Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #1

Steer and drive tire

Just bought a used thor palazzo. The tires are 7 yes old. I am having all my tires replaced. My shop recommends sumitomo tires steers on the front and drive for the rear. Any advantage/disadvantage of the two tire from your experienc. And how about sumitomo tires any input are appreciated. This is my 1st MH

2013 Thor motor palazzo 33.2
2018 Chev Colorado
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #2

….don't know anything about "Sumitomo" tires but do like Bridgestone and Toyo, less excited about Michelin and Continental, would never use Goodyear....you can use "steer" tires in any position....these tires often have special edge designs to help with wear issues and handling...they tend to cost a bit more and may often be directionally mounted so harder to rotate but most medium to large RV owners don't rotate tires--for a variety of reasons.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
For what it's worth, I'm pricing tires for my rig now also. Most everyone around here is quoting Toyo brand, but one is quoting Sumitomo for a bit less than everyone else has the Toyos for.
When I asked him about them he said that's what he runs on all his personal vehicles and work trucks, and also put them on dad-in-law's RV, as well as having put them on other RVs for his customers.
He said he primarily uses them because of the cost ($20 less HIS cost than the Toyo in my size tire), but that he's never had any complaints from customers about the tires, and that they work just fine on his personal and work vehicles.
Now I don't know this guy, and for all I know that's what he says about every brand of tire he sells, when questioned. But I don't have the impression that he's just blowing smoke my way. It's not like he can't get the Toyos, just that he prefers the Sumitomos.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #4

I looked at the Toyota spec and the sumitomo spec . Load wise at 120 psi >5500 single, >5047 dual. Load range H for both 16ply. Toyo max speed 75 sumitomo 82, not that I will be going more than 65
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….don't know anything about "Sumitomo" tires but do like Bridgestone and Toyo, less excited about Michelin and Continental, would never use Goodyear....you can use "steer" tires in any position....these tires often have special edge designs to help with wear issues and handling...they tend to cost a bit more and may often be directionally mounted so harder to rotate but most medium to large RV owners don't rotate tires--for a variety of reasons.
I agree with all this and would like to add that when buying tires it's my opinion that you want to run with the herd on this one because if something happens to one of your tires in the future and say you're sitting on the road waiting for assistance, you don't want to have road assistance looking for an odd tire brand that's hard to find to bring to you. You want a tire brand that is easily accessible and common. This will uncomplicate your life in an event such as this.

And since this is your first MH, be sure you learn up on how to properly weigh your MH and inflate these new tires properly with the correct PSI. This is a subject all unto itself.

I also know nothing about Sumitomo tires. We run Toyo's.

Here are some other threads that talked about Sumitomo tires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sumi...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I see no advantage at all in using separate steer and drive tires on a motorhome. "Drive" tires are optimized for best traction but in doing so become unsuitable for steering. They are too stiff to flex adequately in turns. That means you couldn't ever switch a drive axle tire to the steer axle if that need ever arose. Steer tires, however, are actually "all-position", meaning suitable for either drive or steer axles.

Over-the-road trucks sometimes use drive tires to optimize traction and wear. They may use a couple sets of drive axle tires per year and gaining even a small advantage is a savings for them. In your motorhome, which you generally drive only in mild weather anyway, the set of tires is probably going to age out long before optimized wear and traction ever become a consideration. My advice is to go with all-position tires on all axles.

Sumitomo is an excellent brand with a solid reputation in the USA and internationally. Toyo is another to good choice, as is Hankook. They all deliver excellent quality at very reasonable prices.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #7

I put 6 "steer" tires on mine. I wouldn't split them up. The rig drives great
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

I definitely would use steers on the front (they will be labeled "steer" ) You apply your own reasons to the brand choice. The drive tires should all be the same brand and that is about it. If you have a blowout just tell them to bring an exact replacement if they can, if not bring any used tire sized right as that will be okay for a couple days until you can get the exact tire replacement you need.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

Commercial Member

"Drive" tires will also deliver worse fuel economy than a "Steer" from the same company in the same size & L.R.

If you have a spare I suggest you get a well worn steer tire. Have it completely inspected by a tire company store, not just an independent dealer. You can store the spare (maybe) in your basement unmounted. This will give you a bunch of storage space for those items you carry but almost never use/need.
This low cost spare could save you hundreds if you ever need a spare while on the road.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #10

Two years ago bought 6 - Yokohama 255/70R22.5 RY023 16 ply on line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Home-...item3cfe8bedee

At the time the new to me MH had 10 year old Yokohama on the back and five year old tires on the front.

I suppose one reason to have different tires on the back is too get more use on them because the risk of a serious accident is less with a blow out on back.

I had a blow out on the drive tires tires on my first MH shortly after I got it.

The lesson learned as a new RV owner is to pay a lot attention to your tires.

The second time I bought tires I found the internet option gave me a lot more options and information that just going to a local dealer.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #11

Before you spend money, check out Sailun commercial truck tires.
Two years ago I had 6, S637, 275/70R22.5, LR H tires(all-position) put on our MH for a total of $1.280, including all taxes. I noticed they have gone up since my purchase.(they are more popular today IMO)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote