Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer/centering

has anyone installed a stabilizer then removed it due to having to fight the centering while steering into a crosswind.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Didn’t install it but did remove because it made driving tiring. Made an adjustable mount so I can change where center is on the fly.

Here is my DIY mount: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mak...le-451209.html
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I've driven my MH in crosswind a couple times now, and really didn't notice a problem with centering. I have a Roadmaster steering stabilizer.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Safe-T installed and handling is much better. No problem at all.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogmax View Post
has anyone installed a stabilizer then removed it due to having to fight the centering while steering into a crosswind.
I don't know why it would have an odd effect on Monaco products, possibly the Roadmaster chassis, but when I installed one on my 2005 Diplomat, it increased the steering effort and was very tiring. I removed the stabilizer and kept the bracket. The bracket was the same bracket used for a product called True Center, which allowed you to electrically center the steering in crosswinds and road crown. I loved that product, which is now a proprietary system used on Newmar coaches, called Comfort Steer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I've driven my MH in crosswind a couple times now, and really didn't notice a problem with centering. I have a Roadmaster steering stabilizer.
Same for me. No centering problems noticed.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you know it was installed correctly?

Your questions seems to be a contradiction? I have Safe T Plus

I had a Spring shop install the brackets but I mounted and aligned the Stabilizer. ( I wanted to know how it was done if I ever needed to adjust)

It took me 5 times before I got it dead center If I on a flat road with no wind, I can let the steering wheel go and the coach drives straight.
Note: All TIRES MUST BE PROPERLY INFLATED

It is a major difference for me; but I think there are other factors in my case as my RV was new.

1. With more experience, I am not as spooked with trucks or wind
2. I tend to drive a tad faster; so I have fewer trucks trying to pass me from the rear (something about a truck taking overtaking you from the rear, I use to feel it all the time) but with the stabilizer not so much.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
“ crosswind a couple times now, and really didn’t notice”, “How do you know it’s adjusted” or “no centering problems”... from ^^^^ and all gas MH owners.

You might want to read the first part of my post/link above for more info on why I made the Safe-T-+ adjustable on the fly instead of throwing it away. Yes, in perfect conditions... no crosswind and little crown to the road it’s OK.

Out West you are driving in crosswinds most of the time. With a crosswind, holding against the 230 lbs makes driving noticeably tiring... without it, I put in multiple 12+ hour days without getting tired based on 80K miles without it on the same chassis. After 4K miles with it on my “new” rig with one, I disconnected it. Because it’s supposed to help in a blow out I decided to make it adjustable instead of throwing it away... would not have bought one.

For some reason gas MH owners like a stabilizer more often than DP owners...the nut behind the steering wheel needs tighten in gas MHs. Safe-T-+ even brags that their stabilizer makes it harder to over steer the rig. A sloppy handling rig is made worse by over steering it which is easy to do. A stabilizer makes it harder to over steer it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've put the Roadmaster Relflex steering stabilizer on my DP 41' Discovery and my 24' Minnie class C. Both improved centering, winds, around trucks and if we get a flat. Its helped the Minnie more. Money well spent. Would do again. Paid for with credit card rewards. At first they added some effort but after a few hundred miles thats gone.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

Very happy with the Safe T Steer,it's on to stay.It helps with the cross winds in our coach.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #11

I was looking at the roadmaster stabilizer but found they may not make it anymore, anyway I found looking over things safe-t-plus makes an add on to a stabilizer I already have to hold the steering like the roadmaster does so I ordered it, its called Supersteer Trim unit.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
Very happy with the Safe T Steer,it's on to stay.It helps with the cross winds in our coach.
check out the supersteer trim kit for our safe t plus
Old 10-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #13

I also have the safe T plus with the super steer trim unit. It is adjustable on the fly and corrects for winds and road crowns. Great addition.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you read all the posts.....the OP, Ivylog and mine did not work well. The common denominator was that all three were Monaco Roadmaster chassis'. All three created more work (harder to turn the wheel) then the coach was without it. I also felt it was overly taxing my power steering. Again, I believe the Safe-T-Plus just didn't play well with the Roadmaster chassis, which was a whole different beast.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering