Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 AM   #1

Staying cool while overnighting

Scared to run Generator,,,,fumes you know.. How does anyone stay cool while it is very HOT even at night. We have tried to open windows in bedroom and turn on vent fan to draw air in through windows, put fan blowing on us using inverter,,,,but man it is still warm and uncomfortable...sweating all night.. I guess most will say use a Genturi,,,I don't have yet,,,,I do not mind at all using Generator all night,,,,just wonder if one of my built in detectors in side my MH will go off if fumes are detected inside my coach? Would be bad to go to sleep, and this sleep would be for KEEPS !!!!

Suggestions

Thanks,

Dennis

Diesel Pusher by the way, generator also....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Scared to run Generator,,,,fumes you know.. How does anyone stay cool while it is very HOT even at night. We have tried to open windows in bedroom and turn on vent fan to draw air in through windows, put fan blowing on us using inverter,,,,but man it is still warm and uncomfortable...sweating all night.. I guess most will say use a Genturi,,,I don't have yet,,,,I do not mind at all using Generator all night,,,,just wonder if one of my built in detectors in side my MH will go off if fumes are detected inside my coach? Would be bad to go to sleep, and this sleep would be for KEEPS !!!!

Suggestions

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis, run your generator and your AC units and stay cool! You are way over thinking this............depending on what kind of detector was factory installed.............CO and smoke? Yes , it will protect you, just like in your house.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Dennis, run your generator and your AC units and stay cool! You are way over thinking this............
Thanks for quick response,,,but you have left out parts that kind of worry

the DW and myself too......Fumes,,,the deadly type,,,,easing inside somehow !!

Any stats on things going deadly doing this???Thought I have read here on the forum not to do.....

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Dennis, run your generator and your AC units and stay cool! You are way over thinking this............depending on what kind of detector was factory installed.............CO and smoke? Yes , it will protect you, just like in your house.

We're talking 'CARBON MONOXIDE' poisoning......

and yes,,,I doooo have a tendency to overthink,,,have made it this far !!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
We're talking 'CARBON MONOXIDE' poisoning......
Buy and install additional detector's for you safety, I have one in the living area and one in the bedroom.
https://www.amazon.com/smoke-and-car...8&node=3753361
Old 07-28-2016, 04:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Buy and install additional detector's for you safety, I have one in the living area and one in the bedroom.
https://www.amazon.com/smoke-and-car...8&node=3753361
Thanks,,,cool link and detectors.... So I suppose you are saying in a round about way, that actually we DO need to do something to protect us while running generator all night....So question again,,,,,is it OK to run Gen. without these detectors you have installed,,,,taking a big chance if not installed,,,or what???

Not being cantankerous, just really want to know for a out and out fact !!!!

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 AM   #7

If your generator exhaust system is in good condition, and the windows are closed, there should be nearly no chance of exhaust fumes entering the motorhome. A Genturi is really a courtesy for your neighbors, but diverting the exhaust up above your roof decreases the chances of fumes entering your motorhome too. Still, with the right wind conditions, and neighbors also running generators, anything, however unlikely, is possible. One entry path for generator exhaust that I haven't seen mentioned is the fresh air vent in the dash HVAC distribution system. If you have a front generator, they share the same compartment. In this configuration, with the right wind conditions, a generator exhaust leak could be a serious problem. I keep my dash AC in recirculate mode unless windshield de-fogging requires fresh air, but it's not an air-tight seal. The primary reason for the CO detector in the coach is the propane appliances, but CO from any source will trigger it. Diesel exhaust tends to be pretty stinky, so you might smell it before the CO detector alerts you.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 AM   #8

It's done all the time without extra detectors installed. the camper/motorhome is made to be used the way it comes from the factory.

If you have any fumes that may be blown back by the wind into an open window or door, you will smell it and do something about it before it becomes a problem.

I've never heard of anyone being overcome and dying in their sleep while running the generator at night.

Remember, your coach is outside in the open, where the fumes are free to dissipate, not closed up in a garage, or other shelter.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have never, ever, worried about that...
heck, you could worry about 100 more likely occurrences and never go camping

Those detectors are so sensitive that hair spray sets them off - so don't worry, be sleepy (and stop sweating).

You could always go to a campground and just plug in !
Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you will be OK to run the generator at night. The coach builder installed a smoke detector for fires, a propane detector for leaks and a CO detector for engine exhaust fumes. You can add additional detectors for peace of mind and its a good idea to replace detectors that are several years old.

Were campers have gotten into trouble is when they run portable generators exhausting under the coach or trailer. Your installed generator is made to push the fumes away from the coach into what should be an open area where the CO will dissipate. If you're parked in a confined area where the fumes could be deflected back towards the coach you could have problems. Think of people in cars stranded in the snow and they run the engine to stay warm. Snow falling around the car and building up over time and deflect fumes back under the car which is why you need to keep the tail pipe clear to prevent poisoning.

The other problem you will read about is when coaches are closely spaced at events, such as the infield at a NASCAR race, without shore services. Running your generator in such a situation will push the exhaust under your neighbor's coach and a Genturi is mandatory.

CO is slightly lighter than air and will slowly rise. When warm, as with an engine exhaust, it will rise a bit faster faster which will help to dissipate. Any kind of breeze will disperse the fumes even more.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #11

I'm ready replies,,,,picking and choosing the nice polite and helpful
responses from the more on the "you are dumb butt" responses.. This is why I love the forum,,,,it's like everyone has their opinion,,,,some are just
nicer about how to relate it back to you than some others.....

Hey,,,I can handle the flames and the polite honest helpful responses,,,I can cypher quite well...

Thanks !!!!

Dennis
Old 07-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Since your MN is rather new your detector "should" be operating properly. Carbon monoxide is "odorless! I have disagreed with others before on this topic, but I refuse to run my generator while sleeping. In our MH it's located below the bedroom. JMHO

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also, your A/C units are pushing air into a closed box, which is creating positive pressure inside, that positive pressure should overcome any fumes trying to enter the coach living area through cracks, if you are that concerned set the fans to low or high rather than auto.
I will also point my exhaust so its not pointing into the wind and use the wind to help push it away from us. I have heard of more people dying from accidently opening a gas valve on the stove or a propane leak then dying from a properly maintained/factory installed generator exhaust. Enjoy your coach and all it has to offer.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Good thread.

I think the roof AC is merely recirculating inside air and will not create a positive pressure in the coach. Also, different wind conditions will affect the generator exhaust differently. Most every generator exhaust I have seen terminates just at the edge of the coach below the floor. It is not at all unlikely that some wind conditions will blow the fumes underneath the coach. If you have any imperfections in the seal between the bottom of your coach and the living area, it is possible that fumes could enter there. Or they could enter through the dash AC, an unsealed or partially opened window or whatever.

Although these scenarios are unlikely, the consequence of being wrong is the death penalty! This is why I will be investing 30 bucks for another CO detector to use in the bedroom.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote