Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #1

Squeaky entrance door on the highway

Hello there,

The door latch and pin on the main entrance door of our 2016 Itasca Sunstar 35F squeaks like crazy when we are on the road.

the problem is the door latch contacting the pin on the door frame. when it was new the pin was covered in some paint or plastic to prevent this squeak, but it wore off after 15000 miles... i can see where the latch is grinding on on part of the pin and wearing it down.

i know this is the problem area because i wrapped the pin with just enough electrical tape to make the latch snug when closed. it worked with no squeak at all for about 200 miles

i got too busy and didnt replace the tape. next time i held a zip loc bag on the pin and closed the door hard. this worked too but it is a real pain in the neck.

how do you fix this?

i do not want to put grease on the pin because the pin will brush by my wife and kids when they enter and exit and get in their hair and clothes.

i thought about trying to by some thin UHMW tape to wrap around the pin

thanks for your ideas!
fredbrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally fixed mine. I looked for the rub points. It was on the outside of the latch, easiest place to see, and the inside of the hex head of the pin. Too close to each other. I unscrewed the pin and placed a thin washer between the base and the frame. Clearance now is 1/16". Thin amount of grease applied to both pin and latch. Should never heat from them again.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #3

Had the same problem... it drives you nuts. I put a small amount of lithium grease around it and problem solved.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Lithium grease and squeak no more.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Well Gang,
As he stated, he doesn't want to USE GREASE! I can surely understand his reasoning. While no one would intentionally touch any greased up door latch with hands or clothes, it can easily happen, going in or out. So, a more logical approach would be to either use the UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) anti-friction tape or, possibly remove the latch pin and put a nylon bushing on it, if possible. I constantly have to MacGyver stuff like that. My entire door seal was squeaking during our travels and, being it's a pusher, that seal/door is right close to both of us. So, I stopped at a Napa in some small town and purchased some "Sylglide". It's greasy like stuff that's more of a jelled Silicone lubricant.

Wiped that stuff all over that door seal. NO MORE SQUEAKS. But, that door seal was nasty after just a short while of traveling. You didn't want to get near it. So, I wiped that all off and put a super light coat of baby powder on it. NO MORE SQUEAKS and, not nearly as dirty and grungy after extended use. Just a thought here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just use electrical tape. It works great and lasts a long time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #7

I had that problem with our Bay Star, as well as many other owners and electrical tape was the easy fix. BUT...I also discovered that if I use the dead bolt lock when I close the door prior to hitting the road, I haven't had the squeak problem. So, I'm curious as to which lock you are using on your Itasca.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

Usually the deadbolt. But I can see if it were more tight than the latch then it would hold the latch off. I could try to adjust. I’m going to try tape and either paraffin wax or tape and lithium grease
Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #9

Just a small dab of litenum grease inside the latch and wipe off any excess. Chances of getting any residue on your clothing, skin or hair is pretty much zero unless you try really hard. But... to each his own. Good luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just use electrical tape. It works great and lasts a long time!

+1 for the electrical tape solution. I do periodically cut the old tape off and apply new, but it does last a pretty good while (depends on door open/close cycles).

Good news. . . No grease to get on you clothes.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I had that problem with our Bay Star, as well as many other owners and electrical tape was the easy fix. BUT...I also discovered that if I use the dead bolt lock when I close the door prior to hitting the road, I haven't had the squeak problem. So, I'm curious as to which lock you are using on your Itasca.
I should have also clarified that I still use electrical tape, so it's possible that using the deadbolt is help the longevity of the tape. Prior to using the deadbolt, I had to replace the tape frequently.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #12

Either lock gets the same squeak.

It will depend on how tight your deadbolt is versus the regular latch

Tags
door