Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #1

Spin balance or bead balance

I am getting new tires put on this week and I was told they can balance them either way. Which would be the preferred method? They are 19.5" tires .
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If they can spin them up to highway speeds, I would go with the spin balance. This will allow you to find out if they go out of round at highway speeds
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
They usually don't spin them at highway speeds and the weights don't like to stay on aluminum wheels.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

TCi Stores

all TCi Tire Centers do spin balancing at 55 mph.

That is plenty good.

Works for me!

JohnnyB
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #5

I have steel wheels if that makes a difference.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Another route is using "Centermatics" they're metal disks that mount behind the rim and continually balance the tire and wheel assembly. Yes they're a bit pricey up front but will last thru about 5 tire changes, where beads must be replace with each tire change. I got mine from "Florida Shores Truck Center" at a discount from where I'd found then other places.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree on centramatics, have full sets on all my OTR trucks and trailers they do a fantastic job. I have run many sets over 1 million miles and they are still going. Usually no more than $199.00 an axle, check the internet sometimes you can get a deal.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the ceramic beads in my tires and get a very smooth ride. I put them in myself while new Samson tires were put on. If you use beads, be sure to have a couple of clean rags handy to wipe off the soap they put on the tires to install them. Very happy with results.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

TCI installed equil in my tires approximately 2 years ago. After repeatedly complaining about ride they did spin balance the front tires which Improved the ride. Spin balance for me in the future.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bead balancing only for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #11

If you can find a facility that would do a "road force" balance, I believe that to be the best... it combines a spin balance with the force of the road...

Road Force Balancing | MotorWeek

I just had my new 22.5's replaced three weeks ago.. its the ONLY way I will have any of my tires balanced..

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, spin balance the wheels and tires as a last resort, because it only balances what you spin, basically the wheel and tire. Beads and Centramatics balance the whole spinning assembly, including the hub, the lugs and nuts, the brake drum/rotor, even the valve cap or tpms sensor. And they last for as long as you run those tires in the case of beads, or forever in the case of Centramatics. Spin balancing doesn't last long at all. Beads for me
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
I am getting new tires put on this week and I was told they can balance them either way. Which would be the preferred method? They are 19.5" tires .
pacevette,
This is an age old debate that, in all reality, is simply a matter of choice. The senior way of balancing is with spinning and weights. The truckers started using a liquid/ball bearing system decades ago. I remember when I was little and we were on vacation traveling some place, we'd stop for the night at some sleezy hotel and, I'd wander around the parking lot looking at these "MONSTER" 18 wheel trucks that were there too.

I noticed a round tube, that was semi-clear, sort of pink-ish, that housed some fluid and, some ball bearings. Man, at that age, was I perplexed or what??? I later found out that those were balancing systems for the tires and wheels. They've been improved since way back then.

Then there's the balancing beads that, can be inserted through the valve stem or, the ones I tried one time that were plastic bags that were tossed into the inside of the tire, prior to it being seated and inflated.

Well, in my case, when all six tires were installed, I was on my way. Something didn't feel right. I lived with it about a couple of weeks. I was still getting shakes and vibrations at many speeds. So, back to the tire store I went. Just as a check, the jacked up one of the front wheels and, put a spin balance motor/rotor against my free wheeling front tire. They proceeded to spin it up to speed but, it was shaking so bad that they had to stop.

So, the dismounted that tire, only to find out the bags had NEVER BROKE OPEN. So, they did the other front wheel/tire and, found the same thing. Well, guess what, it was the same in all four rears too.

So, out came the bags and, they spun balanced all six. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BETTER!! Now, was this an isolated case? Maybe. But, I've had probably about 50 cars, 15 or so trucks, 20 or so motorcycles and, four motor homes and, basically, each and every one has had spin balancing done them. I have yet to be dissatisfied with that process.

There are many folks out there that are completely happy with the balancing beads, "Balance Masters" (liquid and ball bearing type) and other methods. It's a matter of choice.

One of the first things I do when getting either truck or motor home tires is, I poke my nose right close to the balancing machine the tech is using to see just how much run-out the tire(s) have. If they look even questionable to me, I have them investigate weather the tire(s) are OUT OF ROUND or not. I've caught a few that way and had them changed to other tires. An EGG is a EGG. You can attempt to balance for the rest of your life but, it's still an EGG. Just something to consider.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
When I had the drive tires replaced, the place where I purchased them did the Hunter Road Force Spin Balance. Discovered that I had a bad rim because the wheel/tire traveled laterally while the assembly was being spun.

I don't think that bead balancing would have caught that.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote