Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #1

Steering wheel controls issues.

brand new here. Purchased a new to us 2008 Mountain aire 4523. dealer said wipers were not working properly due to the smart wheel control module needing replaced. I agreed to have them ship me one from spartan and I would install. Thus said part arrived and installed. Didnt fix issue. lets go back and explain issue. first off wheel has left control that does cruise that worked when it wanted to. and a toggle for tilt wheel as well as another spot for a toggle that is not there. What does that switch do? Left control panel has wiper functions as well as 2 toggles that operate tele wheel and adjustable pedals. Wipers were very slow. After installing new Module nothing worked but the right side toggles made wipers go. Spartan sain Clock wheel. Why would old module mostly work and new was way worse. Ant help would be appreciated. New to Class a. Had several large fifth wheels. TIA.
LaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

I agree that at least some of the issues are likely caused by the clock spring from the sounds of it. With the right schematic you would probably be able to ohm each signal from the computer through the relays/connections.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It might be the clock spring in the steering wheel. You will have to determine which steering column you have to get the right clock spring. There may be a sticker or label on the steering column. Worse case scenario would be to pull the clock spring to get the part number

In my case, the steering column is a Douglas Autotech. Here is a bulletin on how to remove my clock spring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D10106 Clock spring bulletins.pdf (349.9 KB, 4 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #4

Jim,
How do you determine steering column brand? My smart wheel is starting to give some intermittent issues.

thanks
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Well, for me it was pretty easy, I have a copy of the parts page which had the Vendor info and part number. From there I found a source for the clock spring along with the service bulletin.

Here is my parts page & link to clock spring source https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/clock...3-p/190063.htm

My guess it would be the same as yours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Steering Colunm Assembly.pdf (151.2 KB, 4 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering