Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #1

Stackable washer/dryer

What’s the best brand? Where do I buy them? Can you buy a residential set? Do they fit through the door?
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

We have a 24” stackable Whirlpool washer dryer. Works well. Dryer is 110 so drying can take a bit longer than a pure residential 240 dryer. Fits through RV door
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

A typical residential washer and dryer won't fit. I believe the stackable unit such as the Whirlpool are called Apartment washers and dryers. I too have the Whirlpool units and I'm satisfied with their performance.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the Ariston model Splendide stacked units for 12 years and love them both. I can dry a load of wash in the 115 volt dryer in 50 minutes. I usually run the washer and dryer at the same time without issue. I think the 1200 RPM spin speed of the washer spins almost all the moisture out of the clothes so the drying time is reduced. Most convectional washers spin at 5 or 600 RPM so they don't get as much moisture out of the clothes as this Splendide model does.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Whether anything fits through the door depends on the size of the door - all RVs are not the same! Nor are all washer/dryers!

Yes you can buy residential sets - even the Splendide combo units are designed to be residential types. They just happen to work well in Rvs too.

You probably want a dryer that can be operated on 120v power, since RVs often do not have 240v available inside (240v is available with 50A service only). And maybe an apartment-sized set because they are usually physically smaller and lighter, as well as designed with 120v power in mind.

The best one if the one with the features and controls you like - it's a personal choice thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
X2 on Maytag apartment units with 110v dryer option. No problems at all with mine.

In a pinch, a window might be the answer if your door is too narrow. Means some serious uninstall and reinstall, but that is how some of the larger refrigerators are frequently loaded in.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

X2 on Gary's comment. I had a drain pump go out in my original Kenmore washer. I pulled the washer out of the closet but could not get it out of the bathroom (I have a pocket door on both sides of the bathroom). It was very painful trying to work on the washer in the confines of the bathroom.
Last week at the Tampa RV supershow/NKK rally I asked one of the Newmar techs about it and he came in and showed me that I had to remove the pocket door from the pocket and when I measured door casing to casing, I have 3/8" spare room to get the washer out of the bathroom
I also went to the nearby Camping World and measured the splendide washer cabinets, in case I need to replace the Kenmore, and front to back, if I remove the cabinet top, they are small enough for me to get it in. The splendide is wider than the Kenmore (side to side) though. I think it was 23". I have the measurements out in the coach if anyone needs them.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We have a 24” stackable Whirlpool washer dryer. Works well. Dryer is 110 so drying can take a bit longer than a pure residential 240 dryer. Fits through RV door

Thanks
Do you have the model numbers on them.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have Splendide stackables and love them. Can't imagine camping without a W/D in the rig
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #10

We have Splendide stackables. They work well. We were advised to be sure we got the vented dryer. Wife loves them.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #11

Our coach came with a combo washer dryer splendide unit, other than the time it takes to do a load becase it both washes and dries my wife sayes it works pretty good, shes able to keep up with our four grandkids needs when they are with us. I saw the same unit at campers world for about 1100.00
sledhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See if this helps and gives you some ideas

https://rvseniormoments.com/2016/08/...dryer-install/

Ariston Dryer TVM63X

Ariston Washer ARWXF129W
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
A typical residential washer and dryer won't fit. I believe the stackable unit such as the Whirlpool are called Apartment washers and dryers. I too have the Whirlpool units and I'm satisfied with their performance.
We have Whirlpool stackable and they get used quite a bit when on the road

No problems as of yet and they seem to work very well, just takes more loads than at home with the large units
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We have Spledide Ariston stacked separates. When we bought the RV I was disappointed at first they weren’t Whirlpool. Then I started hearing multiple complaints about Whirlpools and even people removing their Whirlpool units to replace them with Splendides.

Then I heard Newmar had so many warranty problems with Whirlpool W/D that they stopped installing them and switched to Spledide.

So, glad we got the ones we did in spite of our initial wishes.