Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Steer Safe Stabilizers

I have a Fleetwood Excursion with a Spartan MM Chassis, and looking to put the Steer Safe System on it. Has anyone put the steer safe stabilizers on and do they work?
dblacksten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #2

Yes, I have one and it helped a lot. Also gives me some piece of mind.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I installed Steer Safe stabilizers on a couple of years ago. It's a good product, it works as advertised. I highly recommend the product.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several products that accomplish the same thing, however, I chose the Steer Safe and am more than pleased with it. It has the ability to be adjusted to provide assist with centering your steering during normal driving as well as during a blowout or rough road conditions.

It's easy to install and simple to understand. I've had it on for the last two trips and wouldn't be without it.

BTW - I traveled the same roads (Interstates in Ohio) that provided me with a very dangerous and harrowing experience prior to installing the Steer Safe.

I'm a believer. I hear that the Safety Steer is a great product as well.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I guess whether it "works" depends on what you expect it to do. It would be unusual for a Spartan MM to have any steering issues, and I doubt if a Steer Safe would improve it if it does. If you are looking for some additonal protection in blowout situations or low shoulders or curbs, then yes it should work. I remain very skeptical about the rest of their claims (help with wandering, high winds, etc.), especially with your chassis.

Are you having steering problems? If so, fix the root cause and rather than band-aiding the symptoms.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I guess whether it "works" depends on what you expect it to do. It would be unusual for a Spartan MM to have any steering issues, and I doubt if a Steer Safe would improve it if it does. If you are looking for some additional protection in blowout situations or low shoulders or curbs, then yes it should work. I remain very skeptical about the rest of their claims (help with wandering, high winds, etc.), especially with your chassis.

Are you having steering problems? If so, fix the root cause and rather than band-aiding the symptoms.

I'm skeptical as well. My motor home drives very well down the road and tracks well. Very easy to keep centered in my lane. Even in wind I don't have much of an issue with drift. For routine driving I'm more apt to believe a good alignment will solve tracking / drift issues. As above it should help with blowout, pot holes, running onto the shoulder situations.

Now with all that said I've never used the product so I may not know what I'm missing.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

I put it on my 91 and glad it did.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #8

I installed it on my 02 Bounder would not leave home with out it.
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #9

Worth the money. That and a rear track bar made a huge difference.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We had it on our gas MH and it stopped the wind problems from the trucks passing us, also stopped needing to correct as much. I would like to have it on this coach for the blowout safety factor but DH doesn't want to put one on.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
My coach handles very well but would tend to track a little in deep ruts. I installed the Steer Safe units and noticed a marked improvement. Absolutely no effect from passing rigs or cross winds even though that was never really an issue prior to Steer Safe. If you are having serious handling issues, I'd have the steering axle geometry checked and install a Steer Safe system. It also offers good steer axle blowout protection by keeping the wheels straight.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the F53 chassis, not the Spartan, but Steer Safe along with the sway bar mod makes for a very stable ride. I rented a 2007 Pace Arrow a couple of years ago and my 2001 Bounder handles better with these changes.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote