Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Steering Control

I am new to Class A's and they seem like such huge beasts that it would be easy to get into trouble with one if there was a blowout. I have been researching steering control units and have spoken with the folks at Safe T Plus about which unit I would need for my 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP on a Power Glide chassis. They told me I would need the yellow unit 42-270, and the ZF-1003K2.5 installation kit. I'm not handy and do not intend to do the installation myself, if I do go ahead and order it. Just checking to see what kind of experiences others have had with the same system and if company is reputable. Does it really help in real life with a blowout, albeit the videos look quite convincing, and when else have you found it beneficial? I haven't found the Bus to be difficult to drive, and don''t really feel semi's or anything when they pass me. It isn't practical for me to drive to Georgia to have this installed at Safe T Plus. Would it be better to have tire shop install the system or my RV dealer? I can't do it myself. Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #2

IMO what you need is a device that works like the human brain, whereby if something is attempting to steer the motorhome in the wrong direction, the device will use the power steering to instantly steer in the opposite direction at just the correct angle such that it will keep the motorhome in its lane. I'm serious,....except there's no such device on the market. I know that it's been proved many times that the human driver can do this just fine, by properly using ONLY the steering wheel. Disclaimer: If the cruise control does not drop out with the vibration of the blowout tire, he should know the two ways to instantly shut it off. Also, I believe that there's only one device that uses the power steering, it's the Comfort Control by TRW
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

We bought the Safe-T-Plus primarily for the increased handling during a tire blowout situation but have found it is very effective at reducing steering corrections needed on uneven or crowned pavement.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I was told by a long time big rig mechanic that if you have a big heavy Class A, all those steering assist systems are not necessary. As long as your OEM power steering is operating, that all that is necessary.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #5

From what I have seen people swear by them or say they are not required. I would make certain you steering components are adjusted and checked before you invest in that. I don't know of many RV shops I would trust to install it. I would either seek out a competent heavy duty truck repair center or make the trip to Georgia and have the facory install it.

John
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Most of these add-on devices utilize 2 horizontal coil springs which are slightly pre-loaded, and adjusted, such that they help hold the two steer tires pointing straight ahead. In mathematical sets, you would call this setting the null set, or "empty set". Or, you could call it the neutral adjustment. Whenever there is a steering input, from the bottom (the tie rods), or from the top (the steering wheel shaft),.... it causes one of the device springs to compress, thereby causing a small resistance to the steering input. NOTE: the steering input which is brought about by the added rolling resistance of a failed tire is one that will come through the tie rods. IMO the device spring is not strong enough to defeat the steering input from the bottom (the tie rods). Be aware, that a steering input from below will NOT bring in the POWER STEERING. Only the turning of the steering wheel shaft will bring in the power steering. That's the way power steerings are designed. That's the reason why the Comfort Control system has an electric actuator that actually turns the steering wheel shaft. As far as I know, the only way to safely handle a front steer tire blowout is to have a driver who does NOT hesitate to keep working the steering wheel as needed in order to stay in his lane. The steering system is the only feature in the motorhome which is designed for STEERING!
The accelerator pedal and the brake pedal are designed for something else.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
I am new to Class A's and they seem like such huge beasts that it would be easy to get into trouble with one if there was a blowout. I have been researching steering control units and have spoken with the folks at Safe T Plus about which unit I would need for my 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP on a Power Glide chassis. They told me I would need the yellow unit 42-270, and the ZF-1003K2.5 installation kit. I'm not handy and do not intend to do the installation myself, if I do go ahead and order it. Just checking to see what kind of experiences others have had with the same system and if company is reputable. Does it really help in real life with a blowout, albeit the videos look quite convincing, and when else have you found it beneficial? I haven't found the Bus to be difficult to drive, and don''t really feel semi's or anything when they pass me. It isn't practical for me to drive to Georgia to have this installed at Safe T Plus. Would it be better to have tire shop install the system or my RV dealer? I can't do it myself. Thanks for your help.
One item that many people have used are Rettrobands from NIRVC. Here is a link for your review. They are not cheap, but you purchase them once. If you get a blowout, they are replaced at no charge.
The damage a blowout can do to a coach could be in the thousands and the Rettrobands could pay for themselves on the first blowout.

https://rvbusiness.com/videos/nirvc-...es-rettroband/

Best

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering