Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Speedometer Not Working, Off

My 2000 Coachman Catalina , the speedometer is off when driving .
Izzy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

OFF? meaning incorrect? If you have a engine mounted ECM that reads that information from a wheel sensor, and the data is going to the ECM correctly, the engine manufacture, (CAT, Cummins) will be able to reset the ratio with their equipment.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
OFF? meaning incorrect? If you have a engine mounted ECM that reads that information from a wheel sensor, and the data is going to the ECM correctly, the engine manufacture, (CAT, Cummins) will be able to reset the ratio with their equipment.
My speedometer is off. When I stop , it takes a few second , before it goes to zero. When I start driving is goes to 40 when I am doing 15mph. I took it to the shop and the speed sensor was replaced. Not fix
Izzy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy G View Post
My speedometer is off. When I stop , it takes a few second , before it goes to zero. When I start driving is goes to 40 when I am doing 15mph. I took it to the shop and the speed sensor was replaced. Not fix

I dont know what chassis you have but when I bought this rig the previous neglectful owner told me about this issue which sounds allot like what you described. He said he found a company (internet) that will rebuild the unit for about $150.

I am sorry I dont have any more info but it will point you in the right direction.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

99.9% chance the problem is in the speedo head, particularly if it's the only instrument on the dash acting up , and as mentioned , it needs to be rebuilt or replaced .
Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

my speedometer not working on my instrument cluster

Ok I hope this helps you out but I just had this issue on my 2005 gulf stream my speedometer would not work but everything else worked fine. I had to send instrument cluster out for repair. found out some components went bad in the cluster they replaced all of them and reprogrammed mine. I got it back and installed it and now works like it should. I will give the company name and recommend them to call and see if they can assist you R.T. Grim Electronics of PA I hope this helps you and if any one seeing this post and thinks it should go somewhere else go ahead and move it. Thanks
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
Ok I hope this helps you out but I just had this issue on my 2005 gulf stream my speedometer would not work but everything else worked fine. I had to send instrument cluster out for repair. found out some components went bad in the cluster they replaced all of them and reprogrammed mine. I got it back and installed it and now works like it should. I will give the company name and recommend them to call and see if they can assist you R.T. Grim Electronics of PA I hope this helps you and if any one seeing this post and thinks it should go somewhere else go ahead and move it. Thanks
Was that on a Workhorse chassis with the Actia gauges?

OP....what chassis/engine do you have?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 AM   #8

my speedometer not working on my instrument cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Was that on a Workhorse chassis with the Actia gauges?

OP....what chassis/engine do you have?
I have the F53 and the ford v-10 engine and my cluster number is 3C3F10849MA as this cluster is on many different makes of motorhomes that are on the same chassis. I'm thinking this cluster was made in the masses so I'm sure a lot of other RVers many be having 1 or another issue with their instrument cluster just don't want to see peeps waste a lot of other time like I did from info what a Ford dealer told me to try
Old 05-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. A few other folks have reported their F53 speedometers have stopped working. I've never seen anyone post about one being fixed.

(As I have posted before, the '99 - '04 F53 cluster is unique to the F53. It's very similar to the '99 - '01 Super Duty, and somewhat similar to a '97 - '99 F150, but not the same. Not that it helps here, but maybe will help when some finds this thread later. Just like this year old thread helped someone.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

I'm hoping my info helps some fellow RVers out as I sure didn't get any help from a local Ford Dealer here in Indiana it's a shame this info isn't shared among Ford. I found out my issue from a different website where people were having issues with their clusters on F-250,350,450, and 550"s and someone said give those guys a call so I did and they said yes we can fix your issue and a $185.00 charge is better than a dealer trying to sell me a new 1 for over a $1000.00 dollars and also found my cluster number on their website.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

Speedo Problems

Definitely check out an instrument repair shop for a quote. I've used one in the past with good results.

Option B (If repair is exorbitant). My RV770 Garmin displays MPH in addition to directions. I assume you want to avoid speeding tickets, so this might be an option.

Does the odometer work correctly? How about cruise control? I can see how not having a speedometer would be really annoying. Good luck.
Stannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:30 AM   #12

everything worked fine on my cluster except speedometer and cruise worked fine along with odometer and trip meter. The only issue was speedometer and all ready had it sent out for repair and reinstalled working like it should
Old 06-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
I have the F53 and the ford v-10 engine and my cluster number is 3C3F10849MA as this cluster is on many different makes of motorhomes that are on the same chassis. I'm thinking this cluster was made in the masses so I'm sure a lot of other RVers many be having 1 or another issue with their instrument cluster just don't want to see peeps waste a lot of other time like I did from info what a Ford dealer told me to try
I have the F-53 Chassis and my Speedometer was not working after Jump starting a dead chassis battery. It caused a sudden surge knocking out the Speedometer stepper motor. All other instruments were fine. I removed the instrument cluster and took it to a speedometer shop in SLC Utah. It cost me $250 to replace the stepper motor and recalibrate the unit. I was told that if you use (push) the aux start button with the ignition key on the sudden surge will knock out or damage the speedometer stepper motor or instrument cluster. Same thing when jump starting.
Mel
Old 06-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #14

2005 Winnie Sightseer 29R Instrument Cluster

Have a 2005 Sightseer V10 F-53 chassis. Getting the RV ready fir a trip to MI, while driving it to fill up the tanks I noticed the speedometer has not working. All the other gauges on the cluster are working (RPM, Fuel, Temp, Battery, Oil pressure and the mileage and trip number turn).

Do I need to order a whole new instrument cluster or can I fix just the speedometer? If need to order a new one where can I get it from with overnight shipping, leaving in 4 days

Any help would be appreciated!

instrument cluster model #XC3F-10E853-JC (on side of cluster) or XC3F-10C956-DC (on back of Cluster)

Thank you,
Todd
Icetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer