional hours, but I respect the way they fixed it and checked it.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
P.S. I will buy a filter and provide it myself next year when I have the generator serviced.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #21
UAV

Would that be the fuel filter and/or oil filter?
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hey All...

Been seeing a lot of people using Speedco and just happened to find one here in Denver.

Don't know much about them but they seem like they are a Quick Lube for big rigs?

If you have used them, could you share your experience with them.

Anything helps and much appreciated.
They fill the bill for a quick service but the draw back is you have to watch what they do. The one I used three years ago messed up my antifreeze. They didn't read the label by the reserve coolant tank that it was permanent charge anti freeze. They added 3 bottles of PH booster. After I got home I spoke to Spartan Chassis training mechanic and he said it must be drained and refilled with permanent charge antifreeze to prevent probable holes in the liners. I do have to give them credit though, they made good on their mistake and authorized Cummins Northwest to do the correct service on my cooling system at no cost to me. You should always know what any shop does on your coach. If you find a reliable trustworthy shop, stick with them if you can.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
They fill the bill for a quick service but the draw back is you have to watch what they do.
You should always know what any shop does on your coach. If you find a reliable trustworthy shop, stick with them if you can.
trux
The UPSIDE to Speedco is that they DO allow you to watch what they do, (which allows you to catch a mistake as it happens and have it corrected before you pay the bill and leave).

Most other service shops don't.
You have to "believe" they didn't screw something up, (which even reliable trustworthy shops all to often DO).

If I am not allowed in a shop while work on my coach is being done I go to a different shop.

Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Thats good advice Bob. I am going to take my coach there in a few weeks. I was wondering how well they did. I think I will stick to changing the oil in the coach (cummins 8.3) and both fuel filters.

I'll report back when I am done
Speedco of Indianapolis did a great job with my ISC 8.3. The floor manager invited me to her desk while they changed oil, filter, fuel filters, generator oil N filter. Everyone was courteous and friendly while asking me questions. When replacing the drain plugs, they invited me into the pit to observe the plugs being torqued to spec.
I asked the floor manager to use my spare filters and I would buy replacements from Speedco. When they tried to install my filters, only then did I learn I had bought the wrong filters, and had been hauling them around for a year, even to the Canadian Maritimes.
They inspected the tires and advised me to have a wheel alignment due to uneven wear.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
I use Premier truck service (Freightliner) in Ft Worth. Their Preventative Maintenance service is very competitive with Speedco. A plus, their techs are all FL trained.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sure wish Speedco and Blue Beacon would build facilities somewhere around where I live, ( north of Seattle south of Canadian border) .
There is very few places for service and absolutely no truck washes anywhere close.
I even sent emails to both requesting they consider opening facilities in this area.... I think they would make a killing because there is very little competition.
I take my coach to Valley Freightliner for service and wash it myself whenever I can....

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote