Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Stabilizing jack fluid

I have 2000 SouthWind Storm 34N with stabilizing jacks. I am going on my third winter snow birding in AZ. I have the feeling that the jack system is low on fluid bacause I hear the pump burbling if the jacks are extremely extended and the "Jacks up" light doesn't go out until I have shut the system off and then turn it on again. Where the Heck is the system Hidden so I mioght be able to top off the fluid
hhshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhshort View Post
I have 2000 SouthWind Storm 34N with stabilizing jacks. I am going on my third winter snow birding in AZ. I have the feeling that the jack system is low on fluid bacause I hear the pump burbling if the jacks are extremely extended and the "Jacks up" light doesn't go out until I have shut the system off and then turn it on again. Where the Heck is the system Hidden so I mioght be able to top off the fluid

run the pump and listen to where the source noise is. usually up front under passenger seat area use Dex 3 ATF
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Do not add Fluid with Jacks Down and or slides out
This will cause you to overfill the tank and when you bring the jack in the fluid will come out of the tank
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

The filler plug is on the side, near the top of the reservoir tank. You will have to come up with a way to get fluid in there. When I rebuilt a jack and had to refill, I bought an inexpensive "fluid transfer pump" at an auto parts store. It screwed into an ATF bottle (in place of the cap) and had about an 18" output hose. It was just the thing. It worked great.
You should top it off with the jacks up, cycle the jacks (extend then retract) and add fluid again if it still needs some. If you have air in the system, you may have to cycle 3 times or so.

On our 1998 Southwind, I had to get totally under the coach to get to the reservoir. I put blocking under the front tires to get it up enough to have space to work under there.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank You guys for the responses but I am still looking. On My storm the LP tank is behind the passenger front wheel. I cannot pinpoint the pump sound from the my position at the leveling controls. So that is where I will have to enlist my wife's keen ears. I will need to assume that it is completely under the coach inside the frame. In any case the serious looking is going to be left for AZ. as a polar plunge is coming into SD tomorrow.
hhshort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid