Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 04:52 PM   #1

Steering wheel shakes hitting bumps

I have a 2011 Tiffin BR28 Breeze When driving down highway 60mph+ and I hit rough road or marker dots the whole steering wheel shakes. RV has 19.5 tires no bad spots that I can see, Has steering stabilizer only have 8400 miles on it shocks are stock from factory. Any Ideas Thanks
Reno Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #2

Sounds like something loose in the front steering/suspension components. Shocks, tie rod ends, linkage. Not a mechanic but have done a lot of my own work on my vehicles over the years.
lwfox002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwfox002 View Post
Sounds like something loose in the front steering/suspension components. Shocks, tie rod ends, linkage. Not a mechanic but have done a lot of my own work on my vehicles over the years.
Sir, sounds like bad shocks. Your shocks are over 10 years old and it sounds like they are weak. Also as someone else has said could be a warn component in the front end. The cheapest fix first would be to replace your front shocks. Hope this helps, good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #4

Agree that you have steering components that are worn. Very important to have the system inspected and replace the pieces that are suspect.
And new shocks might not fix that problem but can sure make the rig ride nicer.
Bad shocks (completely blow out) will let the wheel jostle up / down where you feel it in your feet / butt, but that won't typically shake the wheel back and forth like worn tie rod end will.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:49 PM   #5

You are experiencing a dynamic tire balance problem or a crooked tire belt.
A loose steering component will not cause this issue but will exaggerate the problem.

Richard
Old 01-26-2022, 09:13 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Following House Husband's suspicions, jack up one front wheel at a time. Spin the wheel and watch the tread, while sitting in front of it. The tread pattern should stay the same as you rotate the tire. If it at some point has a wave in it, you have a belt separation.

While that one wheel is in the air, grab the front and back of the tire and wiggle, this will tell you if you have any suspension issues. These are pretty heavy-duty front ends, so give it a hard wiggle. while it's still in the air, about an inch off of the ground, place a pry bar under the wheel and try to lift up. This checks for loose ball joints and wheel bearings.

Lower that wheel and do the same checks on the other side.

I doubt your front suspension is bad with such limited mileage, but at least you'll know it's tight after checking and can look elsewhere.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:29 PM   #7

A Tire imbalance is not aggravated by a bump in the road unless the tire is at a speed where the imbalance is almost evident and the bump jostles the wheel just enough to start it's shaking. A loose steering component definitely is affected by the bump and is far more serious if it lets go. Tire speed is where an imbalance shows itself.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #8

Steering wheel shakes

Thanks everyone for the quick responses I will check suspension parts and replace shocks. I also let you know the outcome.
Reno Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had that problem in a class A on a ford chassis , blew the steering shock in the middle of Detroit , hit some rough spots and almost took the steering wheel out of my hands.
slather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #10

Could be one of the things mentioned but with the info given by the OP, my guess is bad shock absorber(s). Of course everything needs to be checked while under there.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Garcia View Post
I have a 2011 Tiffin BR28 Breeze When driving down highway 60mph+ and I hit rough road or marker dots the whole steering wheel shakes. RV has 19.5 tires no bad spots that I can see, Has steering stabilizer only have 8400 miles on it shocks are stock from factory. Any Ideas Thanks

Is this a new problem?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #12

Right before I clicked into this thread I said I wonder if he has a Breeze. My 32’ Breeze does the same thing. We’re not talking out of control, but it does shake the wheel if you hit a series of bumps or a single good size crater. I never looked into.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #13

Interested in outcome.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering