RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

Steering Stabilizer on new Ford V8 chassis?

Has anyone put a steering stabilizer on the new V8 Ford Chassis in a Class A motorhome? If so, which stabilizer, and does it make a big enough difference to warrant the purchase?
I know these make a big difference on the former V10 chassis. Just received our new Coachmen Mirada with the V8, and the steering is a little scary in windy conditions.
Thanks!
Stevendj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

Assuming Roadmaster makes a stabilizer for the new Ford chassis, I can't see where it would hurt and would be a benefit in the case of a front tire blowout. But, there are other things to consider.

After loading your rig with gear, have you had the front end aligned? Check your owners manual to see if this is recommended as it is with my Bay Star. It seems best to have it aligned with the weight as close as it can be to actual traveling conditions.

Secondly, have your tire pressure set based upon the actual wheel or axle weights of your rig and the inflation table that is provided (hopefully) by the tire manufacturer. The ride and handling of my Bay Star improved after getting the front end aligned and adjusting the tire pressures, and I allowed a bit of room for safety.

After that, all you can do is try to see what others are learning about the new chassis and whether heavier sway bars are an option or worth doing.

And, since I don't know what motor home experience you've had, I'll just say that when it's windy, you have to monitor your speed. I keep my speed at 65 mph or lower because of the towing restrictions of my toad (Malibu), but find in bad crosswinds that it's better to keep the speed around 55 to 60 mph.

I've recently tried following one suggestion which is driving with a full tank of fresh water. There is some thought that it helps with ride quality and stability. I've only done it for one trip, so I can't say whether it's a good idea or not and with the new chassis...who knows?

Good luck with your new rig and many safe travels!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #3

I've had Roadmasters on probably half my gas motorhomes and never could tell the difference between with and without.

Our current Newmar didn't have one when we got it new. Used it for about 6 months before installing the Roadmaster and nothing changed that I could tell. The say it helps with a blowout but I've never had to test that claim.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I've had Roadmasters on probably half my gas motorhomes and never could tell the difference between with and without.

Our current Newmar didn't have one when we got it new. Used it for about 6 months before installing the Roadmaster and nothing changed that I could tell. The say it helps with a blowout but I've never had to test that claim.
On my previous MH I had the Reflex (now Roadmaster) installed, and on my current one I have the Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer installed. I both cases, I had them installed as a safety item in case of a steer tire blowout. In neither installation did I ever feel a resultant difference or influence on directional control or stability. But blowouts do occur, and based on what I've read on the subject and heard in various workshops at RV rallies, I think this is a very appropriate safety item investment. I don't hesitate to recommend, for what that might be worth to you, that you invest in one as well.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #5

I would recommend the stabilizer products from Henderson's Line Up, as they make products for many different configurations and chassis. They recommend a correction based not only on the chassis but also the length, weight, and wheelbase.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford, steering