Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Don't try this at home!

Don't worry about lubrication, the oil these days clings like p**p to a blanket.
Case in point, we had a mechanic start a truck and build the air pressure up (1 to 1 1/2 minutes) after another mechanic had drained the oil out for an oil change.
After running it that long with NO oil pressure, we pulled the oil pan and changed the bearings, even though there was hardly any damage. Only a couple of shiny spots.
Modern oil is wonderful stuff! This was not syn. oil, just good of dino 15W40 Rotella.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
When it’s been around or below zero for awhile I do plug in the heater three or four hours earlier, if not overnight, just to be easier on things and start off with a bit warmer fluid. It will start without it, but just my way of being easier. When below 25 degrees or so I always turn on the key till the indicator goes off, turn off the key, then do it again. Even below zero it fires right up. Once running I follow the manual about idling and driving it easy at first.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #17

Someone mentioned earlier that the glow plugs assist in starting......I’m pretty sure these engines do not have glow plugs.

My manual says the wait to start light is the intake heater, so I’m assuming that means that it heats the air to assist in the starting.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
do you not have a "Wait to start" dash light to tell you when it's ok to start the engine ? just turn the key and watch the dash light works for us !

I've started ours in the tens without any assistance from the engine heater or aqua hot... the glow plugs WILL do it for you, but obviously if you preheat by plugging in the engine block heater or running the aqua hot, it will start OUT warmer

good luck...

and, oh yeah, when you start it, just drive off easy and that's the best way to warm everything up - less idling - better for your rv and your neighbors
Modern diesels don't have glow plugs, they have a heater grid in the intake, which is why you don't use starting fluid in them
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Modern diesels don't have glow plugs, they have a heater grid in the intake, which is why you don't use starting fluid in them
Modern diesel generator engines, and I'm sure other diesel engines, still use glow plugs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #20

Starting a Cold-Soaked Cummings ISL 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
who cares .........everyone knows what the OP was asking ......

Clessie Cummins, the guy who founded the company, might care a little.

Would you be OK with us calling you Palehearse?
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
The OP engine doesn't have glow plugs...it's a air intake grid type heater.

There's some light duty engines that may still use them, like a pick-up, but no big bore on highway engine does.

But no engine deserves death by either.

@ -4, The OP probably has more to worry about gelled diesel fuel than engine oil
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #22

So there have been a few threads this week on ether / starting fluid in modern diesels with grid heaters.

I get the issue.

Is there another way on these engines to quickly isolate a lack of fuel problem?
Like...spray in a small amount of diesel fluid into the intake? Or would that mess with the heaters as well as they normally never see fuel?

Just putting the info into brain cells for a future possible need.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Is there another way on these engines to quickly isolate a lack of fuel problem?
Like...spray in a small amount of diesel fluid into the intake? Or would that mess with the heaters as well as they normally never see fuel?
Read the manual. Mine says not to use starting spray. Mine says it will crank the engine for thirty seconds and then stop if the engine hasn't started.

My guess is that the high pressure fuel pumps will get fuel to the engine for starting even if it has been a long time since the engine was started. If the fuel pump needs to be primed, the procedure should be in the owner's manual.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #24

As someone mentioned already you may have issues with gelling of your diesel if your fuel is from summertime it's going to be a very legitimate issue you need to treat your diesel before you try and start it there are many products available at Walmart personally on our semi I use diesel Kleen in the white bottle and if you are actually taking a trip somewhere you need to make sure the places you are fueling are using winter diesel which is good for - 20 any of the managers should be able to answer the question as to whether or not they are using winter diesel and although idling excessively isnt recommended I would certainly let it run for a while before I tried to drive it to get the anti gel fluid through the entire fuel system because the area that they gel is in the fuel filter and it will leave you on the side of the road
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #25

Familiar with the Normal Starting procedure...the question was more about diagnosis tips and tricks for when things don't go according to plan. ie: how to isolate "it's not getting any fuel to the cylinders".

crack a fuel injector line to check for pressure?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Familiar with the Normal Starting procedure...the question was more about diagnosis tips and tricks for when things don't go according to plan. ie: how to isolate "it's not getting any fuel to the cylinders".

crack a fuel injector line to check for pressure?
Sounds like a perfect question for Google
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
Sounds like a perfect question for Google
Depending how new your engine is some of the fuel system components can be under 30,000 psi so no cracking a line would not be a good idea
Old 01-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, at 30K PSI, you need a mechanic unless you know exactly what you are doing. Very high pressures and tiny little tolerances, expensive seals and even more expensive plastic parts. This is not something I'm gonna go messing with, but you can do what you like to your rig and let us know how it goes.