Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a tip - Slow Down! We recently came across the 5 from Mt. Shasta to Portland Oregon. Since I generally don't go over 60, I expect to get passed, no problem. There are quite a few 6% downhill runs between Shasta and Portland, and I'm in the right hand lane, underdrive on, going down at the posted truck speed limit. I can't tell you how many RV's have blown past me. I don't see how they keep all of their dishes in the cabinets. It seems like they drive their RVs like they are driving a car. Crazy!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tnedator" brought up a couple of good points about hugging the white line. I have a third which is my biggest concern. If you do a survey, the majority of RV flats are on the right side of the coach. As broken parts fall off of RV's trucks and cars, they eventually get pushed to the side of the road, to an area least driven.....the white line. Hugging that white line greatly increases your chances of picking up debris in your right side tires. Just look at any intersection…..there is always a spot in the middle where the left turning cars don't travel. It will be loaded with road debris and gravel.

Hugging a left yellow lane is just as dangerous if it's a one lane road.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll repeat the Quote "Things that lead to accidents happen real slow. Accidents happen real fast."
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Hugging a left yellow lane is just as dangerous if it's a one lane road.
Gotta ask Don, if it is a one lane road, what is the problem? There won't be anyone coming toward you.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stay On Your Side of the Yellow Lines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tnedator" brought up a couple of good points about hugging the white line. I have a third which is my biggest concern. If you do a survey, the majority of RV flats are on the right side......
These are three excellent points, and I’ll add another. I also teach the use of the left side line as your alignment reference.
1. It is the most reliable and readily available guideline to help keep your vehicle properly and consistently located within the lane. The entire lane is yours, so use it. The left edge line- be it dashed white or yellow- is right there, almost directly in front of you. It is very easy to sight along this line for a long distance, sometimes even 1/4 to 1/2 mile on Interstates, thus giving your eye and brain a very shallow reference angle to detect and correct any deviation from a centered position without weaving within the lane. Lane weaving results from trying to use a reference point beside or too close in front of the vehicle itself.
2. The lane you’re in will likely be 10 ft wide in towns or on older, small county roads, or 12 ft wide on most US or Interstate highways. Someone driving an 8-1/2 ft coach down a 10 ft lane with mailboxes alongside, or the odd pickup pulled off the side, will understandably be concerned about clearance. But if you try to judge and adjust that clearance by glancing sideways at the edge every few seconds you will find yourself constantly making abrupt corrections and weaving in the lane.
Better to acknowledge two realities: your bus will remain 8-1/2 feet wide whether you’re looking at the curb or not, and the road will remain 10 ft wide in the same conditions. Easier, safer, and far less stressful to use the left side lane boundary as your guide. A longer view gives a steadier position, snug right over close to the line on your left, and you know you’ll have 12” to 18” of clearance on your right. A mere few degrees of eye shift will alert you to anything sticking into the road 100 yds ahead. No head turning required.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Gotta ask Don, if it is a one lane road, what is the problem? There won't be anyone coming toward you.
My statement was in regards to picking up debris on the yellow lines of a one lane road, not driving over them..
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
The drivers just making a straight line out of a curved rd where it’s safe.
Just calm down..
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What's wrong with staying in the center of the lane your'e in, and not have to hug either line? I do a lot of mountain driving on the west coast an I'll admit I've had to go over the yellow line on some sharp turns. However I always slow down and make sure there is no on-coming traffic. If I cross over the yellow line anything that happens is my fault.

There are roads such as Hwy 1 along the coast that I know I can't consistently say in my lane so I stay off off those roads.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
And as long as he is on his side when he passes someone, no harm is done. Does no one on here ever cross the yellow line. Just make sure your on your side when you meet and pass someone. I have been on roads that a wide body would have one side on the white and the other on the yellow.
Kinda wondering myself, what the big deal here is.

Was the guy in the photo still across the line when he passed? If not, what's the problem? To me, this is almost the same as passing a slower moving vehicle that's in front of you. If it's safe to do so, then cross the line and do it.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As part of my CDL I had to back 200' within parallel lines, back up to a loading dock and parallel park. Am I likely to do any of things with my MH? No, but backing into a campsite has a lot of similarity with these maneuvers. Why is there something wrong with how to learn how to handle your RV? Heaven forbid that an RVer actually has to demonstrate that he knows how to drive his rig.
For my "D" class in Ontario I had to take the same written and driving test as any commercial truck driver as I can drive anything over 11000KG (just over 24000 lbs). There is no non-commercial version.

I remember the examiner asked me to back up at least 100 feet then between some concrete poles. I got out and looked at the route and then I did what I was taught to do in the army.

I asked her to get out and guide me and she did. Passed with flying colors - she also mentioned that I was one of the few who asked and others had failed with her sitting in the front and didn't ask.

Of course in the army the examiner would say "pretend I'm not here" and then you better do your walk around before backing - automatic fail otherwise.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #39
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As part of my CDL I had to back 200' within parallel lines, back up to a loading dock and parallel park. Am I likely to do any of things with my MH? No, but backing into a campsite has a lot of similarity with these maneuvers. Why is there something wrong with how to learn how to handle your RV? Heaven forbid that an RVer actually has to demonstrate that he knows how to drive his rig.
In my younger years, I drove a dump truck and would have to back up a mile or two in the dark on windy roads. Sure comes in handy now backing up the old RV. Have always backed up with mirrors, even parking a van
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Best advice I got out of this thread is "slow down". Aren't we suppose to be having fun, not making a nervous wreck out of things.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #41

Some time physics play a role. I've had my 33ft 5ver about 6 inches from the side of the mountain. Tractor trailers use the same road.

But I'm definitely not speeding.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
It’s not clear how much shoulder is on the road in the photo the OP posted, but I’ve driven some roads where the white line is on the very edge of the pavement. I will definitely cross the yellow line as one moment of inattention could result in disaster. However, I’ll get back on my side on blind corners or when traffic approaches.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote