RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Steering gearbox noise

We have a 2003 Phaeton on a freightliner XC chassis. While turning the steering wheel, I can feel and hear a whine and pulsating noise coming from my steering gearbox under the drivers seat. With the engine running, I had a buddy turn the steering wheel left to right while my hand was on the side of the gearbox. I couldnít really feel anything abnormal but you can definitely hear a high pitch pulsating noise coming from it and into the coach as well.
Iíve installed a safe t plus, new bushings and a super steer belcrank, which has helped a little bit the noise is still there. Steers straight and rides great, but the noise and the pulsating in the steering wheel just bugs the you know what out of me. It happens only under load, not going straight.
Iíve read numerous forums on adjusting the gearbox, but I havenít found anybody that had this specific problem or solution. Thank you in advance for any information that I can use. Be safe

Npkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Is this an issue at all speeds , or just when doing parking maneuvers?

Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Could be low on hydraulic fluid or have air in the lines. Check the reservoir and the lines from the pump to the steering gear.
The whine is usually the fluid or the pump back on the engine.

Adjusting the gearbox normally moves the gears closer together to remove play in the steering wheel.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the responses. The pulsating is most noticeable at slower speeds but it’s definitely constant. There’s plenty of fluid in the reservoir, which I plan on flushing and replacing tomorrow. Thank you again.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

The pulsating is likely the pressure relief poppets releasing and resetting. Mine will do this if I try to turn the wheel while not moving.

Did this coincide with the addition of the steering stabilization device? If so the added resistance may be enough to trip the poppets at slow speeds.

I hear the whine or whoosh of fluid through the steering gear box while making slow speed maneuvers.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Try this !
Check the fluid level--Start and turn the wheel back and forth.
Turn the wheel to the far left and Shut it off overnight in that far left position.- Try it the next day - it should bleed the air out.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #7

Hello all, We have a 2006 Phaeton since new what you hear is most likely normal. Sounds odd but is all good.
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Whining and Pulsating isn't normal at all
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I drained and flushed from the gearbox back to the pump and reservoir. Then filled reservoir while turning the steering wheel lock to lock. This was supposed to get all of the bubbles out but it didn’t. Steering is a lot quieter now but I still see bubbles in tank. The 1/2” hose barb elbow coming from the bottom of the reservoir snapped in half(of course) so I had to replace that. Freightliner doesn’t mention draining the gearbox for some reason, but I did because it holds about a quart of oil. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

Tags
noise, steering