RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 04:16 AM   #1

Stabler Ride on Class A

I saw an old thread from 2017 about Safe-T-Plus vs Roadmaster Reflex, and most preferred the Safe-T-Plus. Now in 2019 are people still recommending the Safe-T-Plus? Any ballpark on cost of the STP?

Also, do you all still recommend sway bars, Koni(?) shocks and Sumo springs? Anything else I need?

Is it possible to widen the rear axle at all? Seems like a whole lot of RV overhanging over the rear wheels.

Had a 2015 Airstream Bambi 19, but now we have a toddler and need more space, so picking up our first micro class A diesel in a couple of weeks (Winnie Via), and I want to make stability a priority right from the start. I drove my dad's Winnie View and had quite a scare when I got passed by a bus on the freeway. I'm hoping the dealer can install the upgrades before I pick up.

Thank you all in advance!

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Via was built on a Sprinter chassis and steering stabilizers like the Safe-T-Plus are not built for independent front suspensions.

No, you are not going to widen your rear axle. Your suspension was designed to work the way it is. You could add a heavier anti-sway bar if you think it moves around too much.

Afraid of getting passed by big trucks and buses? Keep your speed up closer to the speed limit and understand the physics of what is going on. Buses, truck, box trucks, and even large vans create a bow wave ahead of the vehicle and an area of negative pressure behind the vehicle. The bow wave will push you over a foot or two and the negative pressure will suck you back the other way a foot or two - net result, you haven't moved. Learning to anticipate this slight movement will make you a better, more relaxed driver.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

There’s not much you’re going to be able to do to the Via since it’s on a Sprinter chassis. Everything you’ve mentioned is for the Ford F53 chassis. (With the exception of “widening the axle”, that’s just crazy)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #4

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The Via was built on a Sprinter chassis and steering stabilizers like the Safe-T-Plus are not built for independent front suspensions.

No, you are not going to widen your rear axle. Your suspension was designed to work the way it is. You could add a heavier anti-sway bar if you think it moves around too much.

Afraid of getting passed by big trucks and buses? Keep your speed up closer to the speed limit and understand the physics of what is going on. Buses, truck, box trucks, and even large vans create a bow wave ahead of the vehicle and an area of negative pressure behind the vehicle. The bow wave will push you over a foot or two and the negative pressure will suck you back the other way a foot or two - net result, you haven't moved. Learning to anticipate this slight movement will make you a better, more relaxed driver.
Thanks... good to know. I'll get the beefier sway bars, struts, and springs and just learn to adjust and not panic. It only happened one time on my 2 hour drive, and it caught me completely by surprise. I'll be driving mine a whole lot more than 2 hours, so I'll get better!
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #5

We just had a STP unit installed on our 35 Excursion and the cost of the unit and install kit for that suspension was around 500. Install labor was about an hour plus we had an alignment done so all in all we were around 800ish if I remember correctly. Been very happy so far with the results!

Mark
nyparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a