Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #29

Sure, do it all the time. How else could I make coffee, run the coach air and watch TV while going down the road?
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #30

I don’t know what kind of unit you have but on my switch a red light comes on when the switch is pushed and stays on as long as the Genny is running. What condition is your light when you’re parked and running?
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
There is no issue with them running while moving. When you pushed the start button did you hold it until it started? If I just hit mine it will not start I have to hold it until it does.
Same here, with the hold down.
As for starting it under load and even though, there's a delay, I've got this thing about not letting the genset warm up first, thinking that there's moister in there. Yeah, I know that there's probably gonna be some load there, anyway, with this and that.
This in part, because, I once started an old Generac, turned on the ac's and poof, with a white cloud of smoke, with the stator winding blowing a hole in it.
A new stator alone, cost me $400 and shudder to think of what it might have cost, with hiring the labor out and with not doing it all myself.
Gonna quit it, with these concerns though and with this quiet diesel, it must be meant to do so, otherwise, there wouldn't be a genset control button, beside the bed.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #32

Generator problems starting while driving.

Always remember that the generator will not run if the fuel in the rv's tank is less than 1/4, providing that it doesn't run on propane as mine does.
paulhuyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #33

Most of us have run our genunit on the road. Your problem may be something Beaver did. Can you stop, start the unit then drive off?
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I run my generator ALL the time while on the road..I have 3 A/C units and I want to make sure the refrigerator stays cold. As far as knowing if the generator is running all I have to do is look at the house electrical display on my Aladdin monitor and see whether or not I have power.
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Yes
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sounds like you pressed the stop side of the rocker switch.

That would be my guess. Don't ask me how I know.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We have the Onan 7500 QD and do that all the time!

With the Onan 7500 QD how do you tell it is running? Can't hear it? Do you have a indicator light or something? I have to pull over and stop so I can tell?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
With the Onan 7500 QD how do you tell it is running? Can't hear it? Do you have a indicator light or something? I have to pull over and stop so I can tell?
mine has a green light on the switch when it is running.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #39

Green light on most dash switches tell you that its running. You really have to read the owners manual on your coach since some will put the fuel pickup at the 1/4 tank level while others may place it at the 1/2 tank level so if you have less than 1/2 tank of fuel the fuel pump for the generator may not prime.

I do run mine while driving and its press stop until the primer light turns yellow and then switch it to start holding it until the indicator lamp in the switch goes solid green. This has been the norm for many years now.

A few times when I had trouble finding an open gas station I have run the fuel tank low enough that the generator cut out.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #40

Our generator requires at least 25% of diesel to start............
patbrown24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Can you start the generator while driving? Mine starts fine when parked but I was driving and tried to start it but nothing happened. A yellow light came on on the button when it was pushed like maybe that wasn't allowed.
The pickup tube for the generator is above 1/4 tank typically to prevent us from running out of fuel for the engine
m.donatelli6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.donatelli6 View Post
The pickup tube for the generator is above 1/4 tank typically to prevent us from running out of fuel for the engine
All you need is a consistently accurate fuel gauge (I don't have one) or be willing to do some math and know your mileage. If you ran your generator since your last fill up you probably have to do some guessing how much fuel it used. It's also important to know you were level while refueling so you know your tank was really full.
My generator usually dies of fuel starvation somewhere around a 1/2 tank on the gauge. Only once did it quit at 1/4 tank on the gauge. This last time it quit one needle width above 3/4 tank.🤬
It takes a full minute of priming to get a quick start once it dies of fuel starvation.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote