Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I have a '93 HR DP with a Safe-T-Plus.

It would normally track very well but by the time we got through Louisiana to Texas it was all over the road. Figuring the alignment had been knocked out I had it aligned at a truck shop; their alignment very closely matched the original alignment sheet from 1993.

But it was still over the road and on a crowned road would tend to dive for the weeds. It was work to drive the thing.

I got to wondering about the Safe-T-Plus and thought that maybe the clamp had slid along the link a little and that was pulling me to the right so I had a shop take a look at it. Turned out the Safe-T-Plus had been busted loose from the mount and was dangling by one mostly-stripped bolt.

After getting that fixed the MH was running on rails again and I don't get pushed around by trucks.

So for me that was a dramatic demonstration of the effectiveness of the device.
Did you have a total alignment or only front end? A total alignment will correct an incorrect thrust angle and front end alignment.
When I had our MH total aligned the rear axle was out by 3/4" which made it hard to hold in a straight line when driving. After the total alignment our MH drives/steers more like my Silverado pickup.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So what is the trick to getting on center the first try? Simply aligning your wheel straight ?
I don't have or installed one but I have read on another site from a fella that has installed a few and he takes coach to a large parking lot and then loosens the u bolts as if you were going to adjust it. he then drives the coach straight in lot for 100 feet or so then tightens u bolt.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So what is the trick to getting on center the first try? Simply aligning your wheel straight ?
There's nothing to it. Some say to put a piece of masking tape at the top of the steering wheel as you're going down the road and make sure to have the tape in the same position when you tighten down the stabilizer clamp. I was able to eyeball it just looking at the position of the steering wheel spokes and got it on the first try. It's a simple adjustment, provided you don't mind climbing under your motor home and loosening a couple u-clamps. No big deal if you miss on the first try and have to do it again.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:48 AM   #32

I have a blue ox tru center. I purchased it because I liked the idea that it was adjustable while underway. I hooked up a foot pedal to it instead of the toggle switch that comes with it. Nice to be able to adjust for wind and road crown.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I just added the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer to my Freightliner XC chassis. Easy install, got it on center 1st time.
1st it helped with cross winds.
2nd it helped a little with trucks blowing us around.
3rd it made the steering less responsive. A little Numb like.
4th steering off center was slightly harder, but not offensively hard.
5th it may have reduced my turning radius. Not sure yet.
Would I do it again?
60% yes. I bought it for #1& 2.
One hand driving very easy now.
I just bought the Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer which I haven't installed yet as waiting for the recomended RBK18 mounting brackets. Are these the brackets you used? I have a Class A Diesel Pusher (Sportscoach SRS 339DS) built on a Freightliner XCS chassis with V-Ride and air bags. I was wondering about the RSSA limiting the wheel cut to below 55 degrees. Would it be possible for you to turn the wheel hard and verify that the RSSA's spring isn't fully compressed. If fully compressed when turning then the wheel cut is being reduced.
Thx,
Marc
mgoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
There's nothing to it. Some say to put a piece of masking tape at the top of the steering wheel as you're going down the road and make sure to have the tape in the same position when you tighten down the stabilizer clamp.

That's what I did before installing mine, tape on the steering wheel and another one on the dash and helper holding in that position before tightening the stabilizer clamp. No adjustments were needed after installation. Just need to find a level road to set up the tape markers before start of the installation.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Question......I need HONEST opinions..From experienced users...Would a steering stabilizer on a 34 foot class a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher, leaf spring coach, really help the "Pushing and wandering sensation" felt while operating this bus. Please help me. Thanks a lot......MOMCAT
Having too little caster will generate a steering dead "do nothing" zone between left and right at highway speeds.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering