Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spring Prep issues!!

Getting the "Journey to Insanity" prepped for our 1st trip yesterday. First issue whole house water filter canister threaded portion broke off from canister, well a little Super Glue GEL and that's fixed. Next hooked hose up to flush water system, and can hear the check valve @ hose hook up whining even though everything's off, water leaking from under divider by water tank. Remove metal divider and see a cracked elbow fitting on the back of the tank, and of course it's on the far bottom corner. Get the fitting off and go to Home Depot and of course no plastic fittings so, I McIver a new elbow out of 2 different brass fittings. Get the new fitting installed and that's working great too. Next time to air up the tires, front and outside rear duals all OK, both inside rear duals FLAT (darn valve stem extensions their coming off next fall). Left inner dual takes air OK and inflates to needed PSI's. Right inner dual tire has broken away from the rim!! So using manual leveling I raise the right rear off the ground and let it set for a bit, then throw the air to it and the tire reseals (who says theirs not a GOD looking over us). Well things come in 3'rs and I've had mine so now I'm good for the whole summer right?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Do yourself a favor and trashcan those extensions. Just have a truck tire shop dismount them and put some nice long metal valve stems on them bent/angled so you can reach them easily from the outside. :-)

Spring is really here?!?.... this orange thing in the sky hurts my eyes... what is it?!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my humble opinion, I would not rely on super glue to fix my water filter canister. I would not trust it. In an emergency, OK, but not permanently. I would replace the housing. Sounds like you've got everything else under control. Good luck on your trip.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Oh the 'joys' of getting the MH ready for the first trip!!!! We are still a couple weeks away from getting ours our and yes I expect to have some 'issues' to address. One that I know is going to be fun is replacing the awning covers for all of the slide outs. The covers are on the way but it will be a while before they get installed.
OP, hopefully all else will go good for you as you had your 'spring task' taken care of. Do get a new housing for the filter as you do not want it to fail when you are out someplace.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Kliwks; the super glue I used was the GEL version and I've actually used it to re-glue metal plates on license plate bolts. The RV center that did the winterization order a new canister and had it drop shipped to my home. It's due to arrive Wed and we're leaving Thurs, would you bet it gets here before we leave?? The other alternative was to go to Home depot and make a bypass set up and just by pass the filter head. Just got done using air to blow out the water lines because of forecast temps down to 20 on Tues night. Had air press set at 50psi and filter held. I have a water press reg that's set at 40psi. thin k I'll be OK for a weekend trip.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to agree with Kliwks on the super glue fix. It might work on some things but I'd be a little leary on trying to stop a leak on a water line, water always seeks the path of least resistance and I just cannot believe you will get a good solid fix (been wrong before though and numerous times).

As far as the RV center that did your winterization - hum. I guess that's another issue with me.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Had water pressure on the system for about 5 hrs Sat. with no issues. The canister broke right at the base of the threads and above the "O" ring seal so there's no water present where I glued, just the pressure of tightening it on the head. I do have a new canister enroute here but am not betting on it being here before we leave.