Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Spongy roof spot repair thoughts

6 months ago I removed an obsolete satellite dish. I used lap sealant to fill small holes and made a stainless steel plate to cover the large hole. At that time there was a hint of a soft spot. Unfortunately it has grown. You may be able to see a dashed line outlying the soft spot. The roof is rubber and I suspect epdm. How can I confirm? I’m thinking of cutting a section of rubber out about 2 foot by 3 foot, exposing the spongy spot and all the holes from the dish. Then cutting the very thin plywood sheeting out and replacing it with a new sheet. Maybe using small metal backing plates with screws to suck the edges down even with each other. Maybe fiberglass over the seam and then glue a new epdm patch over the bare spot. Then eternabond around the epdm seam and dicore lap sealant on the eternabond seam. Sound ok? Where can I get epdm piece? What is proper adhesive to glue epdm to plywood? My roof is curved Is the plywood glued to styrofoam below? Are there ribs giving the roof strength? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F61C8973-83BA-4DC7-A11A-C18693D80728.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	295771   Click image for larger version

Name:	E05720EB-6171-46F5-A693-552B488AFC67.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	295775  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is what I would do, just a recommendation. I would mark a rectangle out on the roof that extends about 3 inches past the weak spot and then cut an x corner to corner in the rubber room and make an attempt to peal the rubber back, which may turn out to be tough job, to expose the substrate and depending on what you find replace what you can. Since it is on the top and not something that has to look good I would over lap the solid substrate using a glue designed to work with what ever you find mechanically attach the new to the old using the smallest screw you can find with a tapered head to seat into the new. then replace the rubber you pealed back obtain an new piece of rubber roof material to cover the entire area and use etenabond bond tape on the edges, Basically what you planned. Fiberglass as you posted would work but the new rubber might not stick as well depending on what the substrate turns out to be. I do a lot of fibregglass work and find many times I have problems getting stuff to stick well to the resin.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks. The substrate is a thin plywood. I saw it when I removed skylights, reefer vent, etc for resealing.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
EPDM Repair

EPDM is usually black and almost 1/8th inch thick.Looks like yours has a reflective coating.If you can clean it off you'll get a more permanent bond. Knowing exactly what the roofing material is will be the first step.Calling the manufacturer might save some work.EPDM seams or overlaps use a special glue much like contact cement. Both mating surfaces have to be well cleaned.You can use a white gas like camping stove fuel.A roller helps to squeeze out air bubbles and mate the 2 surfaces.Some pressure is needed. Overlap the old rubber at least 6 inches and they have a caulking for the edge of the overlapping top layer.The glue should bond the EPDM to whatever you repair the soft spot with.Plywood etc. Roofing suppliers usually want to sell you a roll and a 1 gallon of glue. A roofing company might sell you a scrap piece and a half empty can. Good luck
fasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #6

After watching video, I’ve determined our roof is epdm as the underside is black.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

The plywood there may be delaminating . Does it feel like a bubble or pocket that gets tighter after you press it down, don't blow through. Looks like there was a screw hole there already . I would a small incision near it and poke with a pick or drill bit. A biopsy so to speak. See if its wet still what the plywood is like.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #8

It feels rotted, soft, lack of integrity below membrane.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

It's a pretty small spot . A wood patch scabbed in at 45 angles all the way around epoxied some screws to pull it down and brad or finish nails shot toe nail style grind any protrusions. Should support plenty of weight. What's the protrusion next to it is that on a support you may want eliminate or incorporate into repair patch. Great care and planning to not cut through too deep or drive any fasteners through of course.
There are also Smith marine epoxy that harden wood into basically fiberglass.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wish you luck. I’m afraid you may find more extensive damage. When water gets below the membrane it goes everywhere.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, roof