Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

speedo really off

We Have a 2000 National Seabreeze and the speedometer is really wacky. When we first start out (cold) the speedo will only go to 44 mph when we are really going 60. As things warms up it gets better but is still not correct. where do I need to look? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
BoPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
what chassis do you have?
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Please put your speedo back on.............it's bad enough seeing them on the beach.LOL
leadfoot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

My `04 Sea Breeze speedo jumped to 40 as soon as I start moving, but was ok after 40. Dealer replaced instrument cluster under extended service contract. Cost $500+.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

We have a F53 ford chassis
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

F53 Ford
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Pull the plastic cover off of the top of the dash. There should be 2-3 connectors on the back of the instrument cluster. Un-plug and re-plug them a couple of times. It didn't work for me, but it may for you. Also, re-seat the connectors on the transmission. That did work for me, but didn't last.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

heres a quick solution until you can get it fixed, buy a gps. they are always nice to have and most have a speedo right on the main screen. i find myself using the one on the gps more than the one on the dash, don't have to take my eyes off the road...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some GPS units display MPH, If you use Microsoft Streets & Trips it will show MPH in the upper left of your screen... Of course only when it can see the birds can it do that but.. I would use that till you get to a speedo shop.

Speedometers come in two flavors.. Older units use a mechinical system where a gear turns a cable runs inside a sleeve up to the speedometer in the dash where it turns some more grears and a system of devices turns the rotation of the gears into a speed indication.

A variation of this uses a small electric generator instead of the cable, and wires to a voltmeter that is calibrated in MPH instead of volts. (The faster the generator turns the more volts)

The newer ones, which may be analog or digital, use digital electronics to send an electronic signal to a computer which then does the math (Literally counting rotations).

I can not imagine a new digital electronic job doing as you describe. But both of the older types can do strange things.

For example if the generator is worn out it might not make proper contact till warmed up and thus give a slower than it should indication.

The one on my car was highly off till you hit about 25MPH then it settled down.

The one on my motor home (Newer, all digital to an analog indicator) tends to be within 1/2 MPH of the GPS at all speeds.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

How about mine jumping to 40 almost immediately, then being ok after I got over 40. The odometer was off by about 2.5 10ths per mile. All gauges are analog.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had a problem with my speedometer acting erratically. It would be fine and then go up or down a few mph. Then sometimes it would bounce all over the place. I was told to check my grounds on the dash. I did and it cured the problem. If yours is mechanical that won't apply. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #12

On the differential there is a speed sensor ... when they go bad they will show erratic readouts on the speedometer. It's held in by a single bolt ( 10mm I believe) and has a quick wire disconnect and they cost about $20 at Ford.

I had one fail on the motorhome and also one failed in my pickup.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #13

Some are on the diff, some are on the transmission. My F53 doesn't have one on the diff.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #14

I have replaced the sensor in the diff. Have not had it on the road yet but will update you guys as soon as I do. Thanks for all your help.