Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Pretty sure they have a phone. Might give that a try.
Now that's funny! Oh, but I think you're probably right about the phone.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Tom Sawyers is nice...but they've raised their rates....again.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
We stayed at the state park in Memphis about 16 months ago. Every house that we drove by to get to the park had security bars on all the doors and windows. I think that says something about the crime in the area. I wouldn’t be overnighting it in a parking lot in Memphis. Even at the state park I made sure the outside steps were always retracted when we went to bed at night.
Don't know what state park you stayed at but if it was TO Fuller my hat's off to you. I'd probably feel safer in downtown Beirut, Lebanon. I wouldn't spend the night in the Memphis Bass Pro parking lot if they paid me $50 a night.

If I had to stay in Memphis I'd probably head the Graceland RV park but I'd not leave the park and I'd sleep with one eye open there too.

I lived in Memphis for over 50 years and moved out within 30 days of retirement.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
A brother lived south of Memphis in MS. I stayed at a COE park not far south of Memphis and it is GREAT! Think this is the name: Arkabutla Lake, MS, on the Coldwater River
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #19

Thumbs down camping in Memp.

I lived there 34yrs. Retired and left to ft for 16 yrs. Can varify the previous coments about Memp. crime very dangerous if you are not aware of location. 28 of 34 yrs in law enforcement.
arkslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #20

Lol Ever notice the area one has to drive thru to get to Tom Sawyer? Once in there no way out but thru the rougher part of town or so it looks. Can’t see much difference than around the Bass Pro.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #21

We stayed at TO Fuller SP. Not the best, but it was OK and we felt safe enough. The camp host there said they have very few problems.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Don't know what state park you stayed at but if it was TO Fuller my hat's off to you. I'd probably feel safer in downtown Beirut, Lebanon. I wouldn't spend the night in the Memphis Bass Pro parking lot if they paid me $50 a night.

If I had to stay in Memphis I'd probably head the Graceland RV park but I'd not leave the park and I'd sleep with one eye open there too.

I lived in Memphis for over 50 years and moved out within 30 days of retirement.

It was TO Fuller state park. It was our first time in Memphis and didn’t know any better. It was definitely the roughest looking place that we stayed at on our 8,000 mile trip from Alberta to Florida and back. We certainly won’t be going back to Memphis any time soon. There was a van that parked in the parking lot every night we stayed and it was there all night with someone in it. We assumed it was security. And as far as Graceland goes it was just a money grab. We only stayed two nights which was two nights to many.
It was the only place that I’ve ever visited that every house we saw had bars on the windows and doors and I mean every house.
Live and learn guess. Thankfully nothing happened to us.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
It was TO Fuller state park. It was our first time in Memphis and didn’t know any better. It was definitely the roughest looking place that we stayed at on our 8,000 mile trip from Alberta to Florida and back. We certainly won’t be going back to Memphis any time soon. There was a van that parked in the parking lot every night we stayed and it was there all night with someone in it. We assumed it was security. And as far as Graceland goes it was just a money grab. We only stayed two nights which was two nights to many.
It was the only place that I’ve ever visited that every house we saw had bars on the windows and doors and I mean every house.
Live and learn guess. Thankfully nothing happened to us.
You definitely saw the better parts of Memphrica. Gotta go - I'm interviewing for a new job today as a tailgunner on a beer truck.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
WDW

Gosh we were planning to go there this summer. You guys are really turning me off. How was the parks in Southhaven?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #25

<---- in the Memphis area too.

Another choice would be the Agri-Center RV Park in East Memphis (19 miles from Bass Pro). It's near the corner of Walnut Grove and Germantown Parkway (also has a Farmer's Market). If you go, enter on the Germantown Parkway side. The tree branches are very low at the Walnut Grove entrance.

Once at the park, you can head to downtown straight out Walnut Grove that turns into Union Ave. Take Union to Front street and make a right. The Bass Pro will be on the left after you drive under the Convention Center over pass.

Like any big city, you just have to keep aware of your surroundings. We get many, many tourists that have a wonderful time visiting the city and taking in the culture. Anything can happen anywhere.

The Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis, AR, floods just about every year. The Mississippi River is rising now and probably will affect the park soon. I tried to stay there recently as a 'dump/fresh water' stop before storage and their water was cutoff so I went to the Agri-Center for a night.

WDW, the EZ Daze RV park in Southaven is very nice and is about 19.5 miles to the Bass Pro. Easy interstate drive to downtown Memphis.
Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Gosh we were planning to go there this summer. You guys are really turning me off. How was the parks in Southhaven?
Southaven is nice. No problems there of which I am aware. EZ Daze is located behind Southaven RV. There is also Jellystone; have not seen it but feel it would be fine as well.
jt
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
You'll be fine. As others have mentioned, just be aware of your surroundings and don't venture out into neighborhoods by yourself. Common sense should work. Bass Pro is a definite place to see. As is Graceland. Beale Street is interesting. I just would not plan on overnighting in the Bass Pro parking lot.
jt
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Pretty sure they have a phone. Might give that a try.
Defeats the poupose of a forum....
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote