Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Steerable Tag Axle

What manufacturers beside Newmar use this??

Obviously would like to know how well it works,
especially in tight parks.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #2

I believe the Spartan steerable tag chassis will be available on 2017 Entegra Coaches.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner has one for their high end motorhome chassis, the ZF UltraSeer system, which comes as either a passive steer model or active tag steering assist (don't ask me to explain - Google it yourslef). The top end American Coach models have it, e.g. American Eagle, and the bigger Monacos too..

XB Tag Suspension | Freightliner Chassis Bus
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Newell has one.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago has it on some of their high end units too.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
How about a report from owners of these coaches. Please describe the benefits and not juust the hardware. Does it really make a difference? Low speed maneuvering only or at all speeds? How significant is it?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

Not an owner, but test reports from articles I've read indicate at the ver least you get much less tire scrubbing! I think Active vs Passive could have a bearing on how much extra help is provided in maneuvering. But all articles I've read on steerable tags indicated a bonus in maneuvering.

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

My son replaced his 2015 Mountain Aire with a new 2016 MA. He wanted the level slideout floor, the escape door and the passive steering. He says he can tell the difference when turning. The coach just seems to flow around a tight turn rather than dragging around it. He is happy with that feature. Now if Newmar can fix the "Many" other problems it has, he'll be a happy camper.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
How about a report from owners of these coaches. Please describe the benefits and not juust the hardware. Does it really make a difference? Low speed maneuvering only or at all speeds? How significant is it?
Hi Marc,

We have the steerable tag in a "loaner" Newell and we have noticed a difference in tight campgrounds that weren't built for 45' coaches. We've only been in and out of a dozen or so campgrounds so far but the biggest benefit we've seen is that we were able to leave the Toad hooked up for overnight stays where in the past we may have had to unhook in order to get in and out of the park. So it seems like it's a nice to have feature but not a must have.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Forest River has also added the passive steerable tag to their new 43 foot Berkshire and Charleston models. It seems like the entire industry will be headed this way for all tag models in the not too distant future.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #11

Well,
I don't have experience with a steerable tag, I do have it with BOTH REAR AXLE STEERING on a Fire Truck. One of our ladder trucks was 42' long and had a 105' aerial ladder on it. That truck came with what's called " All-Steer". It was a $20,000 option that we (the FD) thought we'd try for a truck that was to be used in tight city/driving areas. Yes, both rear axles did steer if and when you wanted and needed it. And, that steering was selectable in that, you could steer the rear wheels in the same direction as the front axle was pointed or, you could "counter steer" the rear axles in the opposite direction, for other advantages.

Talk about maneuverability, WOW! I could turn that truck, completely around, as in a 360 degree u-turn, in some of our smallest intersections. Now, that's just an example of it's capability. In other situations, I could "crab-walk" it away from curbs or, in a fire ground situation where things were ultra-tight in maneuverability requirements. You could literally walk that truck sideways (at a 45 degree angle) if needed. We only purchased one of these trucks outfitted with this rear-steering setup, due to cost.

The rear steering was only available at less than 3 miles an hour. After that, the computer took over and shut down that system and straightened up the rear axles and locked them. That was one fun truck to drive and operate.

Now, I always said if I was rich, like many of the country singers and all those that can afford to have seriously nice, custom built coaches, THAT'S WHAT I'D HAVE INSTALLED!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Steerable tags have been used on European passenger coaches for years. I like the idea of putting them on USDM motor coaches. Not sure if the system/manufacturer is the same for both industries; would be great if it were - tried and tested.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
What manufacturers beside Newmar use this??

Obviously would like to know how well it works,
especially in tight parks.

Steerable (passive or active) has become the latest bullet point desired by the marketing department because the competition has it (or doesn't have it yet). The previous item in this category was IFS. Also way over hyped in large heavy vehicles.

This steerable tag adds complexity and weakness to a pretty bulletproof component. The old system of unloading or raising the tag worked well. If you have ever worn out your tag tires prematurely because of scrub then you should go for this.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hi Marc,

We've only been in and out of a dozen or so campgrounds so far but the biggest benefit we've seen is that we were able to leave the Toad hooked up for overnight stays where in the past we may have had to unhook in order to get in and out of the park. So it seems like it's a nice to have feature but not a must have.
Not sure I understand this statement. Our coach is 1" shy of being 44' long and our toad, while not a large vehicle, follows within the coach's tracks easily. I have no problems with the toad in tight corners. I would suspect those with a trailer, or even a dolly/auto might have to take it into consideration.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote