Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #1

Squirrels & Chipmunks

2005 Class A Newmar Scotsdale. Squirrels or Chipmunks in my ceiling. I followed procedures and set a small trap outside somewhere they were entering and caught a large Squirrel no problem. Problem has returned i think now are Chipmunks because the can get in a out of the trap with out setting it off. I also have tried small sticky pad but they see to reach a single peanut with out stepping into the glue. One squirrel did get caught but got free after leaving a lot of fur on the glue.

I have read that squirrels and Chipmunks will not eat rat or mouse poison. This type of poison does dehydrate rats or mice and does reduce the smell as always keeps water close to speed the process.

The problem is in two weeks I will ne storing the RV (Live in Ontario CA) for the winter and these rodents probably will distroy the wiring if not caught.

I was wondering if I were to grid up rat and or mouse poison to a fine power and mix it well with peanut butter with a side dish of water would this work. There is about an inch between the ceiling and vent as the cover goes right up into the duck work.

Any suggestions would really be appreciate

On a side note can make lots of openings in my ceiling using the air conditioner vents and returns to slip poison into.

Thanks
Scotsdale
Scotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

If you have those critters getting into your roof, then you have bigger problems.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Rats in tuxedos and tree rats. Try sticky traps where they are entering and leaving. Of course you will be faced with angry chipmunks or maybe even squirrels that will have to be dealt with. You might want to call a pest control company and find out what they recommend.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Try this live trap. Seems to have great sucess.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Ranc..._1570582510714
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
First and foremost close up the hole they 're entering in.

Had this problem in my shed a couple of years ago. One of the eaves fell down in the back. It took me a year or so to realize this. I'm a little slow.

They made nests, ate everything and finally chewed through my pull cord on the lawn mower, what a pain to replace.

I closed up the eave and haven't had a problem since.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #6

Havahart 1020

I've had great success with this trap for mice and chipmunks. Sunflower seeds for bait.

Havahart® X-Small 2-Door Trap Model #: 1020
Old 10-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

Biggest worry with rat poison is the critters may eat and then crawl into your class A and die there. Rat poison causes internal bleeding. You won't know if they die outside or inside the MH until it's too late.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #8

If you can lure them in your trap you own , you could add smaller animal fence to out side of cage . Use tie wire or ziptie to fasten.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Use ORTHO TOMCAT mouse traps for Chipmunks and rat traps for squirrels.

They have a little cup to put the peanut butter in. They really have to work at it to get the bait, and WILL spring the trap. -Paul