Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #15

There is nothing that I know of that would prevent you from starting the generator while driving. Will the generator keep running while you are driving if you start it while you are parked? What I'm thinking is you may have a loose connection in the remote stop/start wiring, that the vibration of driving causes a momentary stop signal to be sent to the generator. Of course if the generator keeps running after starting it while parked this would not be the case

Don.
filadelfia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sounds like you pressed the stop side of the rocker switch.
Well it wouldn't be the first time I did something dumb. I think you may be correct now that I think about it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The light on the switch will flash in the stop position, because that is a way to pre-heat the glow plugs.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The light on the switch will flash in the stop position, because that is a way to pre-heat the glow plugs.
Sounds like you solved the problem. Operator error lol. I'll try it when I get it back from being serviced but I am certain you are correct.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"spdracr39".....I can't think of any lights on a dash generator switch, other the one that indicates it's running. Most likely, you never felt it start. When starting cold (not having been used for awhile), you should always press the rocker to the off position and let the fuel pump prime. The light will come on and if I recall, blink. Then push it to the start position. Sometimes you really have to "feel" it start as you won't hear it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
... Sometimes you really have to "feel" it start as you won't hear it.
We have to do that, but that's because our generator is in the rear with a loud Ford V10 in the cockpit. I'd think the OP's generator would be up front where he is & be able to hear it start.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I set the AC to 72 degrees and start my generator when the dash air can't keep up.

On mine the yellow light comes on when holding the switch to stop/prime mode. Once the light goes out I push it to start.

Agree, but I start mine as soon as the yellow light comes on. I thought that was the way. I never kept holding it to see if it would go off again. Am I doing it wrong? It starts fine my way.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Agree, but I start mine as soon as the yellow light comes on. I thought that was the way. I never kept holding it to see if it would go off again. Am I doing it wrong? It starts fine my way.
With ours, you just push and hold the button down, until it runs, which can be as long as 14secs in cold weather. I've never ever heard the starter turning and just the hum when it takes off.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We have to do that, but that's because our generator is in the rear with a loud Ford V10 in the cockpit. I'd think the OP's generator would be up front where he is & be able to hear it start.

Lori-
Lori.....You would be surprised, you won't hear a diesel generator in a DP start, you'll only feel a thump when it starts and initially shakes on it's motor mounts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lori.....You would be surprised, you won't hear a diesel generator in a DP start, you'll only feel a thump when it starts and initially shakes on it's motor mounts.
that's about the same way it is on mine, since its towards the rear. sometimes I just have to watch the light on the switch to see if its running
Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #25

So every coach is different, but in ours, we have to ensure that we turn the charger function off on the inverter. If we don’t, the generator will only run for a few minutes and shut itself down.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So every coach is different, but in ours, we have to ensure that we turn the charger function off on the inverter. If we don’t, the generator will only run for a few minutes and shut itself down.
Something I have just noticed recently in my coach is that the ALT CHARGE light will sometimes come on when I start the engine with the generator running. The solution to turn out the warning light was to go back to the panel and turn the charger to OFF/STANDBY.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #27

The Alt Charge light is due to the house system voltage being slightly higher then the chassis voltage.

The alternator doesn't sense higher output then battery voltage and sets the light. Turning on the headlights may cure it.

Shutting down after 15 minutes sounds like a incorrect generator auto start setting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Alt Charge light is due to the house system voltage being slightly higher then the chassis voltage.

The alternator doesn't sense higher output then battery voltage and sets the light. Turning on the headlights may cure it.

Shutting down after 15 minutes sounds like a incorrect generator auto start setting.

With our system set up, the system isn’t a fan of multiple inputs of 12V to the batteries (alternator and charger). By turning off the charger at the control panel immediately after starting the generator with the engine running, we haven’t seemed to have issues.