Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Steering issue

Getting ready to purchase 2003 Newmar 40. While test driving found myself
Constantly working wheel on flat road with little wind. Has anyone installed
computerized steering device such as Blue Ox to help with this issu?
Copilot112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Is this your first encounter with a large Class A. If you are familiar with the steering of a large unit then You should take recommendations form others who have installed systems which can help but are usually fairly pricey. If this is you first try you might want to get a little more used to the steering. Tires are also a factor. I am sure you will get all the information you have time to read on this topic. I got my wife used to the steering but getting her to watch the center lane stripe in the rear view mirror and watching a point on the bottom front of the windshield which aligned with the right side of the roadway. Her feel of wandering was eliminated doing this.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
People try to drive a MH like a car and it doesn't work that way. It's more akin to piloting a boat/yacht than a car. You have to look further down the road and use gentle, small corrections. I talked to FL support sometime around 2000 about the "problem", they said to plant both elbows on the arm rests and steer with my wrists.
Both our 2000 and 2002 DSDP had no problems BUT check the ball joints in the steering gear. The rubber boots are a known failure point and cost about $2000 to replace if bad.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Yes to what Mr D said on the ball joints and what others have said about getting several hundred miles driving under your belt. Also check tires and alignment before you spend money on the Blue Ox.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
People try to drive a MH like a car and it doesn't work that way. It's more akin to piloting a boat/yacht than a car. You have to look further down the road and use gentle, small corrections. I talked to FL support sometime around 2000 about the "problem", they said to plant both elbows on the arm rests and steer with my wrists.
Both our 2000 and 2002 DSDP had no problems BUT check the ball joints in the steering gear. The rubber boots are a known failure point and cost about $2000 to replace if bad.
I agree with Mr.D 100%. New ball joints and a set of Koni Shocks at 70,000 miles made my DDDP into a whole new ride but, you will have to get used to driving your MH as he said.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #6

Understood. Just moving off 72' Trawler and as pilot (34 yrs USAF) so familiar with both. Newmar has conform steering later models. Trying to replicate.
Copilot112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I agree with Mr.D 100%. New ball joints and a set of Koni Shocks at 70,000 miles made my DDDP into a whole new ride but, you will have to get used to driving your MH as he said.
Was it a $3,000 job for the ball joints?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Even a 2003 Newmar ought to drive quite nicely, so I would start by getting the tire pressures calibrated right for the weight & tire size, alignment tuned up and maybe new shocks (though shocks really have no steering effect except on bump-steer).

The comments from others rather driving technique are valid, though. Your muscle-memory for driving was built on a car and takes some re-training to learn the different driving position of a Class A and its effect on your automatic responses. Your yacht & plane experience equips you intellectually, but your driving skill is still attuned to cars. The high, cab-forward driver position throws your instinctive responses off and the result is almost invariably exactly what you describe.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Was it a $3,000 job for the ball joints?

It was about 3K in total for ball joints and front Shocks.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #10

As others have said, alignment, ride height adjustments, new tires and their pressures are all so very important. What age are the tires? When I replace the original Goodyear tires with Bridgestone tires, that made all the difference in the world in the steering stability. Like has been said, your coach should drive very nice indeed...if everything is fixed properly.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owgster View Post
Understood. Just moving off 72' Trawler and as pilot (34 yrs USAF) so familiar with both. Newmar has conform steering later models. Trying to replicate.
You won't replicate comfort steer. Closest is Blue Ox Trucenter, about $1200-1500. At best it's like a yaw trim...nothing automatic / computerized. I got one, I love it...does all I need. I will keep my Century 4000 in the plane, the motorhome has good roll control and altitude hold built in.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
All valid suggestions. Tru- Center is on my wish list, as is Koni shocks. Notice wish list: not something I need, something I would like to have.

However, check air pressures, tire condition, you may need a sway bar if you get moved around a lot when an 18 wheeler passes you. One point I didn't see, if your windshield is two piece, if you align the middle window seam bottom with the edge of the road visually, you will be centered in your lane, for a good reference point. And those narrow construction lanes: look way down the lane....DO NOT look close. If the big truck can go thru it, so can you. Enjoy....your going to love it!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased my 2006 Itasca Meridian just over two years ago. Like you It seemed I was always working the steering wheel to keep it straight. I drove it for a year and got really good at anticipating the wind and road. It became easier but not what I would call comfortable. I looked into all of the steering assist devices and decided that the Blu-Ox best fit my needs. Fortunately before I got around to having it installed I discovered a leak in my front air bags and took my home to Freightliner to have new bags installed. When I picked up the home they handed me 8 or so rubber bushings from the steering system that had completely come apart. They charged me an addition $20 and sent me on my way. I was amazed at how well my home drives now. If you haven't had the steering bushings checked I highly recommend you do the next time you are in for service. Good Luck.
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would also make sure you don't have any freeplay in the steering box. Some have adjustments.

Tags
steering