Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Starter Won't Engage

I changed the batteries in my 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and now the starter will not engage. Here is what I have found so far. If I jumper the small wire on the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but not start. When the start position is engaged there is no voltage at this terminal. Most of the dash lights come on, but not the "Wait to Start" or the pushbuttons for the Allison transmission shift selections. The fuel gauge does not operate either. Have checked all the fuses I can find and all appear good. Ignition relays "click" when key is turned on. I don't think it is an ignition switch problem. Kind of ran out of everything I can think of to try so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
bandmmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmmorris View Post
I changed the batteries in my 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and now the starter will not engage. Here is what I have found so far. If I jumper the small wire on the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but not start. When the start position is engaged there is no voltage at this terminal. Most of the dash lights come on, but not the "Wait to Start" or the pushbuttons for the Allison transmission shift selections. The fuel gauge does not operate either. Have checked all the fuses I can find and all appear good. Ignition relays "click" when key is turned on. I don't think it is an ignition switch problem. Kind of ran out of everything I can think of to try so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If it worked before you have a 99% chance batteries arenít hooked up right or got shorted out during installation.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

Check rear start panel. Even if set to front try to flip it a few times.
There is a wire to chassis battery about 10ga with inline fuse within 18" of batteries. Check fuse it's holder and connections and wire crimp.
Jiggle ignition switch.
Check ignition relay/solenoid in electrical bay. Might be able to bypass temporarily. That's what's on mine at a certain point/year I believe they changed to a smaller box with chassis relays and chassis fuses . Sorry I don't know at what year things changed.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #4

Check your ground wire for proper connection
Old 10-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #5

Are you jumping the connection on the starter with the ignition key in the " ON " position ?

If the engine cranks ; while jumping the starter ; with the key on , and it won't start , then you have perhaps two problems .
Old 10-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #6

Until the shift pad is active with the key on , you won't get started .

As Tha_Rooster says , wire off the battery or possible inline fuse to the trans ECU .
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If it worked before you have a 99% chance batteries arenít hooked up right or got shorted out during installation.
Could have arced a battery during installation.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmmorris View Post
Could have arced a battery during installation.
If you created an arc, there is possibly a dc breaker or fuse that is blown.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:11 PM   #9

I missed the just changed the batts intro. Agree with missing wire like one I mentioned or inline fuse holder was iffy and moving it opened up contacts.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:00 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assuming battery polarity never reversed, ON Many chassis, there are small plugin RELAYS on one of the FUSE PANELS, often one for FUEL PUMP, another for STARTER.... (suspicion) is that one of these is bad? Often several on board alike, so you can swap around and see if symptoms change/ move, verifying BAD RELAY** (often a $10-$15 part?) LUCK (** small contacts, often fail w/ age, should always be changed when STARTER/ FUEL PUMP/ OTHER SYSTEMS REPLACED or acting up/ intermittent **)
Old 10-24-2021, 03:55 AM   #11
YC1

This has all of the symptoms of a loose or dropped wire. A dropped wire is very common when batteries are changed and a reason that taking pictures before any maintenance like this is done.

There are a lot of connections along the way past the batteries, including the battery cutoff switch that might be bad.

You did not state why you changed the batteries.

I'm attaching a pre-heat panel diagram that might help you along the way.

Take a picture of your battery setup and get some voltage readings.

On my pre-heat panel (2008 Endeavor), there is a big breaker that could give you some issues but without digging deep I don't know for sure what the symptoms would be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alternator diagram and pre-heat.pdf (66.3 KB, 8 views)
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #12

Wiring matches my wiring diagram. Only cables on starting batteries are main positive and negative cables, charging wire to the chassis and coach battery banks and small ground wire from the charge controller. The starter solenoid has voltage on one of the main terminals which has to be coming from the battery. When I jumper the starting solenoid the engine turns over as the other terminal then has voltage. Just not getting voltage to the small wire on the solenoid when I turn the key to start.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #13

Starter Won't Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I have checked the wiring multiple times and believe it to be correct. There are 3 wires on the chassis batteries, 1 large red cable to positive terminal, 1 large black cable to negative terminal and smaller red wire to positive terminal with inline fuse that goes to the battery combiner. Would appreciate if anyone with a Monaco Camelot around 2007 vintage check and let me know if theirs is wired the same. The battery area is the only place I worked in.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #14

Starter Won't Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Check rear start panel. Even if set to front try to flip it a few times.
There is a wire to chassis battery about 10ga with inline fuse within 18" of batteries. Check fuse it's holder and connections and wire crimp.
Jiggle ignition switch.
Check ignition relay/solenoid in electrical bay. Might be able to bypass temporarily. That's what's on mine at a certain point/year I believe they changed to a smaller box with chassis relays and chassis fuses . Sorry I don't know at what year things changed.
The only small wire to the chassis battery is a red wire with inline fuse that goes to the battery combiner. There is power to the main cable on the starter solenoid and when I turn on the battery the ignition relays in the electrical bay "click" when the key is turned on which seems to indicate they are working.

Tags
starter